Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When someone who is not the actual tenant calls to make a payment on the account ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When someone who is not the actual tenant calls to make a payment on the account ...

What do you do?

I don't take credit cards over the phone so I don't worry about it. If they call and are not the tenant I will not tell them how to do it at the website. I have one customer, the tenant. If the tenant wants to share the payment instructions to another person and they want to pay, so be it. Hell, they can even walk in and pay for someone or send a local check in the mail.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I accept payment from anyone, but it depends on your privacy policy. I usually have the tenant call and tell me that 'my dad is paying' and when they call they understand they're just on the phone to make a payment, not chat about the tenant.. I did have a sister pay for her brother who was in jail-she asked if she could and I said sure, I told her amount and she paid it. No exchange of unit number or details of tenant made. Just payment.
      I want buns of steel.
      I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

I don't take payment info over the phone, I tell them how to pay online or pay by phone service. Other than that they can mail me a check or come to the office to see my bright, smiling face!!!

Comment

Here, anyone can pay by phone for anyone. They get no info except the amount due. We note the relation to the tenant when we take the payment. But we are in an affluent area, so in 14 years, there hasn't been an issue.
          MamaDuke

Comment

We take payments any way we can get them, by credit or debit card. No e-checks or cash at the Kiosk. Any more you debit card is your checking account. Over the phone or on line.
            Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

I'll take money from anybody, but I won't give any information out other than the amount due.
              Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

I will also take a payment over the phone.
                Credit card and ACH payments are accepted.
                We use storEDGE and when taking payments over the phone or even in person the system requires us to record the name on the card and the address where that bill or statement is mailed too.
                We also check a box that says we are taking this info over the phone.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I have to say I am surprised at the number of you who take payments over the phone. Just on a personal note, I would be very hesitant to give CC info to a person on the phone!!! I would trust an automated system before I would trust a person. That's why I don't take any CC info over the phone. It is for the tenants protection, and a CYA for me!!! I don't want to have that kind of info.....no thanks!

Comment

That is why I say it this way when I tell them I will not take a c/c number over the phone, "I don't want the liability and all I have is a card swipe so I cannot physically type the numbers in. It is to protect me and your c/c number".

Comment

Originally posted by badgorillawife View Post
                      I have to say I am surprised at the number of you who take payments over the phone. Just on a personal note, I would be very hesitant to give CC info to a person on the phone!!! I would trust an automated system before I would trust a person. That's why I don't take any CC info over the phone. It is for the tenants protection, and a CYA for me!!! I don't want to have that kind of info.....no thanks!
                      What we do to make sure that we cover our butts when taking a phone payment, is they have to provide the billing information for the credit card, helps also reduce the processing fee, but we also charge a phone processing fee to all phone payments, over almost seven years at one site, we have had just a few chargebacks
                      Thanks,

-Ryan

Comment

Within the last 10 minutes I had 2 tenants call in with new c/c numbers because their cards had been hacked and their auto pay would not go thru. I reminded them of the talk at move in about me never ever taking c/c numbers on the phone. They asked why. I said because I do not want the liability and to PROTECT the same card you are trying to give to me. Insert eye roll here. DUH!

Comment

We used to take anything we could get, but have recently stopped being so lenient. We will accept card payments by phone from a tenant or spouse if they are on the lease. If it is grandma, cousin, friend or anyone else, we simply direct them to our website. If they come in to pay, we require ID that must match the card. We no longer accept cards from husband/wife if that person is not present. A few people have got pretty upset, but rules are rules. It protects them as much as it does us. We have had 2 chargebacks in 6 years (both of which ended up being errors on the bank side so we got the money).

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                            Within the last 10 minutes I had 2 tenants call in with new c/c numbers because their cards had been hacked and their auto pay would not go thru. I reminded them of the talk at move in about me never ever taking c/c numbers on the phone. They asked why. I said because I do not want the liability and to PROTECT the same card you are trying to give to me. Insert eye roll here. DUH!
                            Yes girl preach!!! I don't want that responsibility!!!

Comment

Originally posted by badgorillawife View Post

Yes girl preach!!! I don't want that responsibility!!!
                              I have been called a lot of things over my life, some good and some bad, but never been called a girl!

So I ask you, do these tactical shorts I am wearing make my butt look big?! Does NAIR really work or should I just shave my legs? Now where is my purse?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X