Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

What Do You Fear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What Do You Fear?

    We'd love for you to participate in this new poll on the ISS website. What's your biggest fear about managing a self-storage facility?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

    @AmyCampbell_ISS
    480.281.6091

  • #2
    renting to undesirables, tweeks, homeless etc. -- Can I decline to rent to them, what kind of trouble can I get into.

    Comment


    • #3
      PR disasters. The way I see it, everything else is recoverable.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lady Does A Lot View Post
        renting to undesirables, tweeks, homeless etc. -- Can I decline to rent to them, what kind of trouble can I get into.
        Do you have a sign "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"? That should take care of it but you may want to check with your state laws.

        Comment


        • #5
          My biggest fear is being broke into and someone taking one of the real nice boats or motor homes! Or fire and the media being called and someone seeing their storage unit up in smoke! (I would never let media on site)

          Comment


          • #6
            Other than disasters - Big old stained smelly mattresses!!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by allsecure View Post
              My biggest fear is being broke into and someone taking one of the real nice boats or motor homes! Or fire and the media being called and someone seeing their storage unit up in smoke! (I would never let media on site)
              I have had all that happen. My biggest fear is doing something wrong that the company could be sued for.
              Janice - Maxi-Space Storage and Business Solutions

              Comment


              • #8
                Wasn't really on the list....but I my biggest fear is accidentally disclosing information that stops someone from separating from their partner. There was a thread on this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I know we are supposed to keep people's info confidential but the thread stemmed from someone besides the account owner want to pay the bill, which the community went back and forth on. If a person was with an abusive partner and they found out they were leaving and using a storage facility to secure their belongings before the great escape, and I inadvertently messed up their plan by accepting a payment, that would keep me up at night.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I fear somebody rents a stall from me and fills it full of old tires and doesn't come back the next month to pay the rent.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fire. Everything else can pretty much be addressed while the goose keeps laying golden eggs. If the goose is cooked, no eggs.
                    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Happy View Post
                      Wasn't really on the list....but I my biggest fear is accidentally disclosing information that stops someone from separating from their partner. There was a thread on this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I know we are supposed to keep people's info confidential but the thread stemmed from someone besides the account owner want to pay the bill, which the community went back and forth on. If a person was with an abusive partner and they found out they were leaving and using a storage facility to secure their belongings before the great escape, and I inadvertently messed up their plan by accepting a payment, that would keep me up at night.
                      I dont understand your problem? The only person who should have access to the unit is the one on the contract regardless of who pays

                      My biggest fear is loosing my job/live onsite apt.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Grizz View Post

                        I dont understand your problem? The only person who should have access to the unit is the one on the contract regardless of who pays

                        My biggest fear is loosing my job/live onsite apt.
                        I have the very same fear!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Fire and/or the druggies here.
                          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

                          Comment

                          Latest Topics

                          Collapse

                          • pacnwstorage
                            Reply to Joking Around
                            pacnwstorage
                            He Loved Hearing His Own Voice
                            Ronald was sitting at the breakfast table one Sunday morning reading the USA Today entertainment section.

                            He had just read an article about a beautiful movie star who had announced that she was going to marry a football player, who was famous not only for...
                            Yesterday, 10:52 PM
                          • bentsmom
                            Reply to Thanksgiving Week
                            bentsmom
                            We started a little early and held Customer Appreciations Days at our 3 offices this past Friday and Saturday. For two days we had snacks & refreshments for our customers. Saturday we held a drawing at each office for a gift basket worth $100.00 each. We did not get tons of people but anyone who...
                            Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                          • Steve_hajewski
                            Reply to Need Help! Break Ins through building wall panels!!
                            Steve_hajewski
                            Lock the empty units. While yes, a person could rent a unit and eventually get into the neighboring one, you should at least then have a photo and scan of their ID which should be a pretty good deterrent. Plus, what they said above is good advice.

                            A person could assemble buildings with...
                            Yesterday, 09:30 PM
                          Working...
                          X