Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost to construct?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cost to construct?

    Like everything else, costs seem to only head up. Recently priced some new buildings for current facilities. Kind of taken back by the increased costs since my first project 8 years ago.

    So, my question is: for those who've built in the last 12 months, what has been your cost per square foot for the concrete and building with labor for both? I realize location makes some differences, and also that things like dirt work could vary wildly between locations. No two buildings are exactly alike, I realize that as well. Just trying to narrow it down on the building and concrete erected.

    What I'm looking at is all steel on a 4" floating slab. 8 X 10 doors. Snow country. Insulation layer on the ceiling only. No electricity, site prep, or driveway in the price.

    Going to assume all buildings are similar in quality, Not looking for a "A" is better than "B" building discussion. Just curious about cost per square foot to build.

    TIA.

  • #2
    We recently build a few buildings at a couple of our different locations and the cost was around $21/sft. I have no clue if that's high or low, but those are for 30'x100' buildings, non-CC, doors on both sides of the building, 4" slab with thickened edge and standard 7x8 doors Nothing fancy but it's been somewhat consistent. Would love to see what others are paying

    Comment


    • #3
      IIRC up here new construction is in the $140/sf range for homes, probably not much less for storage units

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Grizz View Post
        IIRC up here new construction is in the $140/sf range for homes, probably not much less for storage units
        It doesn't cost anywhere near that amount to build a self storage facility. Depending on your region I think $21/sqft the other poster put up to be pretty good.

        Comment


        • #5
          I would estimate 30-35 per sq ft for everything excluding the land for basic drive up buildings.

          Steel coils have skyrocketed in price in the last month similar to how wood did earlier this year, but compared to the overall construction budget it's not as dramatic.

          Comment


          • #6
            smackdab
            This a project we are actually building now. This was contracted about 6 months ago. As Steve, above has pointed out steel has taken a recent increase and I was informed our next buildings might cost 20-25% higher for the building itself. Your last project was 9 years ago, Concrete has made a couple increases since then, along with your steel floor rebar.

            $225,000 Building 7% sales tax included
            $ 79,000 Bldg Erection
            $128,000 Bldg slabs

            $432,000 Total Building installed.

            $51,000 Frost free footings, this new town requires, not included above.


            Buildings:
            15x160 2,400
            40x50 2,000
            40x40 1,600
            40x200 8,000
            30x220 6,600
            20x30 600
            20x40 800

            Total 22,000

            $432,000 Erected building
            22,000 Total sq ft

            $19.64 per sq ft

            Building as you describe in your post.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Clarkstoragellc View Post
              smackdab
              This a project we are actually building now. This was contracted about 6 months ago. As Steve, above has pointed out steel has taken a recent increase and I was informed our next buildings might cost 20-25% higher for the building itself. Your last project was 9 years ago, Concrete has made a couple increases since then, along with your steel floor rebar.

              $225,000 Building 7% sales tax included
              $ 79,000 Bldg Erection
              $128,000 Bldg slabs

              $432,000 Total Building installed.

              $51,000 Frost free footings, this new town requires, not included above.


              Buildings:
              15x160 2,400
              40x50 2,000
              40x40 1,600
              40x200 8,000
              30x220 6,600
              20x30 600
              20x40 800

              Total 22,000

              $432,000 Erected building
              22,000 Total sq ft

              $19.64 per sq ft

              Building as you describe in your post.
              Are any of those units heated or climate control?

              Comment


              • #8
                Grizz
                Not heated or climate controlled.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I forgot we built an extra concrete slab, that we are not putting a building on this year. This is included in the Bldg Slab cost. Backing it out, the total Concrete slab cost is $92,000 versus the $128,000 shown above. This was a 40 x 220 building, which is not shown in the buildings above, but which was in the Bldg Slab cost.

                  Total erected building is now $225,000 plus $79,000 plus $92,000=$396,000

                  22,000 sq ft is correct, it did not include this extra slab.

                  New cost per sqft is $396,000 / 22,000 sqft= $18.00/sqft.

                  This is only for the erected building, not land, fence, roads, electric, security, etc.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Clarkstoragellc View Post
                    I forgot we built an extra concrete slab, that we are not putting a building on this year. This is included in the Bldg Slab cost. Backing it out, the total Concrete slab cost is $92,000 versus the $128,000 shown above. This was a 40 x 220 building, which is not shown in the buildings above, but which was in the Bldg Slab cost.

                    Total erected building is now $225,000 plus $79,000 plus $92,000=$396,000

                    22,000 sq ft is correct, it did not include this extra slab.

                    New cost per sqft is $396,000 / 22,000 sqft= $18.00/sqft.

                    This is only for the erected building, not land, fence, roads, electric, security, etc.
                    Did you build them or are the pre-fab from a third party?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by smackdab View Post
                      Like everything else, costs seem to only head up. Recently priced some new buildings for current facilities. Kind of taken back by the increased costs since my first project 8 years ago.

                      So, my question is: for those who've built in the last 12 months, what has been your cost per square foot for the concrete and building with labor for both? I realize location makes some differences, and also that things like dirt work could vary wildly between locations. No two buildings are exactly alike, I realize that as well. Just trying to narrow it down on the building and concrete erected.

                      What I'm looking at is all steel on a 4" floating slab. 8 X 10 doors. Snow country. Insulation layer on the ceiling only. No electricity, site prep, or driveway in the price.

                      Going to assume all buildings are similar in quality, Not looking for a "A" is better than "B" building discussion. Just curious about cost per square foot to build.

                      TIA.
                      Your in snow country and they will allow you to do a floating Slab? They require us to pour footers in my area. NO floating slabs allowed.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Grizz
                        Pre-fab. Check with steve, who we buy from. Sparkey
                        Our mfg is out of Wisconsin. Had their buildings for 6 years floating slab. In cold country and frost heave, you main issue with a slab is if your heating the building, which ours are not climate controlled.

                        The new town we just moved into requires frost free footings as a general rule.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We look at everything including ground and try not to exceed $35 a square foot. A lot to do with the area of course. This is Indiana

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Addl info. We went with a "Standing Seam" roof for these buildings. A little higher cost than normal screw down.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I got a quote today from a concrete contractor. He recommended using $10/sq ft as an estimate. I have a quote of just under 50K for a 30x100, non-climate, 8'6" eave with 1/2:12 double sloped roof. Not standing seam. So, estimating 80K for a 3,000 sq ft building, comes in in at $26/sq ft, if I am calculating this right.

                              For a 35x105 Climate, 9'6" eave, 80k for building, 37k for concrete, estimating 20k for HVAC, bringing it to 120k, and if I am calculating right, that is $32/sq ft.

                              I am thinking I may switch to sloped, standing seam roofs.
                              For anyone that has built lately, does this seem inline?
                              Hopeful newbie in VA
                              Last edited by themikehyde; 10 February 2021, 08:41 PM.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • RMRSS
                                Reply to Hours of operation
                                by RMRSS
                                Well how would they ever get to their unit if they had no gate access? I'm assuming you mean restrict gate access hours to office hours?...
                                Yesterday, 09:13 PM
                              • KrisinWA
                                Reply to Gate installation on the West coast of Florida
                                by KrisinWA
                                I'd call your close competitors and see who they used....
                                Yesterday, 07:42 PM
                              • KeelHauler1994
                                Reply to Hand truck ramps?
                                by KeelHauler1994
                                I am actually surprised they would not offer ramps as an add-on for extra revenue. I am curious if the ramps are all metal how they would do in the various weather conditions. I see the pull out ramps on the UHaul trucks and get a little worried when I see tenants moving when it is raining or misty,...
                                Yesterday, 07:06 PM
                              Working...
                              X