Aisle width for inside self storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aisle width for inside self storage

Is there a general "rule of thumb" for the width of an aisle for inside storage? I'm looking at doing a remodel of an existing building. I received a concept unit layout with the aisles at 5'. This seems really narrow - so I'm concerned that the unit count is too high which will twist the financial estimates. I only have experience with outside drive up self storage so I would appreciate any insight.

Re: Aisle width for inside self storage

We have always used 5', and if I recall the ada laws require at least 5'. I do know of some people that have build hallway's 6' wide. How big are the unit doors inside and how big are the entry doors to get into the hallway? If they have to get into those then they will have no problem making it down the hallway. You can go bigger, but in new construction it costs more, in a remodle you loose space. So to sum up you can go bigger, but 5' will work fine. Have you gone to visit a site with inside units to see them in person and measure their hallways, this will at leaqst give you an idea of how you would want to do yours.

Comment

The doors inside are mostly 8' wide roll ups except for the 5x10. There are units as large as 10x25. The doors entering the facility are big overhead doors which are 16' wide. I have been in one inside storage facility but didn't measure the aisles.

Comment

HI,
        We use the all metal buildings that are set up for units in multiples of 5'. So the hallways are 5'.
        This works out fine for using the 4 wheel carts that we provide, as they can navigate around the corners.
        Also the aisles are bigger than the doorways leading from the outside into the building.
        5' works fine.
        Bob Meister
        http://www.aboutstorage.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Comment

I think 5' is the norm you see around in storage units. However, there are also those that have wider walkways, but 5' is the very minimum you can go. If your units are for people to walk around and about and not a drive-up facility, then 5' is just nice. You do not waste too much space on walkways, nor are they going to be too narrow for people to navigate through the units. I agree with the others, that you should visit other storage units equipped with a measuring tape. Then, you can try walking through their passageways and see if 5' is a comfortable width for your customers or do you need to remodel a wider walkway.
            Cameron Robertson - Self Storage Northern Beaches

Comment

+1 on 5'. Though you could advertise wide corridors if you made them slightly wider. Remember the gross potential only matters if the facility is full.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X