Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the pros/cons to modular, portable storage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the pros/cons to modular, portable storage?

I have recenty spoken to a SS owner that is growing his business by slowly adding portable buildings. I understand there are some property tax advantages as these are not permanent, as well as some other advantages. What I want to know is, what are the negatives of these units?
    The biggest negative i have is you cannot use them to park a vehicle or trailer as they are too high above the ground. What elese should I know about them?

Is anyone using these for an entire facility?

Note: I am not referring to the Pod type units that are picked up and dropped off at a home.

Re: What are the pros/cons to modular, portable storage?

Originally posted by Keving75 View Post
    I have recenty spoken to a SS owner that is growing his business by slowly adding portable buildings. I understand there are some property tax advantages as these are not permanent, as well as some other advantages. What I want to know is, what are the negatives of these units?
    The biggest negative i have is you cannot use them to park a vehicle or trailer as they are too high above the ground. What elese should I know about them?

Is anyone using these for an entire facility?

Note: I am not referring to the Pod type units that are picked up and dropped off at a home.
    I'll call them "Micros" as that is the product name we gave them at Trachte. They range in sizes from about 10x10 to 10x30, with 10x20 being the most common footprint. They may be moved with a forklift when empty. If you expect to ever need to transport them over the road, we make a series of them that are 8x__ for easier transport. A variety of unit mixes are available.

Advantages:
    - FAst to erect, no foundation needed
    - In most areas, not taxed as an improvement
    - Ideal for use on leased land or on easements where permanent structures are not an option
    - Rapid depreciation for tax purposes

Disadvantages:
    - Biggest one in my book: They truly are a depreciating asset. Fixed buildings tend to increase in value, these do not.Self storage pays you in the form of rent and also when you someday sell the business. Fixed buildings are a better investment whenever possible for this reason.
    - Financing: they are generally treated as equipment and therefore qualify for a short loan term only
    - They lack curb appeal of fixed buildings
    - As mentioned above, they are a little more difficult for vehicle storage. Some clients build ramps, permanent or moveable.

Municipalities are getting stricter about placement, so you'll want to be sure they are allowed before ordering.

Steve Hajewski
    Marketing Manager
    Trachte Building Systems
    shajewski@trachte.com

Comment

Re: What are the pros/cons to modular, portable storage?

That is what I was looking for, many thanks.

I was thinking of "cheating" the system by making a whole location using these and thus avoiding some government red tape and reap the tax advantages. I am not so sure this is really a good plan after hearing your assement.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
        Reply to After auction dilema
        pacnwstorage
        What they did was strip out the good stuff and left the trash for you to take care of. That is exactly why you should charge at least a $100 cash deposit that you can refund when you inspect the unit after they take everything and do it in the agreed upon time frame. I charge $200. I also now do the...
        Today, 02:30 PM
      • Penelope
        After auction dilema
        Penelope
        We auctioned a unit. We gave them 3 days to clean it out. They asked for and extension. We gave them 2 additional days. They were in the unit the same day as the auction and put their lock on it. Now it is 10 days later. They have not been back in and are not returning calls. Any suggestions?...
        Today, 01:57 PM
      • jsparkyii
        Reply to I had ONE Mad Manager this morning
        jsparkyii
        Make it hurt to be a lowlife, lazy, trash leaving thug!
        Today, 01:02 PM
      Working...
      X