Door sizes - conventional wisdom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door sizes - conventional wisdom

Adding a few buildings - many 10' wide bays. All my other 10' wide units have 8'-8" doors. Thinking of using 6' wide doors instead. Does anyone know of a good reason(s) not to do this?

Re: Door sizes - conventional wisdom

As long as you don't plan on allowing vehicles to be stored in them, a six foot wide door should be fine.
    The End Is Near!

Comment

Good thought about the vehicle but no we don't all that for soooo many reasons. Thx

Comment

ok, I'll bite on this one...what are some of the so many different reasons? We have been allowing vehicles stored in unit for 8 years without a problem..motorcycles, trailers, boats, jet skis, cars, etc. They are actually some of the best customers, right up there with pharmaceutical reps. Most of the car storage customers pay a year at a time.

People who are willing to pay over $200 a month to store their prized vehicle in a unit rather then paying $65 for an outdoor parking space aren't going to be an auction problem.

We are just a few miles from the airport here, and we also have tenants who park their vehicles inside units, and when the come to town for a golf or beach vacation in their vacation condo, they take a cab from the airport...pick up their vehicle, drive it during their stay, then park it back in their unit and take the cab back to the airport. This is in addition to the locals storing their prized classic car and want it out of the elements, but also don't want to give up their garage space at home.

We don't allow auto mechanics to work on vehicles in storage units, but I rarely have anyone ask that...like maybe once every two years. So I'm curious as to what all the reasons are?

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa T View Post
          ok, I'll bite on this one...what are some of the so many different reasons? We have been allowing vehicles stored in unit for 8 years without a problem..motorcycles, trailers, boats, jet skis, cars, etc. They are actually some of the best customers, right up there with pharmaceutical reps. Most of the car storage customers pay a year at a time.

People who are willing to pay over $200 a month to store their prized vehicle in a unit rather then paying $65 for an outdoor parking space aren't going to be an auction problem.

We are just a few miles from the airport here, and we also have tenants who park their vehicles inside units, and when the come to town for a golf or beach vacation in their vacation condo, they take a cab from the airport...pick up their vehicle, drive it during their stay, then park it back in their unit and take the cab back to the airport. This is in addition to the locals storing their prized classic car and want it out of the elements, but also don't want to give up their garage space at home.

We don't allow auto mechanics to work on vehicles in storage units, but I rarely have anyone ask that...like maybe once every two years. So I'm curious as to what all the reasons are?
          Sorry, here to get feedback on doors not criticize other's policies that I'm sure are sound and reasonable. Only put up a couple of posts and am learning that people are quick to take offence. Sounds like you have rooms that easily accommodate vehicle storage and a clientele that is willing to pay. I'm sure your policies work well for your clientele and State. We fear the following, just to name a few: special rules to exercise lien, storing gas in enclosed space, insurance issues, valuation issues, oil leaking on concrete, squeezing 3000 lbs of 8' wide rolling metal through 8'8" door (we don't have large units with extra large doors that could accommodate a vehicle). I'm sure all of these concerns can be dealt with with the right facility, leases and proceedures.

Doors?

Comment

Originally posted by WSSMonroe View Post
            Adding a few buildings - many 10' wide bays. All my other 10' wide units have 8'-8" doors. Thinking of using 6' wide doors instead. Does anyone know of a good reason(s) not to do this?
            I'm staying out of the discussion on storing cars.
            However, I have some climate controlled 10' units where we used a 6' door.
            Compared to the other 10' units with an 8' 8" door, the smaller door lets in less light.
            So as a tenant is inside the unit, it seem that there are more dark areas since the hall light doesn't enter the unit as well.
            I imagine it would be similar with an outside unit in the evening, where their is less daylight or artificial light.
            We chose a smaller door for a particular construction reason.
            Otherwise, I'd always use the larger 8' 8" door.
            It's always a bit touchy when showing the 10' units with the smaller door to a prospective tenant.
            Hope this helps.
            Bob Meister
            http://www.aboutstorage.com

Comment

The only thought that comes to my mind is the prospective tenant's perception that your units are smaller than the competition that has 8' doors. On my facility I have 5x10 units that are narrow and deep, and I have 10x5 units that are wide and shallow. The 5x10's have a 3' roll up door and the 10x5's have an 8' roll up door. I get $15 per month more for the 10x5s. To be fair, I sell the 10x5's as easier to get to your stuff since you open the door and everything is there on display rather than in a 5x10 where something could be 10 feet deep on the bottom, but the comments I get from customers ALL THE TIME is that the 10x5's are so much bigger.
              In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSMonroe View Post
                The wider the door openings, the less likely renters are to hit your jambs when they move in or out. The door material is no more expensive (probably cheaper actually) than whatever the jambs are made of. Larger doors are no more difficult to install than 6', assuming you have two people working on it. My opinion is that the wider jambs are also less attractive, but that's just my opinion.

If you ARE building smaller doors to prevent vehicle storage, you might want to consider going with super wide buildings with interior corridors to maximize land use.

It sounds like you are probably using wood buildings, or something with A-panel between units, since steel building manufacturers tend to have a set size between doors.

Steve Hajewski
                Marketing Manager
                Trachte Building Systems
                www.trachte.com
                800 356-5824
                Last edited by Storman; 12th August 2013, 02:38 AM. Reason: removed wording due to site rule #3

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                  Reply to After auction dilema
                  pacnwstorage
                  What they did was strip out the good stuff and left the trash for you to take care of. That is exactly why you should charge at least a $100 cash deposit that you can refund when you inspect the unit after they take everything and do it in the agreed upon time frame. I charge $200. I also now do the...
                  Today, 02:30 PM
                • Penelope
                  After auction dilema
                  Penelope
                  We auctioned a unit. We gave them 3 days to clean it out. They asked for and extension. We gave them 2 additional days. They were in the unit the same day as the auction and put their lock on it. Now it is 10 days later. They have not been back in and are not returning calls. Any suggestions?...
                  Today, 01:57 PM
                • jsparkyii
                  Reply to I had ONE Mad Manager this morning
                  jsparkyii
                  Make it hurt to be a lowlife, lazy, trash leaving thug!
                  Today, 01:02 PM
                Working...
                X