Lockers locked in open position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockers locked in open position

Hey all, we are new to the industry and have been open about 5 weeks. We have found that some customers don't lock the units corrected. They forget to slide the latch closed and simply lock the unit. Is there anything we can do other than notify them to come lock their unit correctly? Wondering if there is a special way to some how overlock them or if we should even worry about this as it's their fault they haven't secured their goods. Thanks for the input.

I do a lock check every day and if I find one I call, text and email them to come correct. I let them know that if it goes 48 hours I will cut and install a new lock at a cost and will lock out the unit till paid for. There is no other way to lock it that I can see. I just installed, 2 days ago, a laminated sign at the exit gate key pad that asks them to remember to check and double check that the unit is locked correctly.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Notify them that they have "locked the unit open"
      You will want to also put this tutorial in to play when showing units to new clients!

After I complete the move in, I take the tenant directly to the keypad.
      I will let them enter the code so that they are comfortable knowing how to do it and THEN I will walk them around to their unit and give them the "sliding of the latch tutorial" again and stress how important it is that they do it correctly.
      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I always do the sliding latch tutorial when I show a unit and after rental the tenant is "required" to enter and exit to make sure the gate key pad code is working and they get used to driving to the unit and they have to put their lock on. I have found that the ones who forget to slide the latch are typically a friend or relative that the tenant allowed to enter the unit when the tenant is not there.

Comment

My personal policy was to call the customer if they lock the unit open and cut it if they don't fix it within two days max. Then I received a new direction from the corporate office. I was told if the customer locks the door open and something happens to it, that it is on the customer for failing to secure the door. If I go and cut the lock and put one of mine on in it's place then we are now liable for whatever happens to the unit. If the customer claims something is damaged or worse, missing, the fingers point at me because I am the one that locked it and I have the key.

Pacnw, I do the same "locking tutorial" with all customers. Typically people only do it once. I do have one woman that is up to 3 times now. I should charge her extra for the reports I have to do each time she puts her lock on wrong.

Comment

When I see a unit locked wrong I immediately take a pic with cell phone and send to them when I call them to prove it and I send it to my work computer for storage in a file on my desk top computer. In case they want to say I unlocked it and stole something.

Comment

Most units, tho locked in the open position can only be opened about half way before the hasp hits the top of the door so nothing you can do to "overlock" it. Like everyone else said...call the tenant and inform them it is locked in the open position and needs to be fixed immediately. You'd be surprised, it's been my experience that most tenants will show up same day to fix it. And thank you for letting them know. It's all about the customer service

Comment

Right now we have about 9 locked open-with several repeat offenders. I call, email or txt and bupkis. Previous manager just let them go but I am going to document attempts to contact them, then have the maintenance cut and re-lock and charge them $50.
                I want buns of steel.
                I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

we notify and then we cut and replace lock, but only charge for the lock.

Comment

For the past 30 years my regular spiel to a tenant moving in is "for some reason these hasps are poorly designed, in that the holes line up even when they're in the open position, make SURE you slide the hasp and then lock it"

Bottom line is, how lame is it that they designed the holes to line up in the open position? They could easily design them not to line up when open and none of us would have this problem and waste bandwidth with this very thread. Does anybody for any reason lock a unit open?
                    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
                      For the past 30 years my regular spiel to a tenant moving in is "for some reason these hasps are poorly designed, in that the holes line up even when they're in the open position, make SURE you slide the hasp and then lock it"

Bottom line is, how lame is it that they designed the holes to line up in the open position? They could easily design them not to line up when open and none of us would have this problem and waste bandwidth with this very thread. Does anybody for any reason lock a unit open?
                      Good thought. Dumb design.

Comment

My understanding is that people lock them open when entering the unit to prevent any person from locking the door while they are inside. Or they may lock the unit open to eliminate any possibility of locking their key inside.

Comment

If the tenant is told that if they lock the lock on the unit in the open position it will cause damage to the door surface as it all rolls up on itself and they are responsible for this. I have had this exact scenario happen and I warned the tenant and they stopped doing that. If the disc lock, at least my design, is used you cannot remove the key unless you lock the lock. In this scenario you cannot lock the keys in the unit like you can with the padlock design. I always tell them to remove lock, lock it back and separate the key from the lock so they don't accidentally drop them and break the key off in the lock. I also tell them not to lay them on the ground for fear of stepping on the lock and breaking the key off. I look 'em in the eye and tell them this, "I know a thing or two because I have seen a thing or two." Like the Farmer's Insurance commercial. They will then either take it to heart or do as they wish and live with what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthVandal View Post

My understanding is that people lock them open when entering the unit to prevent any person from locking the door while they are inside. Or they may lock the unit open to eliminate any possibility of locking their key inside.
                            in 30+ years I've never seen someone lock the hasp in the open position before going inside the unit. Like Pac said, if they did that and then rolled the door up, the lock would hit the header trim and stop the door from going all the way up while damaging the trim. I've dealt with a couple of customers whom have done that and gotten the lock past the trim and then couldn't get the door to come down....that's a hassle. They had just hung the lock in the hole for convenience, not locked it open.

Most people set the lock and keys on the floor, or on a box just inside, and the smart ones hook the lock through the hole in the footplate as they raise the door past their face.
                            Last edited by Storman; 18th October 2018, 07:59 PM.
                            In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

in 30+ years I've never seen someone lock the hasp in the open position before going inside the unit. Like Pac said, if they did that and then rolled the door up, the lock would hit the header trim and stop the door from going all the way up while damaging the trim. I've dealt with a couple of customers whom have done that and gotten the lock past the trim and then couldn't get the door to come down....that's a hassle. They had just hung the lock in the hole for convenience, not locked it open.

Most people set the lock and keys on the floor, or on a box just inside, and the smart ones hook the lock through the hole in the footplate as they raise the door past their face.
                              Key words, "smart ones".

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X