Unit Lighting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Lighting

At what size unit do you put lighting in the unit (if at all)? New facility and our largest units will be 10' x 25'. We were thinking of motion activated in units or 10'x20' and larger. They would be wired into a timer so we could set times for them to go off/on that would over ride the motion sensor.

I would not put lighting or any electrical in any units. I guarantee you at some point you will have a tenant(s) try to splice in to that.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

What Pac said. No lights, no electric in any unit here = no problems (well not many problems lol). Put lights on the outside of units, people usually don't need into units when its dark. If they do, point headlights into them

Comment

They can also bring in their own lights that are battery powered. They make LED lights that have a hook that folds out of a recess in the back of the light and also has a magnet to stick to walls with. Multiple lights gives them all they need. There is a facility close to me that was built within the last 1.5 years. They have numerous units with lighting and they have had the problems I speak of. The world is full of entitled people that will break the rules, PERIOD. You install electrical/lights in the units and you will see. I guarantee it.

Comment

Or use a headlamp...and they have those nifty little lights that clip onto baseball caps! We don't have lighting in our units, either, with the exception of our 12x25 heated units. I do have people ask all the time about electrical outlets in the units. We have outlets outside the units next to the light fixtures, but we have to turn the power on to them. They're only for the owner & maintenance fellas. We aren't a place for you to come hang out and tinker, you can do that at home. I had a woman last year who swapped out her studded tires next to her unit (insert laugh emoji)!
          AmyLou

Comment

We have lights in most of our units. We had one person splice into the wires for some reason and he ended up in jail for unrelated crimes. We charge extra if they want to plug in a freezer, fridge or something and make as few extra bucks that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
              We have lights in most of our units. We had one person splice into the wires for some reason and he ended up in jail for unrelated crimes. We charge extra if they want to plug in a freezer, fridge or something and make as few extra bucks that way.
              Good luck if the power goes out with a freezer full of stuff. Have you checked with your insurance company? They may not cover you if one of those catches fire....not worth a few extra bucks in my opinion

Comment

Plus the splicing of the wires is what I was talking about. The reason behind the splicing is strange but even when power is supplied it happens. I bet it had something to do with another tenant using the power and they were not charged at their unit. The usage would go up at the one unit but that tenant likely didn't give 2 craps about that.

Comment

The units are not individually metered so we cant track who uses what.

I think the splicing was to add an outlet for some other electrical device. The guy is/was a tweeker and we believe everything in his unit was stolen but we couldnt prove it.

Comment

If you're building a great site and you're going to charge a healthy rent for all the benefits you have then I'd definitely recommend lighting for the units. Inside lockers that are hall way accessed I try to stick to hallway lights that broadcast enough light to come over the tops of the units and that way you don't need lights in the unit. Drive up only units that are 10x10 and bigger have LED lights that are on sensors. It's best if there accessible when you need to get to them but not easy for your tenant to tamper with. Lighting tech is really changing and you can get long lasting lights that have built in sensors and use very little power.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X