Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable number of RV spots per acre

Hello everyone,

I am looking to develop a dedicated RV storage facility that is paved and covered by a steel canopy. Can you please offer your thoughts regarding how many spots I can accommodate per acre? I am currently projecting 40 spots per acre but I am not sure if this is a reasonable number.

Thanks,

Matt

How big of RVs are we talking? Class C 28" or the super big land yachts with pull outs, at 35"?
    90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Hi KrisinNC,

I think I have to plan to accommodate up to about 42 feet and then be willing to lease the space to someone with a smaller rig. I am sure there are some rigs over 42' so I will plan on a total length of 45' per spot unless you think that's a mistake.

Thanks!

Matt

Comment

I think you're right about sizes-many HOA's and neighborhoods refuse to have people store them in front or even in the backyard anymore due to 'aesthetics'.
        90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

I posted a note on your other question about how a former employer handled the extra long RV's that would include trailers they pulled behind, cars, boats, motorcycle trailers etc. Don't forget about that ONE person who can't manipulate the RV the way they are supposed to and need to move at an angle. That uses up more space and leaves empty corners that can be used for cars/boats/trailer parking.

Your best bet is to get an engineer to speculate the proper amount of space for manipulation and storage for RV's and other wheeled things that will be stored.
          Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with reality!

Comment

Got it, thanks Tall Terri!

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Terri View Post
              I posted a note on your other question about how a former employer handled the extra long RV's that would include trailers they pulled behind, cars, boats, motorcycle trailers etc. Don't forget about that ONE person who can't manipulate the RV the way they are supposed to and need to move at an angle. That uses up more space and leaves empty corners that can be used for cars/boats/trailer parking.

Your best bet is to get an engineer to speculate the proper amount of space for manipulation and storage for RV's and other wheeled things that will be stored.
              Pulling in/through is better than backing in too, right? (for the parking impaired)

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

Pulling in/through is better than backing in too, right? (for the parking impaired)
                How many "Professional" drivers do you think drive RV's versus mom and pop who decided to sell their home, hook up the car and just drive to see the world. Yes, pulling through is better than backing in or out. They can't see past their noses some of them.......
                Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with reality!

Comment

When I worked for Monaco Motorhomes it was always a great time for a giggle or two when I could watch the husband and wife teams use their two way radios to "GUIDE" the RV in to the spot when parking. I have even seen the accel pedal mistaken for the brake pedal. Pull through spots are great except that more room is needed for them and parking spots count for payment suffers.

Another way to bump up the daily $ take is to charge a fee for parking the RV. You could even do the same thing for "hooking up" all that is needed and also taking RV to the dump station. Monaco used to charge for and give classes that were over and above what the RV dealer did for the new RV owner training.
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We have 550 spots in 8.4 acres of fenced area. It is a mix of 20', 30', and 40' spaces. So roughly 65/acre. The spaces are pretty user friendly, and we never get complaints about the space size being a problem. A lot of places are much more dense than ours. You will never be able to design around a poor driver, so I would not factor that in. If someone has a problem backing a trailer into a space, we just tell them to rent a larger space where there is lots more maneuver room.
                    i wouldn't recommend pull through spaces as they are very inefficient.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                      Reply to The dangers of those rental trucks in the wrong hands
                      by Storman
                      I'm sure it was bad, but I couldn't watch that video for more than 10 seconds. I need a dramamine.
                      Today, 12:16 AM
                    • Orkocean
                      Reply to new to storage
                      by Orkocean
                      My father didn't talk about his vietnam days, all I know is he was a gunner in heli's and per my mother telling me stories as a kid he had 2 guns when most had one.. *shrug*... As far as my brother i'm not sure what his role was on the ship, it was late 90's early 2000's timeframe and I recall he went...
                      Yesterday, 08:19 PM
                    • MamaDuke
                      Reply to new to storage
                      by MamaDuke
                      My father was on the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk during Vietnam. Squadron, vf-213 F4's.

Small world!...
                      Yesterday, 08:01 PM
                    Working...
                    X