Not So Computer Savvy Employees and Sitelink

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not So Computer Savvy Employees and Sitelink

I have a couple of older gentlemen that work very limited hours that arenít too computer savvy .. They donít input move ins on the computer nor transfers , they fax to me and I process those . The rental agreements are hand written and we have a transfer document .
    When I look at the HUB it shows less detail and is pretty clear as to whatís owed . The Sitelink downloaded version can be a bit more complex ( particularly) when a tenant has multiple units . Any feedback anyone with older employees and this challenge ? Please donít recommend lay offs because these are awesome employees just not compute literate . Thanks in advance !
    Last edited by storage-gal; 2nd November 2018, 04:46 PM.

You should have them practice in the demo version so they get the hang of it.

I used to have step-by-step instructions in a binder to help with these situations.
    MamaDuke

Comment

Require them to learn the basics of data entry???
      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

How old are these older gentlemen? You can teach an old dog new tricks if they do a lot of repetition.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We were in the same boat with an older employee. He was so great with the customers that we had to weigh the pros and cons. Pros won out overwhelmingly and I made a 3 ring binder with step by step notes. I made a flow chart & snipped & inputted it on a document & printed it out. He got better and was able to do most by himself. My husband works outside and I had him follow the instructions to make sure they were understandable.

Not everyone can do everything so when you find a loyal employee with personality & good with the customers keep them.
          The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

A free resource we offer is our SiteLink Certified professional course. It's a great way for employees to learn the system, and a great way for employers to confirm they've acquired the skills:
            Training.sitelink.com
            David McCormack
            SiteLink Software
            Phone (919) 865-0789 x1

Email Me

Visit www.sitelink.com for Self Storage Software, Marketplace, SiteLink eSign(TM) and Integrated Merchant Services / Credit Card Processing and EMV

Comment

How can they be great employees if they cant do the job?
              Seems like a training issue

Comment

I agree with everyone else, one thing at a time, repetition until they have it down, step by step training manual. The last elderly employee we hired I made a bunch of copies of our lease packet and had her practice moving someone in and then move them back out like 20 times. (On different days). I did the same thing with all the other stuff we do. It helped her a lot. She's still working on some things, but she is so good with the customers, that is the first thing. The rest will come with time.
                "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
                  You should have them practice in the demo version so they get the hang of it.

I used to have step-by-step instructions in a binder to help with these situations.
                  I do have a manual , I was really wondering if HUB would be easier . Most of our customers are on auto pay

Comment

Originally posted by blazer View Post
                    I agree with everyone else, one thing at a time, repetition until they have it down, step by step training manual. The last elderly employee we hired I made a bunch of copies of our lease packet and had her practice moving someone in and then move them back out like 20 times. (On different days). I did the same thing with all the other stuff we do. It helped her a lot. She's still working on some things, but she is so good with the customers, that is the first thing. The rest will come with time.
                    Yes ! Customer service is key . Most of the younger generation can use a computer but they donít always have the same work ethic as the baby boomers

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                      How can they be great employees if they cant do the job?
                      Seems like a training issue
                      As I previously stated , customer service is THE most important element of our business . Baby boomers have a great work ethic and they are fantastic with the customers . They will learn the system Iím just not sure which would be easier . They are both trainable .

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                        Require them to learn the basics of data entry???
                        Yes they are . Iím just wondering if HUB would be easier . Most of our customers are on auto pay so we donít have many customers that actually go to the facility tk
                        pay . I do have a manual and they are both trainable .

Comment

If I can learn QuikStor, they can learn Sitelink. Definitely practice on the demo and give them different scenarios.
                          I want buns of steel.
                          I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

QuikStor isn't hard is it? I didn't think so. WinSen was more complicated IMO.
                            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

My supervisor has always said, and I agree that it is true, that you can teach someone the computer, you can't teach customer service. I agree with you storage-gal baby boomers and seniors have an amazing work ethic and are really personable with the customers.

I won't wave a broad wand and I am sure there are some wonderful youngsters but the ones that I have seen lately just don't cut it and I wouldn't want them representing our business.
                              The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X