New Site - On Site Residence or No?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Site - On Site Residence or No?

Noticed many new facilities no longer building manager residences on-site. On national told me that they have eliminated them due to the difficulty of removing an employee when they also reside there. Any thoughts on if you would have one if building new?

I would not build separate living quarters for any staff.

Too many issues when a manager gets let go.

Just don't do it.
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We aren't going to do one - we are going with the completely unmanned model.

Comment

We will have 550 units. I live about 20 minutes away and with new technology it sure makes it easy to monitor any late night activity easy.

Comment

I disagree. Seems the one drawback of moving out a resident manager is what everyone is pointing at is far offset by the advantages of having someone on site. I bet over 80% of tenants prefer on site managers in case there is a problem. Unmanned facilities are a draw to nefarious people.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I can see both sides.

As a resident manager myself I think it is a selling point & it brings customers another level of security that someone who, although not always on the property, is living here. We make sure that everyone knows that we do live here, have cameras and alarms and that we keep an eye on the place. If someone was thinking about messing around it might make them think twice. We have also had a problem with the gate a couple of times before it got fixed and it was nice that my husband could go out and tinker with it to get it to work until the mechanic came with the part. Now I have customers trained not to knock on our front door for their gate code or to ask a silly question.

I agree, technology is great and when we are away we can monitor the facility, talk through the Ring doorbell and look someone up on the computer if needed. We have been here 17 years and if we were let go we would leave, I wouldn't want to be somewhere we are not wanted. Not everyone is like that so I understand that getting rid of a manager could be difficult and expensive.

You have to weight the pros & cons for you & your facility.
            The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

For us, the majority of our locations are in NJ
              In NJ if we "let go" of a resident manager, even with a work contract that states they lose the apartment if they lose their job, we would still have to take that person to eviction court IF they did not leave on their own accord.

So it is different circumstances where your location may be located at.
              Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

There is a thread up right now, "Not sure what to do", of an example of what happens at a facility that has now resident manager. I am not saying that all problems go away with a resident manager but when tenants know that an on site manager is watching there is definitely less chance of those things happening, especially on an ongoing basis.
                "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I live on-site and there are problems with this from my point of view. I would definitely think twice about providing residential facilities to managers. People think they can come knock on my door anytime for any reason. I will tell them the office is closed and they can come back during normal business hours. I also had a problem with our old maintenance/security type fella who would come get me if there was something he didn't want to deal with. There are positives, don't get me wrong. I actually lived here before I became manager, as we have residential rentals as well.
                  AmyLou

Comment

AmyLou For the first 8-9 years of being here when the customers came a knocking we helped them, went out of the way for them and in return we were grossly taken advantage of. On the advice of our supervisor we put a sign on the apartment door that said " We will gladly help you during business hours but like to enjoy our time off. After Hours Fees are $20.00 payable at the time of service and must be cash". We also let customers know during the move in paperwork process that although we live and work here we do not work 24/7. Safeguard their code & key, pay their bill, etc because I am not rushing home from the movies because there is an emergency ( they couldn't remember their combination lock number ). The last 10 years we have collected about $40 to help those after hours.

My husband is the maintenance guy so I am not sure what to tell you about the maintenance guy problem, if you still have him.

Dr Phil says " You teach people how to treat you". It is ok to help but we work hard and want to have a life outside work. Sometimes it is hard to "get away". Best of luck to you.
                    The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

As an owner, the biggest issue I see is if the gate breaks or has issues.

Our design has the housing on the 2nd level with a door at the base of the stairs, this insulates them from having people knock directly on their door.

Still not sure what the best solution is. It would save us about $200k (California $) that could instead go towards a managers salary.

I also realize that even though I live close to the facility that every time there is a real problem, I will somehow be hours away...

Comment

Iamkathleenj, yes I used to go out of my way as well, but learned I can't do that if I wish to have some normalcy in my off hours. My boss/owner is quick to remind me that I need my time off and its ok to say "come back during normal office hours" Thank you for the well wishes!

Sole2Soul, I feel that if you plan to be away for some reason, you may want a back-up person who can answer after-hours calls (in case an emergency does arise).
                        AmyLou

Comment

Originally posted by Sole2Soul View Post
                          As an owner, the biggest issue I see is if the gate breaks or has issues.

Our design has the housing on the 2nd level with a door at the base of the stairs, this insulates them from having people knock directly on their door.

Still not sure what the best solution is. It would save us about $200k (California $) that could instead go towards a managers salary.

I also realize that even though I live close to the facility that every time there is a real problem, I will somehow be hours away...
                          Congrats on building the facility! If the gate breaks you should definitely have a gate company in the area go there for you to fix it. I know the want is to try and save $$, but some things it's definitely worth it to have someone else handle it so your time can be used on other productive tasks.

Comment

I vote for on-site managers for security and emergency issues (gate locking up, etc...)

Comment

We live on site at my husbands job, and more than once we have had after hours emergencies that would have cost the owners thousands in repairs had he not been there to take care of it. A good example is 4th of July- Not sure why people think its a good idea to shoot off fireworks over an industrial area- but they do, every single year. My husband spends hours wetting down the rooftops before he clocks out, hooks up several hoses throughout the property and we stay home from most fireworks shows just so we can watch over the property. There is also the occasional ding dong that comes into the facility at 5 minutes to closing and gets locked in because the gates turn off. He has scared off several potential burglars, by doing after hours rounds ( really its just us getting our walking in, doing laps around the facility, but even so, its still considered checking out the site) His owners have saved a lot of many having him on site for everything from after hours water emergencies, to gate failures, to safety issues. So, I would say from experience it is in the best interest of the owners to have an on site manager. I work at a facility that does not have resident managers- and the tenants know it and take advantage of it big time. They know when closing time comes around they can loiter and make messes in the bathrooms and God knows what else. The building is armed at night of course- but that doesnt stop them from coming in up until 10 PM with their friends.
                              You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
                                Reply to What's your opinion on renting to "non-profits"?
                                RandyL
                                I have non profits I, give units too. I have some I give reduced rent in exchange for advertising, and I have some that pay our full rates. It all depends on what they want.

I don't think just giving away a unit generates anything. But there are groups that I give units too that...
                                Today, 12:26 AM
                              • Storman
                                Reply to In person marketing tomorrow
                                Storman
                                If I drove by your facility and saw your awning, I would assume your URL is storage.com That's not a great place to have any potential customer go to....
                                Yesterday, 11:15 PM
                              • lenmay
                                Reply to In person marketing tomorrow
                                lenmay
                                Of course Google gives little value to a town with a different name. Name of town is the dominate element of a Google search. Not to mention, that New Castle is 4 miles from the center of Renton. Google doesn't even get anywhere close to New Castle until the 12th listing.

Renton is not...
                                Yesterday, 10:02 PM
                              Working...
                              X