No announcement yet.

5x10 units

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are proactive you can sometimes manipulate rents to drive people to what you have available. Then you don't have move any walls. And I don't mean discounting... I mean raise rents on what you are short on.

Comment

raising any more will not be a good option for us. We are the highest in our area with steep competition. about 30 in 8 miles. That would have originally been my first move though.

Comment

I have the same problem with my 5X10's. Great topic and responses. Steve, would it be costly to remove the partition between 4' doors and replace with a 9' door on a Trachte building? I have a couple brand new Trac Rite doors left behind by the previous owner that I wouldn't mind using. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by redbird View Post
          I have the same problem with my 5X10's. Great topic and responses. Steve, would it be costly to remove the partition between 4' doors and replace with a 9' door on a Trachte building? I have a couple brand new Trac Rite doors left behind by the previous owner that I wouldn't mind using. thanks
          We just leave the original doors in case there is a reason to switch back at some point

Comment

Why not remove the dividing wall between the units and make it a double door unit?
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

Why not remove the dividing wall between the units and make it a double door unit?
              That would probably work for some folks. Door size is my main issue.

I've had some luck moving a few of my "comp" units into the smaller units. I plan to do more of that. Being from a small town, I donate a few units to local organizations (junior women's club, youth sports organizations, Kiwanis, etc...)

Comment

That would probably work for some folks. Door size is my main issue.

I've had some luck moving a few of my "comp" units into the smaller units. I plan to do more of that. Being from a small town, I donate a few units to local organizations (junior women's club, youth sports organizations, Kiwanis, etc...)
                Yea, comp units, I have two for the Toys for Tots Marines, don't get the prime location on the facility or the prime units.
                "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

You'd need to look at the framing to see if that would work. Our customer support dept could help you figure it out. I'd suggest to ask for Cody in our Customer Service department on this topic (call 800-356-5824 and ask for him). In most cases the column in that partition wall between two units in the same bay would be non-load bearing. If the column goes up to a spot where it is screwed into the mid point of a roof member, you can most likely remove it. If you have any column that supports two ends of a roof framing member, you can NOT remove it.

As for the door frame, If you are at an end wall, there are probably roof members every five feet that need to be supported. They would need to be propped up while you removed the center jamb and installed a wider header and stub post header (smaller framing members in the endwall header). If the two units are in the same bay on a sidewall, there is probably less complication from roof members.

You are probably going to have a few hundred bucks in parts/shipping, but the bigger cost will probably be labor. Photos below to show typical framing.

Call me lazy but I would just raise the 10x10 price and maybe discount the 5x10 units to rent them out. You know as soon as you convert them to a 10x10 you are going to have people clamoring for the 5x10s again.

Jamie_Lindau_Sun_Prairie_WI_111.jpgJamie_Lindau_Sun_Prairie_WI_114.jpg
                  Last edited by Steve_hajewski; 9th August 2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post

You'd need to look at the framing to see if that would work. Our customer support dept could help you figure it out. I'd suggest to ask for Cody in our Customer Service department on this topic (call 800-356-5824 and ask for him). In most cases the column in that partition wall between two units in the same bay would be non-load bearing. If the column goes up to a spot where it is screwed into the mid point of a roof member, you can most likely remove it. If you have any column that supports two ends of a roof framing member, you can NOT remove it.

As for the door frame, If you are at an end wall, there are probably roof members every five feet that need to be supported. They would need to be propped up while you removed the center jamb and installed a wider header and stub post header (smaller framing members in the endwall header). If the two units are in the same bay on a sidewall, there is probably less complication from roof members.

You are probably going to have a few hundred bucks in parts/shipping, but the bigger cost will probably be labor. Photos below to show typical framing.

Call me lazy but I would just raise the 10x10 price and maybe discount the 5x10 units to rent them out. You know as soon as you convert them to a 10x10 you are going to have people clamoring for the 5x10s again.

Jamie_Lindau_Sun_Prairie_WI_111.jpgJamie_Lindau_Sun_Prairie_WI_114.jpg
                    Thanks, Steve. I have a bank of 6 on a side wall that are all vacant. Sounds like it's do-able but it's probably more hassle and expense than its worth.

Comment

Contact a church, charity, local school and ask if they would like a unit donated for the year or so. The donation is a tax right off and gets you in good with the community.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X