If only I had known this sooner...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If only I had known this sooner...

What is the one piece of advice, operational procedure, employee motivation topics or any other ideas you have to share with an industry newbie, a former employer or a coworker?
    Gina 6k
    twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
    VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
    storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
    I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

My biggest piece of advice would be to be really careful who you hire! Be relatively sure you have a good idea of strong character. And I mean this on a personal level for you, as well as the company.

Twice I have had subordinates that engaged in slander/defamation to the owners that caused me to lose my job, because the owners don't want to take a chance that it could be truth. The most recent incident is on its way to a considerable lawsuit. But had I hired better, I could have avoided it all in the first place!

When someone wants your job and your home, they will do just about anything to get it if they are of questionable character. (And if they want the money, they will find a way to get it! I've seen more than one owner taken for many thousands of dollars.)

PS - I'm in a much better place now. But the process sucked big time!!!
    MamaDuke
    My circus...My monkeys...OH CRAP!!!

Comment

See my signature. I would vet a possible new hire even harder than a possible new tenant. Check and double check and document everything about them. Set rules, regulations and policies and stick to them. Lots of headaches I see here is from deviating from what is supposed to be done.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

My biggest piece of advice is do not let a bad owner take advantage of you. Do not settle for low pay below minimum wage even if you are offered a residence. You are never truly off and being open six days a week, living on site with no raise, no benefits and no vacation or holidays really takes a toll.

The only positive I have from the horrible 4 years I spent in that situation is it made me extremely passionate to get out and help others. I wanted to be a voice for employees for fair pay, benefits, annual pay raises, a fair and attainable bonus system, vacation and holiday pay, and to educate employees and owners on signs of burn out. I am extremely proud of how we treat our employees and it actually made me a better supervisor and employer.

I would have never gotten through it without the support I received right here on this forum! Mr. Jim, Wayne, Mel and Gina were true friends and counselors. They let me vent, gave me amazing advice and got me through it all. And for that, I will be forever grateful. When I hosted the ISS World Expo Q and A this past spring, trying to fill the BIG shoes of Mr. Jim and Mel, I was told that Mr. Jim took a photo and sent it to Mel. Made me tear up.

Stephanie Tharpe
        Senior VP of Operations
        A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
        Nashville, TN
        http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
        www.tnssa.net

Comment

It's a people business!!! So surround yourself with great people. This applies to your team, your customers, your vendors/suppliers and owners. Life is too short to be connected to bad or unethical people. This will also help you enjoy and have fun at what you're doing.

Comment

Read the lease, know the lease, stick to the lease. Also understand either you are training the tenants or they are training you.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
              See my signature. I would vet a possible new hire even harder than a possible new tenant. Check and double check and document everything about them. Set rules, regulations and policies and stick to them. Lots of headaches I see here is from deviating from what is supposed to be done.
              Hire slow, fire fast

Check references, work history, social media outlets and try to connect the dots. Are they who they say they are???

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
                My biggest piece of advice would be to be really careful who you hire! Be relatively sure you have a good idea of strong character. And I mean this on a personal level for you, as well as the company.

Twice I have had subordinates that engaged in slander/defamation to the owners that caused me to lose my job, because the owners don't want to take a chance that it could be truth. The most recent incident is on its way to a considerable lawsuit. But had I hired better, I could have avoided it all in the first place!

When someone wants your job and your home, they will do just about anything to get it if they are of questionable character. (And if they want the money, they will find a way to get it! I've seen more than one owner taken for many thousands of dollars.)

PS - I'm in a much better place now. But the process sucked big time!!!
                Been there/done that and I feel your pain

Comment

Lots of good information here.

Comment

Don't let mean customers get to you! Go above and beyond for your customers, but don't let the mean ones get you down. Some people are unhappy with their own lives, and take it out on you no matter what you to do accommodate them. Don't take it personal

"You can do 99 things for someone and the only thing they'll remember is the one thing you didn't do"

Be Consistent, don't let one customer get away with something and then let the next one slide.

Don't believe someone when they tell you they've moved out, go and physically check the unit first!

I could go on for days.. lol.

Comment

Take care of your people and they will take care of you. Timely reviews, timely bonus payouts, vacation approvals (within reason), working conditions, etc. If they are unhappy, EVERYONE will know, especially your tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by braun1961 View Post
                        Take care of your people and they will take care of you. Timely reviews, timely bonus payouts, vacation approvals (within reason), working conditions, etc. If they are unhappy, EVERYONE will know, especially your tenants.
                        I agree with you completely except for one important point. I have worked for some bad owners over the decades who wouldn't even sit down for a review when the employees prepared their own. The exception, the customers at one facility this occurred at never knew the staff was unhappy because the staff were professionals!
                        Gina 6k
                        twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                        VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                        storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                        I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X