We use Chateau cylinder locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We use Chateau cylinder locks

which are great. However, even with a powerful drill it can be hard and time consuming to drill one out. It's hit or miss, once in awhile you can just power right through it, other times it will take 25 minutes to get it out. We are using expensive (but the highest price ones at Home Depot) drill bits, but they're still breaking. Does anyone have a go to place for really heavy duty sturdy drill bits? Thanks.
    An apple a day keeps ANYONE away if you throw it hard enough.

Re: We use Chateau cylinder locks

Buy a DeWalt or Milwaukee battery powered grinder and buy the metal cut off wheels and cut the off. You just have to pay attention to the direction of the shackle movement to cut at the right place. I typically cut them off within 30-45 seconds. You should have safety wrap around goggles to wear for safety.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

They use cylinder locks not disk locks. Only way to cut those suckers is with a drill. They are no fun! make sure you use a good bit and careful when drilling. Keep pulling the bit out to prevent it from binding up, that will cause a lot of the breakages.

Comment

Chateau used to have lock drilling instruction sheets.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YCRzbou7E
          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We start off with the small but not smallest drill bit, then go up two sizes, up two sizes, up two sizes then bang on the latch. The lock pops out. Time consuming, but it works.
            Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

I have worked in the past at a property that only used cylinder locks and HATED them. They are very hard to drill through, and had issues before too with them where the customers keys for them would just stop working and get jammed in the lock itself, had several like that, they did replace them but was a nightmare. After 3 years working with those I don't know of an "easy way to remove and didn't find one drill bit better than another, and if one breaks off inside while drilling even more of a nightmare. Hopefully never have to deal with those kinda of locks again...I feel your pain.

Comment

Totally agree with StoragePro.
                I worked a property that had cylinder locks.
                My maintenance man had an awful time drilling them out.
                I do remember buying my drill bits from Chateau.
                They were the best bits that I could find.

Comment

Sorry, I missed the part about cylinder locks and assumed disc locks. Get your self a set of good quality cobalt drill bits. Slight lube, like silicone spray, at the tip while drilling will extend the drill bit life. You would not need a whole drill index of those bits, just the small to larger sizes you use.

Comment

The silicone spray in the key spot will keep the workings lubed. Can tell the tenant to do that periodically. Hell, sell small cans of the spray as an add on sale. If you want good bits then buy American made cobalt bits. Pricey but they work and last as long as you use the silicone spray while drilling. It is not a constant spray, just a little bit at a time while drilling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Terri View Post
                      We start off with the small but not smallest drill bit, then go up two sizes, up two sizes, up two sizes then bang on the latch. The lock pops out. Time consuming, but it works.
                      Yeah, my maintenance guy does that. I tend to use the biggest bit and just slam it. We've both had success and failure (25 -30 minutes drill time). Ugh.

Comment

https://www.chateauproducts.com/#ind...iew&prodId=186

Chateau carries this product for cutting those locks.

Comment

I called Chateau and the gal said, "We didn't send you the instructions?"
                          Me: "Instructions? Awesome. Hook me up."

And they emailed me instructions for the best way to do it. So far we haven't had to (insert sad face here) but we're looking forward to trying it.

Comment

Originally posted by mmidgley View Post

They use cylinder locks not disk locks. Only way to cut those suckers is with a drill. They are no fun! make sure you use a good bit and careful when drilling. Keep pulling the bit out to prevent it from binding up, that will cause a lot of the breakages.
                            You don't have to drill the entire cylinder lock. Call Chateau and tell them to give you the drilling instructions for the EZ lock. It takes 5-10 minutes with a 3/16" drill bit.

Comment

I think they key here is the tool!
                              You are going to need a strong heavy duty drill!!!
                              And yes the drill bits are important!
                              But so is the drill!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                                Reply to Charging a deposit
                                by Storman
                                I hold a $30 fully refundable deposit. It's extremely useful.

1) I make a big point in my phone pitch, email response and in-person tour of telling the customer that I do not charge ANY fees. No admin fee, no computer fee, no setup fee, no fees whatsoever that all the REITs around me are...
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • CoolAir
                                Reply to Charging a deposit
                                by CoolAir
                                We charge a non-refundable Admin Fee of $25 which includes disc lock, key ring, pen and letter opener (to open disc lock). No complaints yet....
                                Yesterday, 04:56 PM
                              • Clarkstoragellc
                                Reply to Photo Thread
                                by Clarkstoragellc
                                Other things to do with a Storage location. Spending more time at the new location, so made it more homey. Flowers in full bloom. Eggplant, peppers and tomatoes starting to come in.

Yesterday, 01:24 PM
                              Working...
                              X