Approximate sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Approximate sizes

I am writing that down on the calendar. Advantage IT said I had an excellent point. Miracles do happen! LOL!
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I just had a customer who moved from a 10x10 to a 10x15 and insisted that the 10x15 was the same size as the 10x10. We used our tape measure and then he insisted that our tape measure was wrong. We then used his tape measure and guess what... our tape measure wasn't wrong. It is about 2" short of 10x15. Yes, I guess I must rig our tape measures to lie. Good Grief.

If your sizes are really 2 foot off- that needs to be corrected. Too big a size difference.

I would tell the customer that this was the first I had heard of a large size discrepency. Ask her to come in and measure the storage unit together so that everyone is on the same page. If there is a large size difference, you could then adjust her rent accordingly. It will make her feel like you are addressing her concern while also allowing you to verify a potential problem with many units. And if she is wrong, it solves the problem once and for all.

Comment

I love that you were accused of having a rigged tape measure! LOL.

If that were the case, that your 10x15 was actually 10x10 according to your tape measure, that would make a 5x5 too small to even step into.

People.
        In California.

Comment

Well, this is timely. I had this bite me in the butt just today. We rented a '10x10' unit, only to have the tenant discover it was 8 1/2 ft by 10 due to the way it's built. I explained that it's approximate due to industry standards etc. etc. but with almost 2 feet in difference, rather than argue I knocked some rent off. The clause that Pac referred to is not in my contract, which I will rectify as soon as I come in tomorrow.
          An apple a day keeps ANYONE away if you throw it hard enough.

Comment

I agree that approximate is about 6" plus or minus. When it gets into being a foot or more, that's not approximate to me. Just my opinion. Our rental agreement states in Bold large Fonts that all sizes are approximate. Some are larger some smaller, but in the 6" +- range. If it is more, we tell that to the tenant and mark the price down. We've been at it long enough to know which ones are discounted. On the flip size we have a few we mark up because they are larger. We never rent a unit until the customer sees it first, in an effort to minimize the "You told me it would fit" thing. Does not always work, but we try.

Comment

Buildings are normally measured to the outside wall. If you use 8" block on the unit, that could account for up to 16". 24" does seem to be pushing it though. Not sure if its enough to be sued over or cause a problem though.

Our contract states that all sizes are approximate and for identification purposes and that the tenant agrees that he had the opportunity to see and measure the unit before signing the contract.

Comment

Well, thankfully it wasn't *my* facility, but one of our local sister facilities. It's gotten around that company HQ is above my office, so people often call me trying to reach owners. Usually not with complaints, but I field their calls all.the.time.

It has since been rectified. I told an owner my personal take on it, which was: yeah, that is a big "approximate". As far as I know, she is still there and still finds things to complain about. I actually mentioned her in another thread. She had stated she wants discounts because we are no longer open 7-days a week, and she can no longer use the office restroom when she is here on Sundays. >_<

That facility was bought from a previous company when the co. I work for was expanding their property portfolio. I assume they just ran with whatever sizes the previous company had listed, but I can't be sure. That was long before I came along.
                Kristy Olney
                Self Storage Ninja/Resident Manager
                Stor-All Gardnerville
                Gardnerville, NV
                https://www.storall.biz/self-storage...le/industrial

“Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him as you would a guide to hidden treasure.” The Buddha

Comment

Should be that hard to go and measure the offending units to get a better approximate size for them. Find a like unit in the same building and get a measurement. Then go in to the system and adjust the size on that particular group of units. You can still charge the same but list at a closer approximate size. I have done it here.
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                    Should be that hard to go and measure the offending units to get a better approximate size for them. Find a like unit in the same building and get a measurement. Then go in to the system and adjust the size on that particular group of units. You can still charge the same but list at a closer approximate size. I have done it here.
                    That's exactly what I did on my web site. LIsted the two sizes (10x14 and 10x15) for the same price. By the time the 10x15 units are gone the 10x14 will rent with no argument.

Steve

Comment

We have some units that are like that-- not by feet, but some inches here and there. I do have a warehouse space that's listed as 25x75, but someone measured it and claimed it's 24'74'. So I tell people it's approximate measurements. I did have a "10x30" at my last property that was more like an 8x30, so when we rented it and someone brought it up, we knocked a few bucks off and they were happy.

Comment

Our lease agreement clearly states

APPROXIMATE SIZE
                        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Ours states "sizes are approximate and for identification to the type of unit only"
                          Kristy Olney
                          Stor-All Gardnerville
                          Gardnerville, NV

“Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him as you would a guide to hidden treasure.” The Buddha

Comment

I agree that 2' is too much wiggle room. Yes, when fabricated and installed there will be some loss to the walls and door, but it shouldn't be 2'.

All that being said, if it's in your contract you should have protection.

Comment

Originally posted by AmPrefabStor View Post
                              I agree that 2' is too much wiggle room. Yes, when fabricated and installed there will be some loss to the walls and door, but it shouldn't be 2'.

All that being said, if it's in your contract you should have protection.
                              They must have come to some sort of agreement with her, because she isn't calling me any longer. haha.

I was concerned that a judge may see "approximate" much the same as those commenting here, that 2' is a bit much. Nonetheless, she must have been appeased.
                              Kristy Olney
                              Stor-All Gardnerville
                              Gardnerville, NV

Comment

Interesting related story in the news today. A self-storage employee in Hong Kong was arrested for allegedly violating the city's Trade Descriptions Ordinance. She's accused of exaggerating the size of the units at her facility. An undercover agent reportedly said the unit was 20 percent smaller than advertised.
                                Tony Jones
                                Manager, Inside Self-Storage Store
                                Former Community Manager, Self-Storage Talk
                                Informa Exhibitions LLC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X