Rates on Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rates on Website

We recently had our website redone and have all the prices and online rentals available. While the first month we were swamped with calls and rentals it has dropped right off the last 6 weeks. So, the phones not ringing as pricing on website.
    What's your experience been?
    Tia

Our site has never had the prices, just the sizes, until it was redone recently to include prices. There was a very noticeable drop in the amount of phone calls when that happened. I was successful in getting them removed, though. I was honest and said I'm not getting the amount of calls I used to get. It also took away the ability to charge a higher rate on a popular size unit if I only had one or two left. I don't do online rentals so I can't speak to that, but I'm definitely a "no rates on the website" kind of person.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Hey Storage-Gal,

If we're looking at the situation with only the information you provided, a possibility could be your competition undercutting your newly public pricing. It definitely wouldn't be the first time.

But there could always be outlying factors that you're just not aware of that could be causing this decrease in interest. If I were you I would probably do some research on other self-storage providers in your area just to see if there has been any major changes.

Lastly, using Google Analytics is often a quick and easy way to judge website traffic since you mentioned having your website redone. If you have it already on your website you should be able to look at past traffic compared to current traffic and see if you can isolate any particular patterns in dropoffs.

If you don't have Google Analytics on your pages, I strongly suggest getting that in place and if you need any help just PM me and I'll walk you though it.
      Kevin Kerr
      Storage Commander Management Software
      k[email protected]
      Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin SC View Post
        Hey Storage-Gal,

If we're looking at the situation with only the information you provided, a possibility could be your competition undercutting your newly public pricing. It definitely wouldn't be the first time.

But there could always be outlying factors that you're just not aware of that could be causing this decrease in interest. If I were you I would probably do some research on other self-storage providers in your area just to see if there has been any major changes.

Lastly, using Google Analytics is often a quick and easy way to judge website traffic since you mentioned having your website redone. If you have it already on your website you should be able to look at past traffic compared to current traffic and see if you can isolate any particular patterns in dropoffs.

If you don't have Google Analytics on your pages, I strongly suggest getting that in place and if you need any help just PM me and I'll walk you though it.
        Kevin. we had our website completely redone to include Sitelink Web Edition. We paid a very high price to have this site built over $3000.00. I based my decision on this company as a result of recommendations . We already had an existing website but we paid to have the site completely redone, SEO, and links to our web edition. To my shock, they did not cover the Google Analytics. Additionally, I was advised that I had to provide them with the search words I wanted to use on my site.
        They charge me a monthly fee for the site link reservation system ( so I am paying Sitelink for Web Edition) and paying the website company for having us set up on Web Edition on both locations. If I want access to the back end I have to sign a waiver .
        I am a bit frustrated at this point and am looking for a local company to assist me with some changes including the analytics and to give them back end access to ensure our site is properly optimized. And yes... our company did move down in google about 6 weeks after the new site went live.
        Last edited by storage-gal; 3rd August 2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Ok, well I want to write this out for anyone curious on the subject instead of a PM just to address a few things:

Google Analytics is a free tool that anyone can use for their website. Create an an account with them and they'll give you some HTML code that you can insert into your website. If you are handling your website yourself, it will provide directions on where to place the code (in the <head> section of every page you want tracked). If a 3rd party is handling your website, simply create the Google Analytics account and copy the HTML code provided and sent it to them. Any website developer will know exactly where to place it for you. Afterwards, it will generate information on your website traffic such as your visited pages, bounce rates, visitor behavior, etc.

Once you get more accustomed to the way Google Analytics works, you can create Goals and track Conversions, which would basically be following a visitor's journey through your website and tracking how often visitors are going where you want them to i.e. renting a unit online, taking advantage of online offers, or simply making payments. This allows you to test different methods and tracks results so you can make changes accordingly.

As for the rest of your concerns, I'll send you a PM and we can discuss a few things. Feel free to keep any generic questions not pertaining to particular companies on this thread though.

Hope this helps!
          Kevin Kerr
          Storage Commander Management Software
          k[email protected]
          Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

It may behoove you all to start doing comparison reports, monthly.
            We have our rates online and have the capability for folks to reserve and move-in as well.

Now that your rates are out there, your competition can now see them!

Do you know their rates?
            If not I suggest a quick internet search!!!
            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I've never had rates on my site, if the customer is purely a rate shopper, then they're not my kind of customer. I'm looking for customers that appreciate value, which is much different than cost. If people look at my online reviews they're apt to go to my site, when they don't find rates then they'll either move on or they'll take the time to email or call me and ask. If they email me, which most people under 30 will do instead of call, I've got a 99% closing rate. I'll return emails at 2am if I'm awake to see it, and then the customer is locked up. I've got a canned response on my gmail account, I add a sentence or two at the beginning so they know I'm a real person, then cut and paste the canned response info I've developed over the past couple of decades and the email reply is sent in minutes. I've rented hundreds of units over the years between 7pm and 1am using email.
              Last edited by Storman; 9th August 2018, 02:02 AM.
              In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
                I've never had rates on my site, if the customer is purely a rate shopper, then they're not my kind of customer. I'm looking for customers that appreciate value, which is much different than cost. If people look at my online reviews they're apt to go to my site, when they don't find rates then they'll either move on or they'll take the time to email or call me and ask. If they email me, which most people under 30 will do instead of call, I've got a 99% closing rate. I'll return emails at 2am if I'm awake to see it, and then the customer is locked up. I've got a canned response on my gmail account, I add a sentence or two at the beginning so they know I'm a real person, then cut and past the canned response info I've developed over the past couple of decades and the email reply is sent in minutes. I've rented hundreds of units over the years between 7pm and 1am using email.
                What Storman does. No rates ever at the web site. I don't even list open units at the web site till I talk to a prospective tenant.
                "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                  It may behoove you all to start doing comparison reports, monthly.
                  We have our rates online and have the capability for folks to reserve and move-in as well.

Now that your rates are out there, your competition can now see them!

Do you know their rates?
                  If not I suggest a quick internet search!!!
                  Yes , Iíve always done comparisons , I do it at least twice a week and the competition that has their rates online I do daily . Usually, I have to wait until they are filled up with their 1.00 move ins and then we get paying customers .

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
                    I've never had rates on my site, if the customer is purely a rate shopper, then they're not my kind of customer. I'm looking for customers that appreciate value, which is much different than cost. If people look at my online reviews they're apt to go to my site, when they don't find rates then they'll either move on or they'll take the time to email or call me and ask. If they email me, which most people under 30 will do instead of call, I've got a 99% closing rate. I'll return emails at 2am if I'm awake to see it, and then the customer is locked up. I've got a canned response on my gmail account, I add a sentence or two at the beginning so they know I'm a real person, then cut and past the canned response info I've developed over the past couple of decades and the email reply is sent in minutes. I've rented hundreds of units over the years between 7pm and 1am using email.
                    Yes I do this as well . We answer the phone until later in the evening and usually stat holidays . But ... the phones not been ringing . I have email on my cell phone and answer emails quickly .

Comment

Hey I love this topic!

The biggest thing: the average person visits 3-4 storage websites before picking a facility, so the website should be friendly and the rental process so easy to use that you can get them as a tenant before they go to a different site. People have come to expect to see prices and have the ability rent/reserve online.

As far as displaying rates on your website, it can be a key factor in adding tenants to your facility every month. The drop in phone activity could be due to the fact that the rates were shown, but there was nothing to take action on (i.e. renting).

DairyGirl I agree with you completely on the pricing based on availability. We do this automatically on our client sites. This way they do not have to worry about how many they have available, they know that the price will automatically increase on their website.

I have to agree with Kevin SC when it comes to the Google analytics. He makes several valid points. We find it particularly it is key when monitoring how effective online rentals are.

storage-gal concerning the drop in Google rankings, that is something that can happen in the short term with a new site, give it 6-12 weeks, you should start to move back up. You are right to be frustrated though because you should have been made aware of this, and there are steps they should have taken to minimize the drop.

Comment

storage-gal Who are you using to do your website? You can PM me.

We went online with our pricing two years ago and we have had great success with online reservations and rentals. We watch closely what the competition does. In this new world of millenials (did y'all KNOW they are in their 30's now?) we must market to them too. My reports show a growing amount of them are becoming my new, every day tenants.

As much as I would love to stay in the "no pricing on the website" game, I can't. We have to stay up to date with industry trends and customers who don't see what they are looking for, simply move on. Baby Boomers still call us of course. We have to market to both now. And me, at 52, tend to use the internet for everything. Not sure what my generation is called, but I call myself an "in betweener" (between my kids and my parents) but I find myself doing everything online. From Kroger Click List to Amazon, to paying all of my bills, depositing checks with my phone, etc. If Scotty could beam me up, it would be a perfect world.
                        Stephanie Tharpe
                        Senior VP of Operations
                        A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
                        Nashville, TN
                        http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                        www.tnssa.net

Comment

Website redone ... drop in response ... Hmmmm.

Your search engine position may have lowered. Responses drop as rank drops. First place gets about 47% of responses. Second about 27%. Third gets about 17%.

If they don't see your listing as high in the ranking as before, they don't call as much. It may have nothing to do about listing your prices or not. It might have something to do with amount of visitors to your site.

Then again, it may have to do with what you say on your home page. Did you change the content of the home page? You new page may be just a poorer job of encouraging the person to contact you.

Then again, the new site might might not do as good of a job in their SEO efforts. Google looks for specific things. Not all web developers do an equal job.

Then again, if you had only added the prices to your existing site with no changes, you could have more easily discovered if that affected your results. Many changes muddy the water for analysis.

Myself?

I think some people really appreciate the prices being there and you get more calls. They may not even consider calling just to find your prices.

I think very few people actually spend much time reading page after page. I have a page that shows prices for those who want to see them. BUT, I do not list prices on the home page. In fact, very few people have read that price page and already know the prices when they call.

I think most people shop just a few sites, maybe even just one if they like what they see. I think many people assume that the prices really don't vary that much and it is not worth the effort to spend much time.

I prefer to post my prices. I think it has a positive effect. After all, what are those facilities that hide their prices doing that they do not want us to know?

Comment

Originally posted by lenmay View Post
                            Website redone ... drop in response ... Hmmmm.

I prefer to post my prices. I think it has a positive effect. After all, what are those facilities that hide their prices doing that they do not want us to know?

We, that don't post prices, have explained why we don't earlier in this thread. Nobody is hiding anything. We want to talk to who we "MAY" rent to and see what they may be hiding. Renting a unit is not guaranteed if I have openings. It is a process to get there and so that I can protect me and my existing tenants. Your statement of what we must be hiding is just a shot in the dark. It is all never as cut and dried as you may think it should be.

"Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Whoa! Whoa!! Thanks for the response. I am glad you responded. Let me clarify.

I was not saying that was what I thought of any facility that did not post rates.

I have heard customers make that response about why they chose us. To them, some had that very question in their mind. Others said that they really did not like that they were supposed to make a phone call before they could get pricing. Others said that they did not want to talk to some high pressure salesman just to get information.

I have heard those and others also. It was simply another observation of "to post" or "Not to post" discussion.

I just wasn't clear on explaining what that statement meant. I hope that helps.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MamaDuke
                                Reply to Death of a tenant question
                                by MamaDuke
                                Different states have different laws. In CA, there is a legal form to be completed and notarized, or they must have the proper court documents. In the meantime, we overlock the space to ensure that no one gets access until we have the proper paperwork.

We don't want the son to come next...
                                Today, 12:18 PM
                              • dakselfstorage
                                Reply to Where Would You Live?
                                by dakselfstorage
                                Just spent two nights on the outer edge of Kerrville at a Super 8. It was actually one of the nicer 8's we've stayed in. We did the three twisted sisters near there.
                                Love the entire area....
                                Today, 12:17 PM
                              • pacnwstorage
                                Reply to Death of a tenant question
                                by pacnwstorage
                                IMO, after seeing the certified death certificate and legal paperwork that gives her control of the mother-in-law unit belongings, she can have her name put on the unit and linked to her units. If you wish you can of course reference the mother-in-laws name somewhere on the unit.
                                Today, 10:12 AM
                              Working...
                              X