Drive up CC conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive up CC conversions

Hello all! I recently read an article about the drive-up climate-controlled units. I was curious if anyone here has them? I've been considering converting a building or two to drive up climate control at our facility. Are there any companies that specialize in this conversion? I'm also concerned about how well they hold. I'm located in North GA where the temps can dive into single digits and top off over 100 during the summer. Thoughts? TIA!

Here's the article: https://www.insideselfstorage.com/de...acility-design

Comment

many factors will come into play here. Most do temperature control. Climate is more expensive to achieve, and I would say would bring about more liability if something with the system didn't work properly. As far as temperature controlled drive up units we have several of these. They are great especially for commercial or long term tenants. our prices are about $15+ more a month than the regular unit of the same size. They are nicer and easier to maintain. insulation is key.

Comment

Originally posted by Tercelet1 View Post
        many factors will come into play here. Most do temperature control. Climate is more expensive to achieve, and I would say would bring about more liability if something with the system didn't work properly. As far as temperature controlled drive up units we have several of these. They are great especially for commercial or long term tenants. our prices are about $15+ more a month than the regular unit of the same size. They are nicer and easier to maintain. insulation is key.
        I was concerned with people coming in and leaving the doors open for an hour or more affecting the units around them. Could you provide some pictures of what you have at your facility?? Thanks for the reply!

Comment

A location I previously worked retro-fitted 20 of their drive up 10x25's with insulation and added a/c. They had vents go through the walls and into each unit. My husband did the insulation and they had an a/c company do the a/c install. Each unit also came with a shop light that they could pull the string to turn on the light. We charged about 30% more for these units and had a waiting list. Especially for those people with antique cars. They could pull their cars into a/c, pull down the door, secure the vehicle and walk away. They were thrilled! There were a couple of people who rented the unit as they didn't want to carry their property down a hall to get to an a/c unit.

The client's usually didn't leave the door open unless they were loading or unloading. If they were just sitting in their unit, we nicely went over and asked them to not do so as it was going to cost more energy. The energy bill really didn't go up that much more as we got energy efficient a/c units. And really, the only units that get warm are the one's where the door is open if you have the correct insulation on the doors. Some of the a/c does leak through at the venting, but it's minimal.
          Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

At my facility I also have drive up climate controlled (I work with the author of that article). Converting an existing building to climate control is difficult. The fiberglass bats normally go over wall or roof framing before the panels go on, and there should be thermal spacers under the roof. If you just shove insulation in there after the fact it will not be nearly as effective. You could have a contractor spray foam it, but that is a mess especially if some units are occupied.

If you are in an area with strict energy code, it will be nearly impossible to convert it and comply with code.

As for people leaving doors open, my site is unmanned so I won't see it if it happens except for my daily drive throughs... but overall the bill for the gas heat in my 20,000 sq ft of climate controlled storage has been half of the gas bill for my four bedroom house. So it's not bad. That's with 10" roof insulation and 6" walls, and 2" foam sectional exterior doors.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback Tall Terri and Steve H!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X