No announcement yet.

Shipping Container Storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume for the ones that are designed to be actual homes they insulate the entirety of the containers quite well. There's a community in my hometown that has actually developed a full "apartment" complex utilizing shipping containers. It's pretty nifty and the designs are quite cool, too. I'm sure if you reach out to them with questions they could give you further info. It's called The Cargo District in Wilmington, NC.

dbd1a83dc2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      I would assume that insulation should be installed in at least the ceiling of a storage container. If you are going to live in it I would assume the insulation would be in the walls as well and maybe under the flooring.
      I agree with the insulation comment by pacnwstorage. But no matter how well or poorly insulated the house, moisture buildup will occur if there isn't adequate ventilation. Think of a house as a big plastic bag. You breath out moisture, your plants respirate, you take a shower, you cook. All these things increase indoor humidity until it reaches 100% saturation and then you will have rain indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        You cannot tell these are shipping containers. How do they control the rain run off and snow?
        I don't think they do anything with the rain and snow. I would think that in their pavement there is some sort of drainage designed in.

Originally posted by StorageBuddy View Post
        mrm267, that is a VERY good looking shipping container. The trim paint looks just as good as metal siding on a commercial building. May I ask what you used to trim the doors? I'm guessing that you used 3"x4"x3/16" angle iron, but that's just a wild guess.

I didn't build these so I am not sure, but some sort of angle iron used. I have also seen 2"x2" used to trim more commonly to frame out the doors..

Are the doors cut in the long side of the shipping container? I can't see the seams where the containers are stacked together. Would be nice to see a better picture of the door jambs.
        The doors are cut into the long side of the 40' container to make four 8'x10' units in each container. They also have other sized units with doors cut into the ends of the contained to similarly look like these making two 8'x20' units.

As well the other sizes you could come up are fairly endless out of a 40' container.

- three 8'x13.3' units
        - five 8'x8' units
        - six 8'x6.5' units
        - one 8'x40
        - one 8'x10' and one 8'x'30'
        - one 8'x15' and one 8'x25'

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

I have a question about these shipping containers, are they climate controlled at all? I ask because a friend of mine built a storage container home and its beautiful but there is a moisture issue that causes mold in her sheet rock. Wondering if moisture or condensation inside these would cause mold growth on boxes or furniture stored inside?
        These are not climate controlled at all an I think generally would never be.

I think they just cut a number a vents in each unit for ventilation and have here that is adequate but also where I am located is a relatively dry climate. I have also seen people spray foam the roofs to help control the humidity and temperature in more humid climates.

Comment

I think I could get used to a shipping container home no problem. It would all be one level. To hell with stairs. It would be shaped like a squared off letter "U" with at least to crossovers in the middle and a double garage that would drive in to the middle, side by side, and have exit doors to living quarters from either side and end of the garage. In my mind that would take 10 containers. When I am dreaming I can spend money like crazy.

"Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Hey, I'm new to this forum. I know this thread is a few months old, but I can't resist myself from replying to it, because we have a shipping container outdoor shed in our backyard. We bought the storage containers (2 containers) from a nearby firm (https://www.securecontainer.ca/shipp...ainer-calgary/,if that helps someone!) apart from that we did everything on our own, it was a DIY project. I had a pretty good experience using containers to build an outdoor storage shed, though it was slightly costlier to do the insulation, we called a pro only for that. At the same time, no one can think of a shipping container room by skipping the insulation part!
            Here in Toronto, we don't need building permits for this. It has been more than a year since we have this outdoor shed, set up cost was minimal excluding the insulation process. Unlike conventional buildings, container homes strictly need regular maintenance, that is the main and only pitfall I came across over this time!
            If you are up to build a shipping container storage, still I won't push you back!
            All the best guys!

Comment

I have looked into this a year or so ago since we have a large paved area that is currently going unused.

We can get "one-trip" units that are 40' long for under $3,000 delivered and placed. 20' and 30' units were also available and a little cheaper. That price included doors on both ends so I would have to build a wall in the middle to make 2 units. I looked into adding overhead doors down the long side and it was around $10k for 4 doors and all the framing/welding from what I remember.

Still a consideration but the owners aren't looking to expand yet

Matt

Comment

https://www.cubesmart.com/california...&utm_term=3748

My first mgt company bought and improved this facility with containers (it was horrendous before-a tetanus shot waiting to happen) and sold it to Cubesmart.
                Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X