Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Site link + Digi Gate lockup setting for a unit and a mailbox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site link + Digi Gate lockup setting for a unit and a mailbox

I'm not sure if I asked about this already. If I did, I apologize. This has become an ongoing issue for us, so I'm wondering how you guys fix this with your setup?

Let's say, a customer has a storage unit and a mail box. Both are due on the same day & are set up under one account. The mailbox doesn't have any late fee on it. (It's just straight $10/mo.) The storage unit does have a late fee.

Say, today the customer went late. So the site link locks up the storage unit in the gate but not the mailbox. Since both are linked in Digi gate software, the customer can still get in using mailbox entry. I tried to change the code on the mail box to some random number but it changed both the unit and the mailbox even though I did just the mail box.

So what do you do in this case?

Just manually suspend the mailbox code in digi.

Although I am a bit confused but it has been a few years since I used Sitelink. You are saying they are set up under 1 account then why do they have 2 gate codes?

Comment

Unlink them in your system and know that when a tenant is locked out for anything, they are trespassing if on the premises when not current.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

@evets it's one account in site link (accounting software) but there are two different units in the gate software (Digi Gate for Windows.) Site link overwrites all settings that we apply manually in Digi, that is why I usually try to do it via Site link.

@pacnwstorage can you give more details on what you mean by "unlinking it?"

Comment

So, it sounds to me like this tenant has 2 gate codes? Does he use one for the unit and the other for the mailbox? You should either remove the mailbox code, or, if you can, overlock his unit so he can't access it with the mailbox code. Personally, I would remove the mailbox code, either way he's entering your property. If he's past due with his unit and unable to get his mail, maybe he'll start paying on time.
          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

No. Sorry. I know it's confusing.

2 units in Digi (say 123 and MB1), 1 account in site link under the customer name.

If I to go to his account in Site link, and then click the button to the right off his name, it lets me change the code but it does so on both units.

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post
              @evets it's one account in site link (accounting software) but there are two different units in the gate software (Digi Gate for Windows.) Site link overwrites all settings that we apply manually in Digi, that is why I usually try to do it via Site link.

@pacnwstorage can you give more details on what you mean by "unlinking it?"
              In my QuikStor system I can link units together that have the same name. I can also unlink them and treat each unit as a separate unit. The linking together helps when they make a payment for the total of all units instead of having to do each payment transaction as a separate payment. When unlinked it is like they are two separate people even though the name is exactly the same.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Sounds like it is a Sitelink issue but I would still try and reset Digi. It is easy and may clear it up for you. In case you are not sure how to do it....Pull up Digi, Click Utility, then the top 3 options in order. 1: Clear SysCon. 2: Set Controller. 3: Download all..I do this whenever I have issues with Digi and it fixes many of the problems.

Comment

Hi, I hope that I'll be able to help you out.

1: Units will automatically be linked together in the Digigate program when they have the same access code.

2: When you do a download of information from SiteLink or change the units access code in SiteLink, it's sending both of these units information to the Digigate program through the text file that is used to transfer information between the two programs.

3: DigiGate reads this text file in the order it was written. It's probably reading the information for the regular unit first. Digigate looks at the access code, sees you have two "units" with that code, and makes both of the units delinquent in DigiGate.

4: Then it reads the next line of information, which is for the mailbox unit and that is not delinquent. Again, it sees you have two units with that access code, and it sets the status for both items in Digigate back to paid up.

5: Doing a clear/set/download will not help in this situation. Won't hurt it either.

6: As you've discovered, changing the status in Digi won't stick, because the next download you do from SiteLink will overwrite whatever changes you made.

7: The only ways to fix this would be:

A: That you'd have to make the mailbox item delinquent in SiteLink, or

B: That you can unlink the mailbox from the unit in Sitelink, and give the mailbox a code that the customer doesn't know about. This would require the customer to have two accounts in SiteLink, probably.

If you have any questions you can PM me.

Robert Toy
                  PTI Security Systems.

Comment

Thank you all for your input. And, yes, Robert, I think you're spot on. We're doing the option A, by manually setting the MB in Site link to "always over-lock." That setting is dangerous though because it also relies on a manual action to remove that setting when the customer pays up. As otherwise they will be still locked up in the gate, which, as you can imagine would NOT be good from a customer service perspective! Additionally someone needs to catch the moment when such a customer goes late to enable that setting.

Your option B unfortunately is also inconvenient from the billing and payment side. We will have to send two bills for each unlinked unit (which will waste money) and be confusing for a customer. Also will require extra steps (precaution) when taking his payment. We will need to remember that there are two units under one name, and switch between them when the customer makes a payment.

In other words, both options are quite inconvenient. That is why I was asking people on this forum for a solution that they might have come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post
                      Thank you all for your input. And, yes, Robert, I think you're spot on. We're doing the option A, by manually setting the MB in Site link to "always over-lock." That setting is dangerous though because it also relies on a manual action to remove that setting when the customer pays up. As otherwise they will be still locked up in the gate, which, as you can imagine would NOT be good from a customer service perspective! Additionally someone needs to catch the moment when such a customer goes late to enable that setting.

Your option B unfortunately is also inconvenient from the billing and payment side. We will have to send two bills for each unlinked unit (which will waste money) and be confusing for a customer. Also will require extra steps (precaution) when taking his payment. We will need to remember that there are two units under one name, and switch between them when the customer makes a payment.

In other words, both options are quite inconvenient. That is why I was asking people on this forum for a solution that they might have come up with.
                      Yes, I understand that it's a case of "the lesser of two evils". It's because of the nature of the access control system that the access code is the "key" that it's all based on.

One other solution that might work, although it might be equally unpalatable to you, would be to change your unit number scheme so that the main unit is alphanumerically after the mailbox unit. This would work if SiteLink sends the data with the numbers in alphanumeric order. This way, the regular unit would be read by DigiGate after the mailbox unit, and therefor it's status would be the last one seen and used by DigiGate.

SiteLink might not sort the units alphanumerically when it sends them to DigiGate. It might send them in the order they were written to the database when the program was first set up. That would have to be determined by looking at an example of the interface text file.

This may be more trouble to you than it's worth though, as it would probably require you to manually transfer a tenant from one unit to another. Plus, if you have a DigiGraphics site plan display, it would cause that to stop working and require a paid update to the plan.

Robert Toy
                      PTI Security Systems

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                        Reply to Live PD Party
                        pacnwstorage
                        So, "Who knew gophers were tee toddlers?" LMFAO! At least it wasn't a pinky swear.
                        Today, 09:39 PM
                      • newstorageguy
                        Reply to Hello Group
                        newstorageguy
                        lol... well, very inexperienced will be me. And if they are sleeping in the unit in January they will be frozen quickly in our area...... I know i will be relying on all of our expertise at that time. Bring on January 2. thanks,...
                        Yesterday, 11:41 PM
                      • pacnwstorage
                        Reply to Hello Group
                        pacnwstorage
                        Well then, come January, when the first excuse for non payment or you catch a sleeper in a unit or have to deal with figuring out if you should rent to a person or just overlook the joint behind their ear and the beer can in their hand, you will be "experienced" and have to learn how to swim...
                        Yesterday, 11:22 PM
                      Working...
                      X