Security Fence - To build or not.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Fence - To build or not.

Question to the forum about security fence…

I've been kicking around the idea of whether or not to install a security fence around our storage facility. In our part of the country it seems like most of the facilities don't have fences. There's also some that do have fences but leave the gates wide open.

Any thoughts or comments on the subject would be appreciated. If I do put a fence up, my intent is to make the fenced area large for outdoor vehicle storage also.

I guess the opinions I'm really interested in are: is it worth the money and expense to put a fence up? Can I charge enough rent more to justify it? Or will it help draw customers to my facility because of added security? We're already running almost 100% full and need to add another building.

Also, my facility is unattended.

Thoughts?

Marlin

Re: Security Fence - To build or not.

If you don't put up a fence, where will all the trash collect?

I would certainly want to store my items in a fenced facility, even if the gate was open most of the time it feels more secure from all other points. Might you at some point have on site management as you expand? If so, fencing now seems to me to be a wise investment, as long you think through the location of the fences so as to not interfere with future expansion. I would guess that if you're looking for outdoor vehicle storage as a future offering that fences would be a must. I don't know too many people that would feel comfortable paying me to park their boat, RV, truck or car out in an open field with no fencing or management on site.
    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Oh, and welcome to SST!
      In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

If your already at 100% not sure why you would invest money in the property, unless you can use that to justify a rent increase on existing tenants. For the majority of my tenants, security is the #1 issue, much higher priority than price.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravo View Post
          If your already at 100% not sure why you would invest money in the property, unless you can use that to justify a rent increase on existing tenants. For the majority of my tenants, security is the #1 issue, much higher priority than price.
          I agree with jbravo, ROI is important, but you have to also look at the opportunity cost of not having a critical component.

For example, I'm from Canada, and needless to say, heated units are a critical factor. 8 Years ago I was hired to develop a property, and I was asked to financially justify climate control, for which I could not. Needless to say, they built uninsulated, unheated facilities. Every winter since, their occupancy drops by about 15% for about 5 months.

Could I fetch an an extra $4 per sqft/year to justify the use of heat? No. But it ended up costing them more in lost revenue.

Comment

Marlin:

I would also suggest checking with your insurance agent to see if the installation of a fence and security gate, to limit access to just customers, would improve your insurance premium at all. If you hope to attract RV and boat owners, the security perimeter will separate you from the folks simply parking vehicles in an open field and hoping for the best.

MisterJim444
            Learning Never Ends, But Will Time?

Comment

Allow me to put a plug in for Trachte, we recently attended one of there seminars in sun prairie, and they recommend cameras instead of fence, unless you offer outside storage. we already had cameras ordered before we went and put them up and the responses we got are amazing people love them! fyi

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                Reply to After auction dilema
                pacnwstorage
                What they did was strip out the good stuff and left the trash for you to take care of. That is exactly why you should charge at least a $100 cash deposit that you can refund when you inspect the unit after they take everything and do it in the agreed upon time frame. I charge $200. I also now do the...
                Today, 02:30 PM
              • Penelope
                After auction dilema
                Penelope
                We auctioned a unit. We gave them 3 days to clean it out. They asked for and extension. We gave them 2 additional days. They were in the unit the same day as the auction and put their lock on it. Now it is 10 days later. They have not been back in and are not returning calls. Any suggestions?...
                Today, 01:57 PM
              • jsparkyii
                Reply to I had ONE Mad Manager this morning
                jsparkyii
                Make it hurt to be a lowlife, lazy, trash leaving thug!
                Today, 01:02 PM
              Working...
              X