The Value of SST

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Value of SST

SST will turn NINE in January. Hard to believe! Whether you're new to the site or you've been with us since day one, I'd love to hear what you value about this community. What have you learned? How has it impacted your career or even your personal life? How does it make you a better owner or manager? Why would you recommend SST to other storage professionals?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Recommend because if they have a question, the answer is likely here.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

With me never having been in this business before I started here, it has been a great source of information. Every now and then, someone will have a different take on something that I would not have thought of. Everyone on here is so helpful. We've all "been there, done that" so we get it.
      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

For me, I joined as a new manager and everyone has 'been there and done that' and I know I can ask a question or vent and people will say, "There, there, we've been there too and it's not the end of the world."
        An apple a day keeps ANYONE away if you throw it hard enough.

Comment

This site has opened my eyes about how a storage facility should be run. I have learned so much. Also so much help with tips on what can help in different situations. I am so thankful to everyone who has helped me. And it is a great source for finding out what product is the best for us!

Comment

Having a great community dedicated to the industry that we love has been fantastic. I appreciate all of the people here and recommend this site to each and every Storage Commander user whether they are new to self-storage or an industry veteran!
            Kevin Kerr
            Self Storage Software by Storage Commander
            Kevin@storagecommander.com
            Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

I am new to the industry and this site has proven to be a great resource to find out information, or find where to get information regarding every facet of this industry. Also, the members have the best stories. When I worked in retail, all the Store Managers would talk about creating a site or a group so we could share stories and laugh and cry and hate the same things or people. Well this is exactly what they wanted, and I am glad I found it. There is no greater resource than seeing how someone else does the same job as you. It gives you perspective and insight into something or a different way of doing things. I spend the majority of my time in the office with no one but the owner and the t.v. so these people have become the ones I look forward to talking to.

Comment

I just went back and looked I joined in April 08, which wasn't to long after the site started.

This is by far the single greatest resource any person in the storage industry can use to help learn about the industry. Sure the trade shows are nice and all, but that for the most part is vendors talking to the people. When the people using the products and doing the work get together to share successes and failures they have experienced it is so much more valuable.

It is one of the reasons I enjoy the round tables at the trade shows. It allows you to sit and talk in small groups.

Comment

I have my relief managers read posts on this site. I do tell them that although they can get some good ideas, they can also get advice that is totally wrong most often because of differences in State laws, but sometimes people give advice because they think it's good but had no legal basis. They must understand, as I do, that we often just Vent to blow off steam so they should not take some comments literally.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• dc_2000
                    Manager's compensation question
                    dc_2000
                    Hi everyone;

Even though I've been involved in the self-storage industry for some time now, I mostly do IT. So today one of my friends (who's looking for a job in the Washington state) asked me how much does the self storage manager make in a year? And I realized that I have no idea. I...
                    Today, 12:35 AM
                  • PKStorage
                    Reply to What do you do everyday?
                    PKStorage
                    Thanks again everyone!
                    Yesterday, 08:29 PM
                  • PKStorage
                    What did you pay for your civil engineer?
                    PKStorage
                    I know this is a difficult question to answer / make sense of, but I'm asking it anyway!

I understand markets, land size, construction considerations, etc...will all play a part in how much work your civil engineer might do and charge for, but for the sake of conversation and just to see...
                    Yesterday, 08:15 PM
                  Working...
                  X