Mistakes in Self-Storage Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistakes in Self-Storage Development

Some may be more obvious than others, but just about every facility has a few mistakes - things the owner would do differently if he or she was to do it again. I helped our sales manager at Trachte put together a video explaining some of these things to avoid in your next project. (and yes, my facility is in the video)
    Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgFbtpiwXj0

Thanks for posting that Steve, I'll be sure to share with anyone looking for some pointers on development.
    Kevin Kerr
    Storage Commander Cloud Software
    k[email protected]
    Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

The biggest mistake I made was purchasing a Trachte building with gutters on it. As stated before, They are impossible to clean because you can't get your hands in them. I have complained about this before but trachte must not think its an issue. They could provide longer standoffs and I could fix it myself since I am obviously not going to get any support to get them fixed. I like the rest of the building, but the gutters would prevent me from buying another. I will probably end up completely removing the gutters from the building because the design is not functional at all.

Comment

One thing that you should always do is bury More conduit than you think you need. You never know what new technology will come that needs to be wired. Plastic conduit is cheaper than digging another trench.
        Joe Krezdorn
        DAK Self Storage
        Leesport, PA 19533
        www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Get an existing manager to assist with the numbering system. Pretty much every property I've managed had horrible numbering making it difficult for people to find unit and for managers to do the walk-thru without completely reworking the report.

The property where I am now, it took me at least 2 months to get a feel for the layout. Mind you, it's 2 3-story buildings with nearly 1300 units. But even now, 18+ months later, I still have to stop and really think through where I need to go! And I have more or less figured out the reasoning behind what they did, but it shouldn't be so hard!!!
          MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
            Get an existing manager to assist with the numbering system. Pretty much every property I've managed had horrible numbering making it difficult for people to find unit and for managers to do the walk-thru without completely reworking the report.

The property where I am now, it took me at least 2 months to get a feel for the layout. Mind you, it's 2 3-story buildings with nearly 1300 units. But even now, 18+ months later, I still have to stop and really think through where I need to go! And I have more or less figured out the reasoning behind what they did, but it shouldn't be so hard!!!
            Lord yes. So much yes. ( I call the current iteration of numbering-'Must have had a liquid lunch before doing this')
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

KrisinWA Yep! That's what it's like for many properties!
              MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey View Post
                The biggest mistake I made was purchasing a Trachte building with gutters on it. As stated before, They are impossible to clean because you can't get your hands in them. I have complained about this before but trachte must not think its an issue. They could provide longer standoffs and I could fix it myself since I am obviously not going to get any support to get them fixed. I like the rest of the building, but the gutters would prevent me from buying another. I will probably end up completely removing the gutters from the building because the design is not functional at all.
                This is not exclusive to Trachte. I have removed the gutters that came on some of my buildings because they were impossible to clean.

Comment

Sorry you don't like them Sparkey. If asked, I suspect every one of our sales staff would tell you to skip the gutters due to maintenance and cost unless your city is requiring it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
                    Sorry you don't like them Sparkey. If asked, I suspect every one of our sales staff would tell you to skip the gutters due to maintenance and cost unless your city is requiring it.
                    If I were told about the gutter issues ahead of time I would not currently have gutters. The salesman gave no input on the gutters. Just trying to warn others so they don't make the same mistake.

What would it cost me to get longer standoffs for my brand new building?
                    Last edited by Sparkey; 8th May 2020, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mamaduke View Post
                      get an existing manager to assist with the numbering system. Pretty much every property i've managed had horrible numbering making it difficult for people to find unit and for managers to do the walk-thru without completely reworking the report.

The property where i am now, it took me at least 2 months to get a feel for the layout. Mind you, it's 2 3-story buildings with nearly 1300 units. But even now, 18+ months later, i still have to stop and really think through where i need to go! And i have more or less figured out the reasoning behind what they did, but it shouldn't be so hard!!!
                      preach!!! Preach!!! Preach!!!
                      Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

When it comes to horrible laid out numbering systems and bigger sites I skip the walkthru report all together. I've had sites with a 19 pages walkthru report that I could print out 6-7 pages of sitemap, take a few colored sharpies and use a color code system to mark every unit as I walk the property then come back in the office and match everything up to look for any issues, if any are found just run back out and take care of them. Less time out on property *in the heat usually* and less time of office being closed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X