Shipping Container Storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Container Storage?

What do you think about shipping containers? Does anyone have this experience? What are the pitfalls?

pic

I remember reading this article about a firm that uses them in Norway: https://www.insideselfstorage.com/mo...orage-business. I've always wanted to use them for an office at the entrance to a facility or for a house or cabin. I will be curious to see what the community replies.
    Sensei, Self-Storage Ninjas
    Black Belt Feasibility Consulting
    www.selfstorageninjas.com
    www.facebook.com/selfstorageninjas

Comment

Storage containers by their very nature of being all metal can be stifling in high heat and should/would be insulated before renting out for storage. I think they are very doable because at any time a facility can be reconfigured if need be. They are virtually impregnable and would not suffer from the recent stories in the threads about the tenants removing walls to gain access to other units or climbing over walls. I like that they would be less expensive to set up a facility with and can be replaced easily as opposed to a permanent structure. I don't see much drawback from them after they are fitted to protect against the outdoor climates. Plus, if someone has a full one and is moving and wants to just load it on a flatbed truck and pay enough for the replacement costs, it is almost like having your personal pod. I don't see how that could be cost effective unless someone would be moving out of the country and especially overseas.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Another thought, you might not need a building permit to install them, no foundation , they are movable.
        Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

We use them for storage and sell them. Property taxes are not affected because they are not permanent structures (check your local laws). We dont do any insulating. They should have ventilation holes or you need to add them or you will get condensation and mold.

Comment

This seems to be becoming more popular where I live in Canada with one 3 acre facility already opened between 2-3 years ago. The facility looks incredibly professional and to be honest is above average whencomparing it to other older facilities in the area. The containers have all been painted and modified with only roll up doors installed to almost look like a traditional facility upon first glance when driving by. Rents appears to be lower than other facilities near by but not sure if that is a due to location (as it is a edge of the city), that is is still in lease up and expansion phase, that is a shipping container storage, or some combination of factors.
            11063622_1697304913889267_8652715657861521726_o.jpg

Comment

You cannot tell these are shipping containers. How do they control the rain run off and snow?

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                You cannot tell these are shipping containers. How do they control the rain run off and snow?
                We have a 300'+ x 40' area with container storage, snow and rain are not an issue. They have a little over a foot of snow on them now

Comment

mrm267, that is a VERY good looking shipping container. The trim paint looks just as good as metal siding on a commercial building. May I ask what you used to trim the doors? I'm guessing that you used 3"x4"x3/16" angle iron, but that's just a wild guess.

One thing I like about containers is that they are indestructible. When someone backs their Uhaul into the building, the truck gets damaged, not the container.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                    We use them for storage and sell them. Property taxes are not affected because they are not permanent structures (check your local laws). We dont do any insulating. They should have ventilation holes or you need to add them or you will get condensation and mold.
                    I agree with you, Grizz. I'm guessing that you live in a conservative state with low taxes.

In many of the high tax areas of the country, local governments collect a tax on property that is used in your business. They don't do this in someone's home, but they send you an annual form asking what office equipment you have and the value, then tax personal property at a much higher rate than real estate tax. The form states that it's a crime to underestimate the market value of your personal property. I would guess that containers would be taxed at the higher rate, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by mrm267 View Post
                      This seems to be becoming more popular where I live in Canada with one 3 acre facility already opened between 2-3 years ago. The facility looks incredibly professional and to be honest is above average whencomparing it to other older facilities in the area. The containers have all been painted and modified with only roll up doors installed to almost look like a traditional facility upon first glance when driving by. Rents appears to be lower than other facilities near by but not sure if that is a due to location (as it is a edge of the city), that is is still in lease up and expansion phase, that is a shipping container storage, or some combination of factors.
                      Are the doors cut in the long side of the shipping container? I can't see the seams where the containers are stacked together. Would be nice to see a better picture of the door jambs.

Comment

We currently utilize containers. We are, however, entirely indoor, temperature-controlled at our facility. I will say, however, that as long as you don't go with the cheapest models, they really don't look bad. We haven't had any complaints. We went with them for the ease of being able to rearrange if necessary and because we don't have to purchase any facilities (we're leasing at the moment) if we don't want to because these don't require any structural alterations.

Comment

Originally posted by mrm267 View Post
                          I have a question about these shipping containers, are they climate controlled at all? I ask because a friend of mine built a storage container home and its beautiful but there is a moisture issue that causes mold in her sheet rock. Wondering if moisture or condensation inside these would cause mold growth on boxes or furniture stored inside?
                          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I would assume that insulation should be installed in at least the ceiling of a storage container. If you are going to live in it I would assume the insulation would be in the walls as well and maybe under the flooring.

Comment

Sparkey, I'm not pretending to answer for mrm267 but the pic looks like it shows the 40' container joint after 4 doors, then another joint 4 more doors down. So that would make the doors about 8' wide with 2' or so of spacing in between but only something like 1' on the ends. It also appears to be the long side of the container because of the two forklift slots in the middle of the container. I could be wrong.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• SpaceCadet
                                Most Successful Promotion/Campaign?
                                by SpaceCadet
                                Hey SST family! I had a minute to go over our marketing + analytics report, and I wanted to reach out and see what sort of promotions you guys see success with, or "out of the box" thinking that I haven't been applying! So right now my facility is running a 3 months @ 50% off promotion for...
                                Today, 01:19 PM
                              • jlsjohn
                                Reply to We use Chateau cylinder locks
                                by jlsjohn
                                You don't have to drill the entire cylinder lock. Call Chateau and tell them to give you the drilling instructions for the EZ lock. It takes 5-10 minutes with a 3/16" drill bit....
                                Today, 11:45 AM
                              • letsgosonics
                                Reply to New Lien Law in Idaho and Mississippi
                                by letsgosonics
                                Yes, here in Idaho it was updated. I sent out a mass email to all of our customer's letting them know about the main changes. We didn't make them all sign new leases as state law supersedes anything in our lease, but we did have to update our lease template. We used to charge a flat $25 late fee....
                                Yesterday, 07:23 PM
                              Working...
                              X