Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Cost to build climate control units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost to build climate control units

Can anyone give me a "ballpark" cost to build a climate controlled building. I know there are lots of variables, just trying to get a range on dollar per square ft. (excluding land & prep, etc). I'm in the Southeast.

In 2003 we built a 2 story bank barn type building 95 x 95 for just under $500,000
    Joe Krezdorn
    DAK Self Storage
    Leesport, PA 19533
    www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Above examples is $55 per sq ft. Climate controlled single story will typically cost around 50 to 60 per sqft for eveything excluding land and grading issues other than simply stripping some topsoil and adding fill. Big variables can include level of insulation needed to meet your energy codes, and shape of building. A square building is typically lower cost than a long rectangle when building insulated structures.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
        Above examples is $55 per sq ft. Climate controlled single story will typically cost around 50 to 60 per sqft for eveything excluding land and grading issues other than simply stripping some topsoil and adding fill. Big variables can include level of insulation needed to meet your energy codes, and shape of building. A square building is typically lower cost than a long rectangle when building insulated structures.
        Steve,

You missed the two story part. My total cost was about 28 per sq/ft.
        As stated that was back in 2003-2004
        Joe Krezdorn
        DAK Self Storage
        Leesport, PA 19533
        www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Ah, yep i missed the two story part of that post. You'd be hard pressed to do that again today.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
            Ah, yep i missed the two story part of that post. You'd be hard pressed to do that again today.
            LOL I bet.
            Although I was the General and saved that money. I did all the schedules and some of the work such as hanging conduit and pulling wires for my electrician. So I did save some from that.
            When we did build the Chinese economy was booming so much that the cost of steel went up $26,000 in about a week.
            Joe Krezdorn
            DAK Self Storage
            Leesport, PA 19533
            www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

In most places the stricter energy codes have also brought some increased costs. In the long run that's fine, you do get it back on lower operating costs and higher appraised value (more income due to lower expenses = higher value) but it can still be a sticker shock if you have built with simple fiberglass insulation and need to do a continuous layer of exterior foam now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• evansr
                Reply to 2021 Goals & To Do's
                by evansr
                For our rate increases, we have taken a REIT approach, rates goes up on a schedule, but can easily be adjusted at a site level based on demand, customer issues, occupancies, etc.

Our discounts have been very limited already due to almost all unit groups being over 90%, if a discount is...
                Today, 09:11 PM
              • pacnwstorage
                Reply to 2021 Goals & To Do's
                by pacnwstorage
                Are you sure one size fits all for all the facilities and neighborhoods they are in? We do rate increases as needed and not on a schedule of 9 months. I have had 6 years in a row of increases over the year before and will do it again this year for a total of 7. We stress the security of the facility...
                Today, 08:29 PM
              • evansr
                2021 Goals & To Do's
                by evansr
                Hello Everyone, I am starting to put together our 2021 Goals and to-do's for our sites to present to the big boss for final approval. What is everyone looking at for 2021...with everything going on with this year, we still want to present a "normal" outlook and not "everything's on fire!"...
                Today, 06:53 PM
              Working...
              X