Distance between RV/Boat Storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance between RV/Boat Storage

Working on a new development and am getting some confusion between several professionals in distance between buildings (aisle width). Im using 30 feet between buildings for regular drive up access, and thats no issue. What I have a problem deciding is that I have sections of 12x40 and 12x30 enclosed boat and RV. Does anyone here have any insight to this? So far, amongst pros and what I see from commercial facilities in my area is "just do whatever'. That's just not good enough for my tastes. Is there any standard anywhere for it? Ideas? Frustrated and discouraged with the wide range of opinion. I drove by one brand new facility today and they have 12x50 boat and RV storage with a drive between them that is 45'. Im looking at it thinking there is no way that can be used to capacity.

1. What should the aisle width be for a 12x40 enclosed that is 90* back in?
    2.) . What about the aisle width if you angle the spots? What angle?

Any insight is appreciated!
    Last edited by agdodge4x4; 8th March 2019, 09:58 PM.

Had an owner who was adamant his new 12x50 and 12x40 enclosed units were going to fill up in no time for boats/RV's in the area. Before construction even started I questioned his design as I felt the aisles would not be enough room for someone to turn trailers and get them into the units. Go figure, warnings were ignored and construction went on. Units never got rented for the intended purpose.. Every singe person who came to look at them all said the same thing that they could never safely/comfortably get in and out without causing damage to them or us. They finally had to drop the prices drastically and end up renting them to customers as large storages. I don't recall the exact measurement of the aisle but I would guesstimate it was about 30'. If you're designing a 40' spot for people you have to assume someone will want to store a 40' trailer in it so factor 40' trailer, plus vehicle moving it. The tighter the area the more damage you're risking to your property and headaches.

My first property had 12x45 stalls 90 degree straight in parking. There was 50' of room between the aisles to allow people enough room to get in and out without risking damage and even then it comes down to driver capability. But that was the least complaints i've ever had for parking at a facility.

Comment

So you did 50í aisle for a 45í deep space situated at 90 degrees and that was alright and workable?

Comment

All but the worst drivers had no problems. That was dealing with boats, 5th wheels, and massive RV's. I had some people who could pop into the spot in no time and others would be out there for 10-20 minutes going back and forth to wiggle in as they weren't comfortable enough in the vehicle to do it quicker.

Something I always wanted if I get to have another facility with lots of parking for trailers again is the robot movers. They're about 5 grand but think that it would be a pretty cool feature and if you get a worker good enough using it you could do a "fee" for moving peoples trailers in and out of spaces for them. Probably not feasible in a cost/revenue aspect but as someone who loves gadgets I think it'd be pretty cool to have.

Comment

It crossed my mind to get one of those things the RV dealerships use. Itís like a forklift with a device to move trailers and fifth wheels. Sign up for a spot, drop your rig, well put it in and deal with the hassle.

Comment

Look up robot trailer valet.. it should pop up as a little vehicle on treads like a tank that runs about 5-6 grand.

I used to be at a property in a country area. The facility across the road from us used a tractor to move peoples stuff in and out all the time.

Comment

I ran a shop once that did the trailers and we had a fork lift that we could put a ball at the end of one of the forks and lift the trailer and maneuver it in to place. Lots of older people may have that 40' motorhome or the long boat on a trailer with their tow rig and they can't twist their body as easily to back in and watch or use good depth of field to use mirrors. I worked for Monaco Motorhomes and soon learned how to but the biggest motorhomes in tight places. I used to LMAO watching an older couple with walkie talkies steer and guide a motorhome in to place. I could do it by myself but we always used a spotter most of the time. Anywhere between 50' to 60' should make you the talk of the town for ease of parking but I found that the angled lanes or angled access always worked well with a little less space. You will want lots of bright yellow lane paint and great lighting for darker times of the day.

Just remember, you scrimp on allowed room and you will have plenty of the "drive by braille" mishaps where they move whatever until it hits something and then will be the time they decide to go the other way or change their angle. They may or may not tell you that they hit anything and then surprise surprise!
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Im looking high and low on satellite imagery to find local boat and rv storage and every single one is 45 feet aisle. Some are 50'. It just seems so incredibly tight. I dont know if they are rented. I could see a 5th wheel getting into a 40 ft unit with a 50 ft wide aisle, but there is no way any kind of bumper pull is going to manage that. Maybe I am just being way to anal. Maybe I am overthinking this, but I am developing from the ground up and trying to think about what I would like if I had to use these things. I can back my rig into any place, but I will also take the easy way out with a pull through spot if I can. As such, I will also pay a LITTLE more to store my rig somewhere that it is EASY to back in. Like I said, maybe Im overthinking this.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X