Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Conversion to Climate Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion to Climate Control

I have a drive up storage building with 16 units that I am considering converting to climate control. Anyone have any experience with this? Good/Bad/Otherwise?

Re: Conversion to Climate Control

Originally posted by stinsont View Post
    I have a drive up storage building with 16 units that I am considering converting to climate control. Anyone have any experience with this? Good/Bad/Otherwise?
    Are these drive up units or inside a building? We did a conversion at one facility we own, after we purchased it from the bank. The unit mix at this facility was horrible. It was built in a fashion where adding climate controlled units was a option my guess is the original builder just ran out of money.

Comment

Hi,

Having not seen the building and not knowing the climate that you are dealing with, this is all speculation, but here are some issues that you could face:

Foundation: In some areas, a heated building requires a different type of foundation than a non-heated space. Possible result: heaving and cracking of the foundation. I would suggest you check with an engineer to make sure there won't be problems.

Insulation: The temperature controlled buildings that we manufacture today often have specific framing detail designed to allow room for insulation, which is installed from above before the roof sheets go on. Installed after the fact in a building not designed for it, you may not have room for it, will be missing thermal blockers between framing and the roof, and you will likely have trouble effectively insulating around partitions .

Exterior access doors: Roll up doors with ribs are notoriously hard to seal. When we sell our clients exterior access self storage buildings, we suggest that they use flat sectional doors instead of the Trac-Rite doors that we manufacture. You can get insulated roll up doors, with brush seals and draft stops, but you will still have a lot of heat loss through those doors.

Adding ductwork: Well, that just sounds like a hassle, getting access to all those rented units.

As I've said before, I'm a marketing guy not an engineer. But I would think this is not going to be easy to do correctly, or not possible as all. Sorry to throw cold water at you.

Steve Hajewski
      Marketing Manager
      Trachte Building Systems

Originally posted by stinsont View Post

Comment

I have first hand experience with your problem and the question of insulating. YES you can easily convert outside facing storage units to heated or climate control with a weatherized Door Curtain that I developed for our Trachte buildings we bought for our storage facility in the Pacific Northwest. I was faced with air-flow penetration, heat loss and debris entry through the metal roll-up doors and front walls of our buildings. After developing the Weatherized Door Curtain, I no longer lose heat and the tenants love the Door Curtains. We also now manufacture a HeatKeeper wall blanket that can be installed to the inside of a wall and insulates better than R-30 insulation. It can be done my friend, just keep looking around.
        James Ciaciuch
        Self Storage Owner &
        Manufacturer of Weatherized Storage Door Curtains
        www.DeerParkSelfStorage.com
        www.StorageDoorCurtains.com
        877-670-9276

Comment

Assuming you can deal with the issues like steve talked about, adding insulation, runing ductwork and having a foundation that will work( and I know the foundation has a lot to do with you location in the country, here in ohio the only difference in a cc foundation and a regular one is that we put 2 inch foam for the first 2 feet inside the foundation) then your next problem is the doors. I highly recoment that you take down the regular roll up storage doors down and keep them for the next project, and do as steve said, install an insulated flat panel break over door, just like a regular garage door. All of our drive up cc units are like this and the only seal we use are the strips of rubber along the sides of the door, just make sure you insulate the header and jambs with some kind of batt insulation. I was actually suprised at how insulated our buildings were, the furneces and ac units run less than they do in my house. Good luck!

Comment

Just curious over the last 5 years have any advances been made making this more achievable? Any success stories out there?

Comment

Due to stricter energy codes it is becoming less possible to do this each year in most of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by CWILM79 View Post
                Just curious over the last 5 years have any advances been made making this more achievable? Any success stories out there?
                Steve have you seen in happen anywhere? We are in VA. Figured if anyone has seen it you have?

Comment

I've never seen it done correctly to meet building codes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• StorageBuddy
                    Reply to Green Building and Self-Storage
                    StorageBuddy
                    Crickets......crickets.... Remember Tom Cruise in the movie Jerry Maguire (...You complete me....You had me at hello)?. He writes a mission statement full of passion and is met by an entire firm of silence.

I guess people who have already built their facility see greenness as an unaffordable...
                    Today, 10:41 PM
                  • Dave Scott
                    Reply to Overlocking
                    Dave Scott
                    Man you need to get educated and your lease straightened up to what Ill. state laws say about self storage. This guy should have been over locked 60 days ago and up for disposal now. Do you have any units behind on rent and what do you do to them.Do you over lock them?
                    Today, 09:45 PM
                  • pacnwstorage
                    Reply to Overlocking
                    pacnwstorage
                    Boat trailer or a unit, your freakin' lease should say something about locking out a non paying tenant. Do you have a lease, I guess is the next question? Who drew it up? This type of stuff has been addressed time and time again. Late enough, lock them out, period!

Just what does the lease...
                    Today, 09:19 PM
                  Working...
                  X