No announcement yet.

Lockers locked in open position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a tenant with two units and one is locked open. He is currently past due and I was only able to overlock one unit. His mail comes back "unable to forward" and I wasn't able to leave a voicemail when I tried calling him a short time ago...his voicemail has not been set up. Usually I get a message that says the number I am trying to reach is unable to take calls, which means he's out of minutes until he buys more. Well, he just called me. Or, at least that number did. There was no response when I answered, they just hung up. Clearly checking to see who it was that called him. We'll see if he shows up shortly.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

If I have a unit locked in the open position and I call/text/email/alt contact call, I leave a message. On the next message I concentrate on the call to tenant/text to tenant and email to tenant and let them know if the unit is locked wrong for the 48 hours I will cut the lock for $50 and a new lock is $18 and unit is locked till all fees are paid. I also mention all this when I sign up a new tenant.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

That's an interesting situation Pac. Does your contract make mention of the customer's responsibility to keep the unit locked when they're not on the property? Does it state the fee structure you posted if they don't? Mine doesn't say anything about their responsibility to keep the unit locked, so I think an argument could be made that if they properly rented the unit from you and you took payment for their right to use it, that they could then leave the latch in whatever configuration they choose. Seems they've purchased that right. My contract doesn't even say they have to close the door, it just says they have to turn off the light or face a $20 penalty.

I understand your desire to have all the units locked and to "make them pay" if they don't, but you might be on shaky ground here enforcing those fees that (maybe) weren't disclosed to them. Mentioning it at move-in isn't the same as having it in writing with their signature below.

Hmm, I might add something along those lines to my next contract version.
        In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post

in 30+ years I've never seen someone lock the hasp in the open position before going inside the unit. Like Pac said, if they did that and then rolled the door up, the lock would hit the header trim and stop the door from going all the way up while damaging the trim. I've dealt with a couple of customers whom have done that and gotten the lock past the trim and then couldn't get the door to come down....that's a hassle. They had just hung the lock in the hole for convenience, not locked it open.

Most people set the lock and keys on the floor, or on a box just inside, and the smart ones hook the lock through the hole in the footplate as they raise the door past their face.
          Ah, I was thinking of the doors that swing outward as we have both at my facility. I have a disk lock and as someone who's fairly absent-minded/forgetful I lock it in the hasp on my personal unit (with a swinging door) so I always have a place for it. My guess is whoever designs these hasps never thought there were enough people who would struggle with closing it that they had to make it dummy proof.

We had a guy who left his unit completely without a lock once. We thought he forgot it and attached a new lock and it turns out he intended to access the locker again the next day and didn't feel like bothering with locking the unit just to unlock it again the next day. He complained because he thought it would be safe to leave the unit unlocked because "we have cameras".

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
            That's an interesting situation Pac. Does your contract make mention of the customer's responsibility to keep the unit locked when they're not on the property? Does it state the fee structure you posted if they don't? Mine doesn't say anything about their responsibility to keep the unit locked, so I think an argument could be made that if they properly rented the unit from you and you took payment for their right to use it, that they could then leave the latch in whatever configuration they choose. Seems they've purchased that right. My contract doesn't even say they have to close the door, it just says they have to turn off the light or face a $20 penalty.

I understand your desire to have all the units locked and to "make them pay" if they don't, but you might be on shaky ground here enforcing those fees that (maybe) weren't disclosed to them. Mentioning it at move-in isn't the same as having it in writing with their signature below.

Hmm, I might add something along those lines to my next contract version.
            I have an addendum posted in the office that states my rules about the locking of units. I also cover all that at move in and the tenant always gets a copy of that addendum and told to read and know what it says. One of the other parts of the addendum also states that if I am trying to contact them at all the means supplied by them at the lease sign up and I get no response, that I will also lock out a unit till they respond. I state that if a problem arises with ANY of the covered rules/policies/regulations in the lease or addendum, that I don't accept, "I didn't know" as an excuse. Seem harsh? I make sure they all agree with all these statements at the sign up. They have every chance at that point to back out if they want to. I advertise this facility as the most secure in town. I am also known as the most secure facility in town. Guess what, I twist no ones arm to rent or stay here but I stay full most of the time. In this day and age if a tenant does not care about security there are plenty of run of the mill facilities to pick from. None of what I state that I expect from a tenant is ever a surprise. It is covered and documented and approved by them. I have also been told many times that all of the detail I cover and all the documentation I hand out is something they have NEVER experienced at any other facility they have rented at or visited. After all, isn't an unlocked unit an invite to thieves to open and look in to? I think so. I want to stop that from happening.

Comment

We contact tenant right away and give them 1 day, before we cut the lock (with pictures) and Overlock. Then we charge lock cutting fee, plus new lock fee. Some Tenants are repeat offenders of leaving unit locked open so they can prevent us from overlocking.

Comment

Do you store their stuff for them?
                Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Had two this AM. We are not allowed to put locks on their units so we call them and tell them to come lock the unit.

Comment

I've had this happen a few times. If they answer the phone-usually they will come back within a few hours to take care of it. Otherwise, I leave a message stating they have 24 hours to return and secure the unit, reminding them we are not responsible for anything that may be stolen in the meantime. I tell them If they don't return within 24 hours, I sell their account a new lock and charge them for certified mailing of the keys to the address on file. In addition, if we have to grind the lock off they will pay the lock cut fee for the service. I have had one or two say go ahead and bill me I'm already out of town and cant come back.Document the unlocked unit with a photo, and document your conversation because 5 times out of ten they wont remember come the due date they owe that money. Our lease says the tenant is required to have the unit secured with a lock at all times, and we have the right to take whatever measures we deem necessary to re secure the unit if the tenant does not do it themselves.
                    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Document with pics, document all contact attempts, if have to cut off lock and install new take pics of that and document and make sure you give them a time limit and refer to the lease or addendum in all documentation. We have a strict lock door policy as well. If you don't, then the tenant will accuse you of stealing or you are the responsible person for missing items and it also creates an atmosphere of other tenants wondering what is in an unlocked unit and they will look and it all goes downhill from there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X