Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

What if Someone Gets Hurt on Your Property?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Someone Gets Hurt on Your Property?

Hey everyone. I'm working on an article for the StoreLocal blog about what to do if someone gets hurt on your self storage property.

Some of this will be easy, I think. If someone's hurt badly enough, you'll want to call 911. If it's an employee, they may be entitled to workman's compensation until they recover.

Is it a good idea to have an emergency contact for each tenant, just in case? Do any of you have that?

Are there times when you would drive the tenant to the doctor or hospital, especially considering how expensive ambulances can be? (Suppose the tenant refuses an ambulance for that reason.)

Are there situations I've missed here that you can think of off the top of your head, and how would you handle them?

Thanks in advance! Everyone here has been really helpful with my other questions.

I think that I would call 911 in most situations. Thankfully, knock on wood, I have only had 1 time in 17 years I needed to. The tenant fell off the back of his pickup truck with the back gate down. I would not drive a tenant to the hospital. What if you were to get into an accident? and it was your fault? or your car broke down and timely medical help is needed. Nope. Call 911. If they refuse treatment from EMS you did what you could to help them.

I try to get emergency contacts of tenants just in case.
    The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Our lease has a big paragraph about that. However things can happen. Your biggest protection is liability INSURANCE for your property.

I also would never drive a tenant to the hospital. That is a major liability.
      Stephanie Tharpe
      Senior VP of Operations
      A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
      Nashville, TN
      http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
      www.tnssa.net

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
        Reply to Joking Around
        pacnwstorage
        He Loved Hearing His Own Voice
        Ronald was sitting at the breakfast table one Sunday morning reading the USA Today entertainment section.

He had just read an article about a beautiful movie star who had announced that she was going to marry a football player, who was famous not only for...
        Yesterday, 10:52 PM
      • bentsmom
        Reply to Thanksgiving Week
        bentsmom
        We started a little early and held Customer Appreciations Days at our 3 offices this past Friday and Saturday. For two days we had snacks & refreshments for our customers. Saturday we held a drawing at each office for a gift basket worth $100.00 each. We did not get tons of people but anyone who...
        Yesterday, 09:49 PM
      • Steve_hajewski
        Reply to Need Help! Break Ins through building wall panels!!
        Steve_hajewski
        Lock the empty units. While yes, a person could rent a unit and eventually get into the neighboring one, you should at least then have a photo and scan of their ID which should be a pretty good deterrent. Plus, what they said above is good advice.

A person could assemble buildings with...
        Yesterday, 09:30 PM
      Working...
      X