Inside Climate Controlled Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside Climate Controlled Storage

I am under contract to purchase a piece of property to expand my storage business. I am more interested in the land but there is a Church on the property that is in very nice condition. It is a wide open floor plan with high cathedral ceilings. I was thinking of partitioning it off and use it for inside climate controlled storage. I have never been in a climate controlled unit so I have some questions. I know everyone is going to say talk to zoning but these are just general questions for time being.
    1. How wide is the typical hallway?
    2. What temperature do you normally keep climate controlled storage in summer and winter?
    3. How much more do you typically get for climate controlled storage compared to normal outside access storage?
    4. So I live in Ohio and would be running a furnace in the winter. What happens during a power outage? Do you typically have a back up generator for times like this?
    5. Do your rental agreements have clauses for acts of god like the power going out and it freezes inside?
    6. How do you circulate air through each unit? Is there vents so the heat/AC can flow through each unit or are they pretty much sealed off?

1) Halls are 5' wide, but need to wider for a few feet in front of hallway entrances for ADA space requirements to the latch side of swing doors.
    2) 50 to 80 is typical range. If you install dehumidifiers you need to heat it closer to 60 to keep them from freezing up.
    3) this will vary greatly by market. At my facility the interior access climate controlled units are just a few dollars more than standard exterior access units. People are lazy and don't want to go in the halls.
    4) Generators are rare but not a bad idea if you are in an area that could have extended power outages. It takes a long time for the temperature to drop that much in a well insulated building.
    5) Yes - consult an attorney or your state association for wording
    6) The tops of the units are wire mesh in most conversion properties. If you have a forced air system you might just leave the blower running 24/7 to circulate the air. (I do at my property) I have seen many properties with ceiling fans too - especially in conversions with high ceilings where they need to push the heat down.

Steve
    Trachte Building Systems
    608-327-3208

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X