Trailer Rent Not Paid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Rent Not Paid

I have a tenant who has stored a hot dog cart-type trailer here since the end of March. She has not paid since. So far, the notices I've sent have not come back so I "assume" she's just ignoring them. I've talked to her once - she was at work and said she'd call me back on her break and didn't. Every time since, it rings once and goes straight to voicemail (which tells me she's ignoring the call) and does not call me back. The statutes state that before I can sell it, I have to make a "good faith effort" to contact the owner, or lien holder (if there is one) through the DMV. There is a problem with that, however. There doesn't appear to be a license plate on this trailer, at least not that I can see. It is wrapped in a couple of tarps so it's hard to tell. It is not on the frame near the tail lights though. I also am unable to find a VIN. There has been some work done on the front end of the trailer; new wheels welded on, several coats of paint, and a lot of rust. There is no sticker, no metal plate, and I can't see anything that may have been stamped in. Without any of that info, I can't do a DMV search. Yes, I will probably start a new policy of requiring a copy of the registration for all trailers going forward. I've thought about sending her a lien notice, to scare her, but there's no guarantee that will work. I could also send her a lease termination notice and forget about any rent she owes just to get her out of here. I talked to my other location to get their thoughts and they think she may have abandoned it and to send her a lien notice. Anything I send her from this point on will have to be sent certified and signed for. I don't know what else to do at this point. Suggestions?
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Definitely send a lien notice. Certified and signed for, etc. And if you know the work, send a copy of it to her work as well in care of her name.
    I want buns of steel.
    I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

I have the lien notice ready to go. I have no plans to run the ad in the newspaper, or even hold the sale. I'm just hoping that the notice itself scares her enough to come in and pay. If she does, I will terminate her lease at that point. If this doesn't work, I'll have to figure out how to proceed from here. Maybe have it moved to another space, or a unit, until I get it figured out. It's taking up a spot I could rent to someone else who really needs it.

Comment

I had this same problem with a trailer, could not find the VIN and there was no license plate. The tenant told me he was trying to give it away and had someone near by to take it when he gets the money for the tow truck. We towed it for him to get rid of it and now yes we also require a copy of registration or title.
        One kid tried to give me a copy of his bill of sale. Nope didn't work.
        Janice - Maxi-Space Storage and Business Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by jlemke View Post
          I had this same problem with a trailer, could not find the VIN and there was no license plate. The tenant told me he was trying to give it away and had someone near by to take it when he gets the money for the tow truck. We towed it for him to get rid of it and now yes we also require a copy of registration or title.
          One kid tried to give me a copy of his bill of sale. Nope didn't work.
          At least you had contact with your tenant. Mine appears to be avoiding me.

Comment

It took a while for him to contact me. But I was relentless and kept at him. Try calling from another phone number I do that to.
            Janice - Maxi-Space Storage and Business Solutions

Comment

If she doesn't respond within the time allotted on the default notice you can have it towed as "abandoned vehicle". Doesn't cost you a thing, and it is wrecker companies problem then. I have done it several times here.

Comment

Originally posted by badgorillawife View Post
                If she doesn't respond within the time allotted on the default notice you can have it towed as "abandoned vehicle". Doesn't cost you a thing, and it is wrecker companies problem then. I have done it several times here.
                I am actually considering doing that. They may actually be able to get money from her.

Comment

Mini update: I sent out her lien notice last Friday, 6/8, and she signed for it/picked it up on Saturday, 6/9. I've been open for 4 1/2 hours and have not heard from her. She was so worried about it getting stolen (??) that she called me a few days after bringing it here with her concerns. Had I known then that she would stop paying, I would have told her that if she felt that way, she should take it somewhere she is more comfortable with. But, at least I know the address she gave me is actually hers.

Comment

Years ago, in my previous employment, I had to go and work a site to gain back control.
                    My 1st walk around I found a beautiful almost brand new hot dog cart.
                    In my investigation, I could find NO lease agreement and had no proof as to who was the lucky owner!
                    After speaking with the owner of the property, we agreed that I would purchase a wheel lock device so that the owner or no one for that matter could just hitch up the cart and leave.
                    So after about 30-45 days, the owner of the site was the brand new owner of a hot dog cart and we used it at various properties when we had a tenant appreciation day and/or a grand opening!

If you were to attempt to sell it, whether you post in the paper or MAYBE the owner would want to be the winning bidder at $10. then technically, he would own the cart!
                    Even though the properties owner already does, technically.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Oh hey.....when this hot dog cart owner rented with you, did you ask to se ethe bill of sale OR any kind of title to the hot dog cart?

Comment

I also think the cart does, in fact, have a VIN number.
                        Do you have a make and model number?
                        Do you see any kind of metal plate with any markings on it?
                        Also, you can Google the make and model of the cart and just type in where to find the VIN.

Comment

lady5563 - I didn't rent to her, my Saturday person did. And no, no paperwork. It's not been required before, but this rental is why I will start requiring it on all trailers going forward. I only have a serial number, no VIN. I unwrapped the trailer on Friday, that's how I found the serial. No metal plate of any kind anywhere, and if there was one, it's long gone. The tongue area and almost all of the metal frame are either covered in rust, or several coats of paint. I'm not even going to try to contact the tenant for the paperwork...she's ignoring my notices for payment so I certainly don't expect her to bring me trailer registration. She has until June 22 to pay, according to her lien notice. After that, I don't know. I really don't think it's something anyone would be interested in towing.

Comment

lady5563 If it goes as far as auction, I already have a potential buyer. The guy that was at my sale on Friday said he'd pay $300-$400 for it. We will see.

Comment

I Googled "Where to find a VIN on a hot dog cart"
                              And many sites say the serial number is the VIN!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X