Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Builder...New to the Industry.

Newbie alert!

I am new to the industry and new to the forum and thought this would be a good place to start to get some good insight on the self storage space.

I am finishing up building a new facility, about 400 units. I have no software and no gate yet. How early should I be looking into this. I am still 3 months out from opening.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Originally posted by Dee's-Storage View Post
    Newbie alert!

I am new to the industry and new to the forum and thought this would be a good place to start to get some good insight on the self storage space.

I am finishing up building a new facility, about 400 units. I have no software and no gate yet. How early should I be looking into this. I am still 3 months out from opening.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    Quite frankly, you are already behind the curve on this. Should have had this planned out when you started the facility, not after it's almost built. Depending on what kind of access control and security you wanted to have, you may be looking at having to pay a lot more to get it done now. Is your site already paved or had concrete poured for your entrance area? Did you want to have cameras on the buildings? Door Alarms? Do you have an installer for this already lined up? (some of them have a long waiting list of jobs)

So many questions! I'd recommend that you contact whoever you planned on using and see if it's not too late.

Comment

Welcome! I believe you are a little late. Get on this immediately, it is the most important part of your security!

Comment

We are ordering a new lift gate and it is going to take 90 days just to get the gate let alone having it installed and the new key pads installed. You should get some demos on software ordered to practice with. You just do not learn software over night it takes some practice. You want to be ready to rent up.
        Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

I agree you should probably pick your software about 3 months ago, and the gate should really of been selected before you settled on your site plan. How you have the site designed will determine the type of gate that you can install now.

You have no time to waste you need to select software and a web services vendor asap so you can start offering reservations.

Comment

Thanks for all the information everyone.

I have made the plans for the site layout and everything and all the roads are paved and ready to go. I already have a security company installing the cameras in 6-8 weeks. Currently looking into software companies right now. I have narrowed down my search to Easy Storage Solutions, SiteLink, and Web Self Storage. Does anyone have any reviews on those software platforms?

Comment

You have quite a range there on your options for software, I have not used any of the web enabled products you have narrowed down to.

Comment

Sitelink will always be my go-to software as it integrates easily with our gate system. You can create maps of your facility in Sitelink along with standardized letters and auction notices. Best of luck to you!
                Sean Landry, Owner
                Expert Storage Management LLC
                Self Storage Management and Consulting
                504-251-1260
                sean@expertstoragemanagement.com
                www.expertstoragemanagement.com

Comment

Originally posted by seanESM5980 View Post
                  Sitelink will always be my go-to software as it integrates easily with our gate system. You can create maps of your facility in Sitelink along with standardized letters and auction notices. Best of luck to you!
                  Thanks Sean, I have narrowed it down to ESS and SiteLink. I have heard a lot about both companies and will be doing a demo with ESS soon. Is there a reason you like Sitelink besides the fact they have gate integrations that work for you. We have talked to a lot of companies and they all have gate integrations for most of the main vendors it seems. I'm kind of leaning towards ESS right now, so i am just curious as to why you have liked them so much.

Comment

If it were a choice in software to actually do what I as a manager want it to do, also thinking as a future owner. I would choose storage commander. The setup is better and easier to navigate than site link, (I use Site-link now) to be honest I am not in love with it. The only downside to storage commander is that they make you pay a fee for the map They design it for you though.

Comment

Dee - Welcome to the industry! Where is your facility located at?

One thing to think about with Easy Storage is the call center aspect if you ever wanted them to assist you if you needed. Are you going to have an on-site manager?

You'll find we are all willing to help and share information - so you've come to the right place. I'm open to chat if you need anything else!

Comment

Is it already paved where you intend to put your gates? You will need pipes (conduit) underground to run low voltage wires for your gate and security system. If you still have the ability, I'd advise a redundant set of pipes. PVC is cheap. Retrenching and re-surfacing when a pipe goes bad is not. Good luck with your new venture.
                        Gina 6k
                        twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                        VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                        storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                        I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee's-Storage View Post
                          Thanks for all the information everyone.

I have made the plans for the site layout and everything and all the roads are paved and ready to go. I already have a security company installing the cameras in 6-8 weeks. Currently looking into software companies right now. I have narrowed down my search to Easy Storage Solutions, SiteLink, and Web Self Storage. Does anyone have any reviews on those software platforms?
                          We use WebSelfStorage, but that is because we are a Uhaul dealer. Also, there is StorEdge and PTI (?)

Comment

Sitelink is awesome but that's because I used it for 6 years. But it was great because you, as owner, don't have to be onsite to keep an eye on things-you can sign it and get the reports at your fingertips. I never had to send reports to the owners-they could pull them up to see our progress or lack thereof.
                            I want buns of steel.
                            I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Grizz
                              Reply to Pro Rating Lease suggestions
                              Grizz
                              Are all these options available in site-link?
                              Today, 07:00 PM
                            • Grizz
                              Reply to Naming a new facility
                              Grizz
                              City storage.com is perfect. You want the search engines to find you fast and first. And people will search in the cities they are living in or moving to with terms such as "Abq Storage mini storage", outdoor storage, heated storage, etc....

Fancy and fun names dont make the phone...
                              Today, 06:48 PM
                            • Steve_hajewski
                              Reply to Move In Deposit
                              Steve_hajewski
                              I also require no deposit with credit card autopay sign up. I'm around 95% autopay.

Very rarely do i have anyone leave a unit damaged or with junk in it. The bigger problem is people who have cards go bad or don't keep enough balance in checking for debit cards.
                              Today, 06:10 PM
                            Working...
                            X