Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Tailgating/piggybacking, and how to prevent it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
    I know we already have to say so many things to new tenants.

But you may want to start saying....
    In order to prevent tailgaters, please, after gaining access and are through the gate, new tenant, you may want to stop your car and allow the gate to auto shut, especially if you see a car behind you.

I know it's a lot to say but I have said it to many tenants!
    Depending on what kind of gate you have, and the location of the safety loops, this may or may not be effective.

If the tailgater drives up onto the "outside" loop before the first car has cleared the "inside" loop, then the gate (usually) is not going to close, no matter how long they wait. This is because the safety device is holding it open, and they are usually set to what is termed "infinite presence" which means the device will not time out and let the gate close until the loop does not detect anything above it.

Most slide gate operators will open to their maximum extent, wait several seconds, and then close. This is an invitation for tailgaters. However, some slide gate operators have what is called a "quick-close" circuit that can detect as soon as a car has driven through. Once they do, the gate will stop and immediately start to close.

Also, most gates would stop and re-open if a car pulled onto the safety loop while the gate was closing. Some gate operators have an option that can be set so that the gate only stops, and does not reopen if a vehicle is detected. Once the loop is clear, the gate will continue to close.

Check your gate operator and see if either one of these options is available.

Robert Toy
    PTI Security Systems

Comment

That loop, like Robert was talking about, is looking for metal above it. It is a magnetic field. My golf cart will activate it as well as any car/truck/RV. Have not paid attention to motorcycle or a bike but know a person will not hold the gate open unless maybe they have a set of teeth like "Jaws" did in the 007 movie.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        Well again, I think that would put a tenant on a hot seat and I would not tell them they are culpable if a tailgater comes in behind them.
        I suppose you are right. However, moving forward maybe mention to all tenants that it is a rule? Every person must pull forward and stop to make sure no one tailgates them in. Maybe post a large visible sign at the gate for said instructions. And assure them that it is for their own good, and for the protection of all tenants belongings.

Comment

And ya know what else ....
          I have always thought to myself...............
          What if..................a tenant tailgates in, goes to their unit, goes inside their unit and THEN has a heart attack.
          I have no record of them even coming in and I would not know, by looking at the activity log.

With ensuring that each and every tenant codes in..there is a record of them being on the property.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by PKStorage View Post

That's a great point. Would be wise to inform all new tenants that tailgating is not allowed, and that they are to ensure that the gate closes behind them with no tailgaters. They are responsible to inform the office/management immediately of any tailgaters on the property, as those persons are technically trespassing and those who allow them in are also in violation of the law.

(Not sure if legally they could be held liable for helping others trespass, but doesn't hurt to inform them of such with strict wording to make sure they are aware that you are serious in regards to tailgating).
            Our tenants are not only happy to do that for us, but it makes them feel important LOL. They love the extra mile we go for security.

Tailgating has been an issue for years in our business. Fortunately, we only have a few bad apples and most are good.

danikahsafestor You are doing a great job doing everything you can. Don't let this make you crazy.
            Stephanie Tharpe
            Senior VP of Operations
            A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
            Nashville, TN
            http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
            www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by Select Merchant Solutions View Post

I suppose you are right. However, moving forward maybe mention to all tenants that it is a rule? Every person must pull forward and stop to make sure no one tailgates them in. Maybe post a large visible sign at the gate for said instructions. And assure them that it is for their own good, and for the protection of all tenants belongings.
              I can wrap my head around this approach. I do make sure that ALL tenants understand that I will not put up with tailgating and some of them do stop and make sure the gate closes. The extra push about safety and security is a great way to get that across.

Comment

It's been a week since I instated the anti passback settings on my gate. There have of course been a handful of tenants who speed on in behind someone else and then can't get out, but those who have were very understanding of the change and our reasoning. So far I haven't had to "Scold" anyone and haven't had repeat offenders.

So far I'd call this a win!
                Give them an inch, they'll take a mile!

Comment

Cheers to that!

Comment

I should think that most gates operate on a timed basis, but I'm sure you can get one that's on sensor to limit the tailgating issue. I'm surprised how many people actually just brave getting their vehicles smashed because they would prefer to tailgate instead of call up the office to reset their codes or even manually open the gates up for them. You'd think you were asking them to donate an arm and a leg rather than trying to make their lives easier when they call.
                    storage Inner West

Comment

Originally posted by MarkSindone View Post
                      I should think that most gates operate on a timed basis, but I'm sure you can get one that's on sensor to limit the tailgating issue. I'm surprised how many people actually just brave getting their vehicles smashed because they would prefer to tailgate instead of call up the office to reset their codes or even manually open the gates up for them. You'd think you were asking them to donate an arm and a leg rather than trying to make their lives easier when they call.
                      That would require basic thinking and lots of people don't do that. They are "entitled" to get past that gate no matter what. Never ever would they ever admit to tailgating if the gate does hit their vehicle and they come to you wanting payment for damage. There is always at least one inmate who wants to run the asylum. "Would you like me to play the security camera for you so YOU can see what YOU did?"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X