X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirkus
    replied
    Re: Approximate sizes

Violating the ordinance carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a HK$500,000 fine.
    Yikes!

Leave a comment:

• Manager_1986
    replied

Originally posted by TonyISS View Post
    Interesting related story in the news today. A self-storage employee in Hong Kong was arrested for allegedly violating the city's Trade Descriptions Ordinance. She's accused of exaggerating the size of the units at her facility. An undercover agent reportedly said the unit was 20 percent smaller than advertised.
    Oh wow!

Leave a comment:

• Kevin SC
    replied

Originally posted by TonyISS View Post
    Interesting related story in the news today. A self-storage employee in Hong Kong was arrested for allegedly violating the city's Trade Descriptions Ordinance. She's accused of exaggerating the size of the units at her facility. An undercover agent reportedly said the unit was 20 percent smaller than advertised.
    Wow, thanks for that Tony

Leave a comment:

• TonyISS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Manager_1986
    replied

Originally posted by AmPrefabStor View Post
    I agree that 2' is too much wiggle room. Yes, when fabricated and installed there will be some loss to the walls and door, but it shouldn't be 2'.

All that being said, if it's in your contract you should have protection.
    They must have come to some sort of agreement with her, because she isn't calling me any longer. haha.

I was concerned that a judge may see "approximate" much the same as those commenting here, that 2' is a bit much. Nonetheless, she must have been appeased.

Leave a comment:

• AmPrefabStor
    replied

I agree that 2' is too much wiggle room. Yes, when fabricated and installed there will be some loss to the walls and door, but it shouldn't be 2'.

All that being said, if it's in your contract you should have protection.

Leave a comment:

• Manager_1986
    replied

Ours states "sizes are approximate and for identification to the type of unit only"

Leave a comment:

• lady5563
    replied

Our lease agreement clearly states

APPROXIMATE SIZE

Leave a comment:

• dreid
    replied

We have some units that are like that-- not by feet, but some inches here and there. I do have a warehouse space that's listed as 25x75, but someone measured it and claimed it's 24'74'. So I tell people it's approximate measurements. I did have a "10x30" at my last property that was more like an 8x30, so when we rented it and someone brought it up, we knocked a few bucks off and they were happy.

Leave a comment:

• Steve_hajewski
    replied

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
    Should be that hard to go and measure the offending units to get a better approximate size for them. Find a like unit in the same building and get a measurement. Then go in to the system and adjust the size on that particular group of units. You can still charge the same but list at a closer approximate size. I have done it here.
    That's exactly what I did on my web site. LIsted the two sizes (10x14 and 10x15) for the same price. By the time the 10x15 units are gone the 10x14 will rent with no argument.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• pacnwstorage
    replied

Should be that hard to go and measure the offending units to get a better approximate size for them. Find a like unit in the same building and get a measurement. Then go in to the system and adjust the size on that particular group of units. You can still charge the same but list at a closer approximate size. I have done it here.

Leave a comment:

• Manager_1986
    replied

Well, thankfully it wasn't *my* facility, but one of our local sister facilities. It's gotten around that company HQ is above my office, so people often call me trying to reach owners. Usually not with complaints, but I field their calls all.the.time.

It has since been rectified. I told an owner my personal take on it, which was: yeah, that is a big "approximate". As far as I know, she is still there and still finds things to complain about. I actually mentioned her in another thread. She had stated she wants discounts because we are no longer open 7-days a week, and she can no longer use the office restroom when she is here on Sundays. >_<

That facility was bought from a previous company when the co. I work for was expanding their property portfolio. I assume they just ran with whatever sizes the previous company had listed, but I can't be sure. That was long before I came along.

Leave a comment:

• teesee150
    replied

Buildings are normally measured to the outside wall. If you use 8" block on the unit, that could account for up to 16". 24" does seem to be pushing it though. Not sure if its enough to be sued over or cause a problem though.

Our contract states that all sizes are approximate and for identification purposes and that the tenant agrees that he had the opportunity to see and measure the unit before signing the contract.

Leave a comment:

• A-team
    replied

I agree that approximate is about 6" plus or minus. When it gets into being a foot or more, that's not approximate to me. Just my opinion. Our rental agreement states in Bold large Fonts that all sizes are approximate. Some are larger some smaller, but in the 6" +- range. If it is more, we tell that to the tenant and mark the price down. We've been at it long enough to know which ones are discounted. On the flip size we have a few we mark up because they are larger. We never rent a unit until the customer sees it first, in an effort to minimize the "You told me it would fit" thing. Does not always work, but we try.

Leave a comment:

• Krismarie
    replied

Well, this is timely. I had this bite me in the butt just today. We rented a '10x10' unit, only to have the tenant discover it was 8 1/2 ft by 10 due to the way it's built. I explained that it's approximate due to industry standards etc. etc. but with almost 2 feet in difference, rather than argue I knocked some rent off. The clause that Pac referred to is not in my contract, which I will rectify as soon as I come in tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X