Skylights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylights

There was an article I read recently about skylights. The article specifically pointed out Velux Dynamic Dome skylights as a viable option for storage facilities.

I rarely see skylights on out storage buildings. Every once in a while I come across a climate-controlled facility that has them included.

How feasible and/or realistic is including skylights to storage buildings? I personally would still try and steer away from skylights on storage buildings. It seems like an unnecessary cost and feature. As soon as we roll up the doors, there should be plenty of light from the outside to illuminate the units.

I had a property with skylights over the hallways. The advantage was that we didn't need as much lighting during the daylight hours.

The drawback was that we had someone break in by getting on the roof and cutting out the skylight then dropping down into the building! We also had to regularly go on the roof and clean them to keep them looking nice.
    MamaDuke

Comment

We have old skylights-last fall I had our head maintenance come out and look at them and he used a ton of caulk because they are all cracked to heck. It's just one more expense to replace when they've worn out. 0/10 Do not recommend.
      Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

A skylight is just another path for a water leak. Open door in the daytime gives plenty of light. Any more needed, use a flashlight. I used to work for Monaco Motorhomes. RV's with holes in the ceiling for a/c units and vents and skylights, always developed leaks over time. It was always recommended that every 2 years they did what we called a "strip, clean and caulk seal".
        Last edited by pacnwstorage; 8th January 2020, 03:35 PM.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I agree that nothing good can come from it. Seeing as most storage buildings have very low pitched roofs, the chance for it to leak over time is huge. Energy savings that might be possible by having daylight instead of artificial light will be nearly non-existent since motion activated hall lighting is already very efficient. Daylight in a hallway might be nice for the tenant, but I don't believe that anyone would appreciate it enough that it would become a factor in choosing one facility over another or a factor that would justify higher rent.

I can see where these make sense in a big box store... my local Costco has this or something similar and when the sunlight hits, the lights go off. But in self-storage this is asking for trouble with no significant benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            A skylight is just another path for a water leak. Open door in the daytime gives plenty of light. Any more needed, use a flashlight. I used to work for Monaco Motorhomes. RV's with holes in the ceiling for a/c units and vents and skylights, always developed leaks over time. It was always recommended that every 2 years they did what we called a "strip, clean and caulk seal".
            We had motorhomes as a kid and I was always on the roof with my dad as he spread that silver goop to fix the inevitable leak there, that would always leak on MY bunk!
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Yea, that water leak was picking on you or your dad set you up and made sure that was the only one to leak.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
                I agree that nothing good can come from it. Seeing as most storage buildings have very low pitched roofs, the chance for it to leak over time is huge. Energy savings that might be possible by having daylight instead of artificial light will be nearly non-existent since motion activated hall lighting is already very efficient. Daylight in a hallway might be nice for the tenant, but I don't believe that anyone would appreciate it enough that it would become a factor in choosing one facility over another or a factor that would justify higher rent.

I can see where these make sense in a big box store... my local Costco has this or something similar and when the sunlight hits, the lights go off. But in self-storage this is asking for trouble with no significant benefit.
                I have to agree. We have skylights in our older big drive up units. They are the biggest pain in the neck for property maintenance. Apparently the reasoning for them at the time of install was so that the big units could have more light in them, and so the tenant could see if the door happened to close. Whenever roofs get redone on our old buildings, the skylights are removed. They tend to leak slightly and then that water travels to weird places

Comment

The low pitched roof is something else I considered as a downfall to skylights.

I appreciate the feedback and insight.

Thank you all,

Steve

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X