Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Climate Controlled - AC or Dehumidifiers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climate Controlled - AC or Dehumidifiers?

I am looking to build a climate controlled building at my already existing facility. Since this is still my first storage facility I am clueless as to how "climate controlled" is actually defined.

Is this typically done with dehumidifiers or is actual a/c units more standard practice? It's located in South Florida by the way.

Thanks

We are in Texas and technically not "climate controlled" as we only have a/c & heat. We are considered temperature controlled. That is more standard practice around here.

Comment

We are the same as AngelaESSTX . In CA it was recommended that we swapped terms because we aren't actually controlling the climate and people in CA are sue happy. It's taken a lot of getting used to though... still find myself calling it climate controlled from time to time and have to correct myself.

Comment

Yep, we are just temp controlled because we only have heat. True "climate control" is heated, a/c and humidity control.

We have facilities in the area that advertise climate control and all they have is units inside a building. When I have a prospective tenant call and ask about "climate control" I educate them about all this and then ask what they are trying to protect. In most cases they do not need true climate control. Especially here in the PNW Willamette Valley.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Interesting, I definitely wouldn't be providing heat since it rarely gets very cold here.

So from a technical standpoint, to be "climate controlled" I would need both humidity control and a/c?

Comment

And heat availability if needed. You can have supplied but set the thermostat where it would hardly ever come on. Need to have great insulation, at least in the ceiling.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by Owners1 View Post
              I am looking to build a climate controlled building at my already existing facility. Since this is still my first storage facility I am clueless as to how "climate controlled" is actually defined.

Is this typically done with dehumidifiers or is actual a/c units more standard practice? It's located in South Florida by the way.

Thanks
              Temp controlled only-unless you are putting in a humidity control, then you can call it climate controlled.
              "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
              WA state

Comment

Most operators will keep the temperature set to around 50 to 60 for the heat, and around 80ish for the air conditioning. New construction insulated self-storage is going to be a very tight building. Code will require it to be very well insulated. It will have minimal people going in and out, and minimal occupant load creating heat - not like an office full of people and heat generating computers. So, the AC won't need to run much to keep it in your temperature range, and therefore won't have the opportunity to remove much humidity.

So, yes, you really should have central dehumidifiers built into the HVAC system in most regions. Your HVAC engineer will help you figure out what equipment is needed.

I'm no engineer but I can tell you that if you under size the AC unit, it will run more (but use less energy when running) and take out more moisture in the process. My self storage units were built with a forced air system similar to what you would have in a large home in this area (Wisconsin - gas heat, regular AC). In the south I've seen projects more likely to be built with a heat pump unit, often in smaller zones than what we do here in the north.

For the dehumidifier, I have been using Quest brand units in my projects. These are commercial grade dehumidifiers that are very energy efficient. They sit in the mechanical rooms next to the cold air intake on the air handlers. We leave the blowers on the HVAC systems running 24/7 for air circulation.

Here are two videos that talk about the topic of building climate controlled:
                This one covers the more standard way of doing it
                https://www.trachte.com/seminars-vid...db6cae92723617

This one talks more about building a storage facility with exterior access climate controlled units, which is a newer trend
                https://www.trachte.com/seminars-vid...39358008ed2ae7

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
                  Most operators will keep the temperature set to around 50 to 60 for the heat, and around 80ish for the air conditioning. New construction insulated self-storage is going to be a very tight building. Code will require it to be very well insulated. It will have minimal people going in and out, and minimal occupant load creating heat - not like an office full of people and heat generating computers. So, the AC won't need to run much to keep it in your temperature range, and therefore won't have the opportunity to remove much humidity.

So, yes, you really should have central dehumidifiers built into the HVAC system in most regions. Your HVAC engineer will help you figure out what equipment is needed.

I'm no engineer but I can tell you that if you under size the AC unit, it will run more (but use less energy when running) and take out more moisture in the process. My self storage units were built with a forced air system similar to what you would have in a large home in this area (Wisconsin - gas heat, regular AC). In the south I've seen projects more likely to be built with a heat pump unit, often in smaller zones than what we do here in the north.

For the dehumidifier, I have been using Quest brand units in my projects. These are commercial grade dehumidifiers that are very energy efficient. They sit in the mechanical rooms next to the cold air intake on the air handlers. We leave the blowers on the HVAC systems running 24/7 for air circulation.

Here are two videos that talk about the topic of building climate controlled:
                  This one covers the more standard way of doing it
                  https://www.trachte.com/seminars-vid...db6cae92723617

This one talks more about building a storage facility with exterior access climate controlled units, which is a newer trend
                  https://www.trachte.com/seminars-vid...39358008ed2ae7

That covers everything. Thanks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X