Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Facility Costs Estimation

Good evening new friends,

I've been reading many of your posts over the last few months but have now taken the plunge to join the community. I'm opening our first storage facility in Jan/Feb 2021 and trying to build out some pro formas to anticipate our balance sheet, margins, etc. for the year. While many of our costs will of course be fixed, it's the variable cost related to utilities where I'm unfamiliar. Can a few members with climate-controlled facilities assist me with estimating? Phase 1 of our project will be an 8-10k sq. ft. building so I'm thinking a possible rule of thumb may be $100/month per 2k sq. ft so $400-500/month. Would that be a semi-accurate estimate or does anyone have a better method or insight? I'm in Alabama so typically a pretty light winter, mild spring and falls, and 90-100 degrees Jun-Aug. All help greatly appreciated!

Cant help ya but welcome

Comment

Originally posted by AMR12880 View Post
      Good evening new friends,

I've been reading many of your posts over the last few months but have now taken the plunge to join the community. I'm opening our first storage facility in Jan/Feb 2021 and trying to build out some pro formas to anticipate our balance sheet, margins, etc. for the year. While many of our costs will of course be fixed, it's the variable cost related to utilities where I'm unfamiliar. Can a few members with climate-controlled facilities assist me with estimating? Phase 1 of our project will be an 8-10k sq. ft. building so I'm thinking a possible rule of thumb may be $100/month per 2k sq. ft so $400-500/month. Would that be a semi-accurate estimate or does anyone have a better method or insight? I'm in Alabama so typically a pretty light winter, mild spring and falls, and 90-100 degrees Jun-Aug. All help greatly appreciated!
      Call your local electric company and ask them for their formula. Basically-sq ft, ceiling height=area x their price for commercial electrical. That will give you a ballpark.
      Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

10,000 sq ft will probably cost about the same in utilities as a typical home. You'll probably pay more for credit card processing than you will for utilities.

Comment

Adjust to your plans:

a. We space our lights every seven units. If two rows face each other, we only put lights on one side. These lights spread pretty good.
          b. Add lights at the ends and gate areas, depending on not affecting neighbors.
          c. We use LED.
          d. Ask your electrician for the KWH per light for your average night time. This will significantly vary winter to summer.
          e. Will you have an office? HVAC wall unit for computer and Security equipment. Just go to a hardware store and read from the wall unit KWH and estimate hours.
          f. Get cost per KWH from your own bill. In Midwest we runs $.07/kwh; Alabama runs about $.12/kwh.
          g. Electric Company night light? Just ask them for the monthly charge. We have one for $50 per month, on top of our Storage unit lights.

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Ours driveways are spaced 25 feet wide .
            li.JPG
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! I've been checking back reading but wanted to give any inputters the opportunity to post should they want. Thanks again!

Comment

You note above Climate Controlled. Verify if temperature or humidity controlled. There was another post with a similar thread, from Houston.

Would recommend if humidity you use a humidifier versus an HVAC unit. Will save a lot of electric, versus running an HVAC unit.
                1. Humidity or temperature
                2. Insulation
                3. $ per KWH, your ($.12 per Kwh) higher than most people, so you have to do a calc versus comparison. We are $.07 kwh in the midwest.
                4. Positive/Negative air pressure. Have a professional do a test. How much airflow are you losing from your building.
                5. When you built your Metal building, did you use Thermal spacers between the metal roof and the metal beams. Metal to metal transfers a lot of heat. The HVAC person can measure with a thermal gun.

Get with an HVAC person. Tell him the building size and the answers to the above. He should be able to give you an answer and any remediation plans if needed.

A location in Nebraska put in a solar system. Their electric bill is about $25 per month on about 40,000 sq ft during the summer. Believe they said payback is 8 years.

Comment

Where in Bama are you located?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• lady5563
                    Reply to Website Developers- Who do you use?
                    by lady5563
                    NO! Wake up and taste the Maxwell House Dark Roast!
                    It warms the soul!...
                    Today, 03:41 PM
                  • lady5563
                    Reply to Here We Go...!
                    by lady5563
                    I take my deposits to the bank myself.
                    I use the drive up and get a receipt for each deposit.
                    It seems as though the poster maybe used a night time drop off box and that was why the bank had to call the OP to inform of the deposit being short?...
                    Today, 03:29 PM
                  • RMRSS
                    Reply to Contracts are legal documents, DUH.
                    by RMRSS
                    Honestly I've never heard anyone have an issue with this before. In fact, all our contracts are electronic, so we type the info directly into SiteLink and the customer eSigns it on the screen. I've never had a tenant fill out the informational part even when we had paper contracts. So many people...
                    Today, 02:37 PM
                  Working...
                  X