No announcement yet.

Online Move-In or Talk To Someone Move-In

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think storage is one of those industries that should embrace new ideas and technologies, but still rely on some old fashioned ways of doing things. New tech at the property and newer software is great, but you need someone who knows what they're doing to keep the place from falling apart.

Comment

dreid, could not have said it any better.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Thanks for all of the input folks. For the most part everyone agrees with exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

I understand some of you allow online reservations and then meet with the person prior to renting to them. I've often wondered how that works in practical application... I'm a jerk that wants a unit, so I go online spend some time looking around and finally reserve one. I spend all day loading my truck and drive to the facility where I have a unit reserved to hold my stuff. I go into the office, announce that I am there an demand my space.

Now I'm the person behind the counter, whom has just realized that this clown is a complete tool and will cause all sorts of problems on my facility.How do I then tactfully (and legally) tell him that he no longer has a reservation and is no longer welcome on my facility?

Or, I walk in waving my online reservation smelling of ether, with 3 teeth left in my head and a large set of bolt cutters hanging off my belt.

Or, I'm a homeless person with no income, no home address, no means by which to communicate with me but a good samaritan reserved me a unit online and I have the paperwork to prove it.

What do you do? I can handle all those things on the fly when someone comes to my door, but none of them have a reservation, with which comes a sense of entitlement to the unit they reserved.

Seems to me a recipe for some bad blood, poor online reviews (you know they're online savvy), and either some uncomfortable situations or tenants you don't really want.

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
            I understand some of you allow online reservations and then meet with the person prior to renting to them. I've often wondered how that works in practical application... I'm a jerk that wants a unit, so I go online spend some time looking around and finally reserve one. I spend all day loading my truck and drive to the facility where I have a unit reserved to hold my stuff. I go into the office, announce that I am there an demand my space.

Now I'm the person behind the counter, whom has just realized that this clown is a complete tool and will cause all sorts of problems on my facility.How do I then tactfully (and legally) tell him that he no longer has a reservation and is no longer welcome on my facility?

Or, I walk in waving my online reservation smelling of ether, with 3 teeth left in my head and a large set of bolt cutters hanging off my belt.

Or, I'm a homeless person with no income, no home address, no means by which to communicate with me but a good samaritan reserved me a unit online and I have the paperwork to prove it.

What do you do? I can handle all those things on the fly when someone comes to my door, but none of them have a reservation, with which comes a sense of entitlement to the unit they reserved.

Seems to me a recipe for some bad blood, poor online reviews (you know they're online savvy), and either some uncomfortable situations or tenants you don't really want.

Good questions Storman. Interested to hear what others are doing as well, specifically in regards to maybe the legality of turning someone away after they have an online reservation and you're not interested in renting to them.

Comment

Usually a sudden development of a problem with the unit that takes it out of the ability to rent, have to have a c/c for auto pay policy, updated just today the late policy where the unit is locked out on first late day and late fees added right then-policies change with no notice at times and my favorite, I am the sheriff and my policies are this and I have no lee way with them and will kick anyone out that thinks policies do not apply to them. Howdy!!!!!!!!

Comment

Private business, we can refuse to anyone we want. I've had people come in and very straight forward said "I need your cheapest unit for my stuff". I ask them what they're going to be storing, how long, etc etc and they get hostile. I've told them to leave and go to one of my competitors because I'm not having that. No customer is worth that much of a headache if it's shown right away-- the ones that bug me are the ones that are nice when they first move in then turn into the ones who always want fees waived, but you don't have anything else on them to justify an eviction. I tell people as long as they pay their rent and don't cause any problems they can rent here as long as they want. I don't take well to rude and demanding people

Comment

On the phone and in person I do get prospective tenants that ask for the cheapest unit as well. I never give a price at that time. I ask what is going to be stored and then I head off the inevitable question of "why" and I say the reason I ask is that I want to know what is being stored at my facility and I am also not going to allow someone with 10x10 items to try and cram in a 5x10 unit and damage my unit. I just come right out and tell them I may run the place a little different than what is expected and that they may want to try another facility. I ask two questions. Is it just boxes and totes only and if so then how many or is there going to be furniture. If there is furniture or items not in boxes and totes then I go room by room and make them stick to that instead of skipping all over. The phrase "household items" is never ever good enough. If they ask for one size only I then ask them if they have had that same size before and I still ask what they are storing. In short, they do not get in here unless they talk to me about what is being stored. People that will not allow me to "steer" the conversation, do not get in here. I never ever like to hear about a manager or owner here that has had a "bad" tenant move in. I feel that sometimes the members we have here get thinned out because they can't or don't want to deal with the dregs we talk about here. Since I have been a member here we have lost some great people that used to be members here.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

That is the same reason I mark all vacant units as "Damaged" so they will not show online and I have to meet and greet face to face.
                    Hey Pac. You do not need to mark these units as damaged! You can completely disable the reserve and/or rent pages altogether if you'd like. Give me a call and I can show you how!
                    Shaina Cossairt
                    Business Development Consultant
                    QuikStor Security & Software
                    tel:800-321-1987
                    fax:818-501-5785
                    shaina@quikstor.com
                    www.quikstor.com

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I say all units but at times I will post one unit of a certain size and sometimes I alternate units on different days but 95% of the time I mark them all damaged. I don't want to disable the reserve/rent each and every time I do this. Easier to mark "damaged". Right?

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                        Thanks for the heads up. I say all units but at times I will post one unit of a certain size and sometimes I alternate units on different days but 95% of the time I mark them all damaged. I don't want to disable the reserve/rent each and every time I do this. Easier to mark "damaged". Right?
                        In this case yes, you are better off carrying on as you are
                        Shaina Cossairt
                        Business Development Consultant
                        QuikStor Security & Software
                        tel:800-321-1987
                        fax:818-501-5785
                        shaina@quikstor.com
                        www.quikstor.com

Comment

Thanks. And thanks for monitoring here with your help. I still use that "second instance" all the time, thanks to you.

Comment

We pioneered online rentals in Australia 7 years ago. We wrote a technology that delivered to the web site unit types and prices, completing the move in into the software. Users could choose a reservation or move in.

As consumers, have become accustomed to using online tech to buy things and order things, we should consider these tools as helpers and not replacements. If your online tech solution handles the paperwork, you can then vet the person on arrival, ultimately it's your call if you let them move in.

It's not an entire automated move in concept, it's just a pre-paperwork and commitment tool.

We will always have deadbeats try to rent spaces, but consider the greater convenience for some of your customers. Our tech has rented over 8,000 online spaces for users. The tech works and can be a great helper to staff on weekends and after hours. It's not a replacement for staff, far from it. In the facilities I had ownership it helped us rent spaces at full price and it helped those who needed to rent space when we were not open. We did not give access, but many want peace of mind that they have rented a space, so when they do turn up they don't have a long move in process.

When I get off the plane and go to the rental car office, I show them my licence and pick up a key. That's because I have already rented the car online. They have the call - no licence, no key. Self Storage rentals can be time consuming and I have overheard many comments in my office that the process was too long. Online rentals shift the the time taken to rent a space into the customer's hands. Put yourself into your customers shoes and you will find that many want the convenience that online rentals offer. It might not be for everybody, but the tech does deliver.
                            Dallas Dogger

Comment

Some awesome points Dallas, (it has been a while, hope all is well). We eliminated on-line rentals here because of illegal activity not deadbeats. Our location would never get a kiosk either. However I do know of facilities that can operate 100% on on-line or kiosk rentals.

We just are not one of them
                              --
                              Ron

http://advancedministorage.com
                              http://zolezzistorage.com
                              http://laws.stocktonstorage.net

email ron at advancedministorage.com

Comment

With our online system, The customer gets an email that they must call the facility to complete the rental. I then get ID and other info, allow them to pick the gate code and give them keys. I never really had a bad feeling with any online rentals yet. Just the other day I was wondering how many Online rentals we had last year. I used the QS report to check. I was surprised to see 32 online rentals. I would like more but that's OK. They paid the street rate. I sometimes have been asked about discounts. I will give them depending on # of vacant units.
                                Joe Krezdorn
                                DAK Self Storage
                                Leesport, PA 19533
                                www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• QuickTrip
                                  Reply to Pie in the Sky
                                  QuickTrip
                                  UPDATE: Just chatted with a manager who's been with the company since its conception (almost 30 years), and she said she would have done the same as me. If it's not in the tenant's notepad where all correspondence goes, or has had an edit done which would show up in the View which shows all transactions,...
                                  Today, 03:39 PM
                                • RandyL
                                  Reply to Looking into adding Solar Panels
                                  RandyL
                                  Project number 2 is just about complete

Since I know I will be asked this question, the white/gray areas on the roof is flex seal. One lesson I learnt while doing this is to have leaf blower/magnet with you while screwing on the roof. I didn't clean...
                                  Today, 02:16 PM
                                • StrongTeam
                                  Reply to The Hiring Process
                                  StrongTeam
                                  We found our current position on Working Couples. We emailed our resumes and the owner called and talked to me about the office, but talked in length to my husband about maintenance.

Later that day we received an email with pictures of the apartment and a offer letter which had everything...
                                  Today, 09:59 AM
                                Working...
                                X