Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Expansion Question - 1 Level or Multi?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expansion Question - 1 Level or Multi?

Terri,

Our main need is climate control as our CC units are at 99% with all our vacancy essentially in non climate. While others are coming on line we back up to an interstate with strong sign visibility and this additional parcel would give more visibility in 1 direction immediately off the interstate. I do worry about the logistics of how we can still manage with one manager (about 100 yards away w/1 parcel between).

I noticed a facility outside our market offering larger drive up units with electricity and was considering that for one side of the building. Does anyone do that, I know it could turn into a nightmare depending what they are plugging in? How would you efficiently air condition units for vehicles? with the opening of the doors wouldn't the bills be crazy?

With competitors coming in with multilevel, does staying single level give us a marketing advantage assuming land can be had cheap enough?

Comment

I noticed a facility outside our market offering larger drive up units with electricity and was considering that for one side of the building. Does anyone do that, I know it could turn into a nightmare depending what they are plugging in? How would you efficiently air condition units for vehicles? with the opening of the doors wouldn't the bills be crazy?

We're about to find out. We are going to be retrofitting a large one story building of 10x20's or 10x25's with insulation and a/c for the above mentioned vehicles. The owner has had requests by more than 50 people for that type of storage.

I worked at another property that had a small (30 unit) building that was a/c inside with some exterior a/c units that were larger. Most of the time the doors are closed to keep the air IN so the bill wasn't that high. He had 5 units and they ALWAYS had a waiting list. The big request for a/c is - can I drive right up to the door?......take the information your customers are asking for and tuck it away to use for your future plans!
      Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with our reality! http://www.selfstoragetalk.com/core/...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Terri View Post

When your customers call and you can't help them with their storage needs, what are they asking for? Are you in the middle of an area where wine is used for entertaining? Build a "wine Cellar" facility. Do you have a lot of people asking for specific parking? Build that parking area. Such as where we are, many ask us for air conditioned garages to store their antique vehicles safely. Some of their paint jobs are over $20K so putting out $300 a month to protect that paint job from the Florida sun is a no brainer for them.

Do you have people wanting to store RV's? Put in covered parking with electrical and a dump station if allowed. If there are a lot of competitors around you that are single story, build multilevel. You said that there are many multi-levels going in...is it feasible to be their direct competition?
        Terri how did these vehicle units work out?

Anyone seeing any other niche unit types in demand?

Comment

Originally posted by TDC79 View Post

Terri,

Our main need is climate control as our CC units are at 99% with all our vacancy essentially in non climate. While others are coming on line we back up to an interstate with strong sign visibility and this additional parcel would give more visibility in 1 direction immediately off the interstate. I do worry about the logistics of how we can still manage with one manager (about 100 yards away w/1 parcel between).

With competitors coming in with multilevel, does staying single level give us a marketing advantage assuming land can be had cheap enough?
          Last facility I worked at said NO electricity in units.
          BUT, we had 10 warehouse units that people ran businesses out of, they got free electricity and free internet included with the warehouse. We were ALWAYS full in those.
          This facility has NO power in any units except two, one of which is a drive up garage type unit and the other a large unit that served as an office in the past and is now a unit for a previous manager. This facility is an old converted warehouse and I don't WANT people to have electricity due to the danger of fire.
          I want buns of steel.
          I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by mmidgley View Post

I can honestly say... in my entire life, i have never seen a sloped elevation 2 story storage building... i think the ground work alone for that would be crazy... never mind the engineering fees on the soil bearing walls.
            This is exactly what we have. It is very much like a bank barn. Check the photo's on our webpage ogr google earth.
            Joe Krezdorn
            DAK Self Storage
            Leesport, PA 19533
            www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Unfortunately, Tall Terri isn't in the industry at this time. It looks like other members have advice on the topic.
              Amy Campbell
              Editor
              Inside Self-Storage
              amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• StorageBuddy
                Reply to Green Building and Self-Storage
                StorageBuddy
                Crickets......crickets.... Remember Tom Cruise in the movie Jerry Maguire (...You complete me....You had me at hello)?. He writes a mission statement full of passion and is met by an entire firm of silence.

I guess people who have already built their facility see greenness as an unaffordable...
                Today, 10:41 PM
              • Dave Scott
                Reply to Overlocking
                Dave Scott
                Man you need to get educated and your lease straightened up to what Ill. state laws say about self storage. This guy should have been over locked 60 days ago and up for disposal now. Do you have any units behind on rent and what do you do to them.Do you over lock them?
                Today, 09:45 PM
              • pacnwstorage
                Reply to Overlocking
                pacnwstorage
                Boat trailer or a unit, your freakin' lease should say something about locking out a non paying tenant. Do you have a lease, I guess is the next question? Who drew it up? This type of stuff has been addressed time and time again. Late enough, lock them out, period!

Just what does the lease...
                Today, 09:19 PM
              Working...
              X