Tenant wants to move out on the 3rd of the month

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant wants to move out on the 3rd of the month

Hey guys, Our lease states that we don't pro-rate move outs but I had this situation this week. I had a tenant who called letting us know she was going to move out. The 1st was on Thursday and she said she wouldn't be off of work to move out until Sunday (the 3rd). I didn't want to hurt her financially by charging her a whole month but I also was losing rent on the unit since I couldn't rent it while she was in it. I ended up pro-rating her rent so she would pay something. Ended up being 15 bucks which she happily paid. I did want some insight as to how some of you handled this. 3 days was my limit but I imagine I am going to have some people in the future who want an extra week or something. Do you pro-rate it or do you charge them for the whole month. Thanks in advance!

At my facility they either pay the full month on the 1st or pay a half month before the 1st. No other exceptions. Tried the pro rate of 2-3 to 4-5 days thing and the tenants were just full of excuses. 1/2 month or full month, that is it.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by wheelspinner99 View Post
      Hey guys, Our lease states that we don't pro-rate move outs but I had this situation this week. I had a tenant who called letting us know she was going to move out. The 1st was on Thursday and she said she wouldn't be off of work to move out until Sunday (the 3rd). I didn't want to hurt her financially by charging her a whole month but I also was losing rent on the unit since I couldn't rent it while she was in it. I ended up pro-rating her rent so she would pay something. Ended up being 15 bucks which she happily paid. I did want some insight as to how some of you handled this. 3 days was my limit but I imagine I am going to have some people in the future who want an extra week or something. Do you pro-rate it or do you charge them for the whole month. Thanks in advance!
      I've read on this forum that some facilities allow a couple days of grace on the first of the month. We go by anniversary date and we run into this all the time. The thing I'm running up against now is that almost all the facilities in our city offer pro-rate and we're nowhere near full so this is a question we're being asked all the time. The owner says, pro-rate after the first month.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        At my facility they either pay the full month on the 1st or pay a half month before the 1st. No other exceptions. Tried the pro rate of 2-3 to 4-5 days thing and the tenants were just full of excuses. 1/2 month or full month, that is it.
        Pawn, you are in the same boat as we used to be. You are full. Unfortunately this is no longer the situation we are in and if people call and ask about pro-rate we will do it, but they have to stay at least 1 month, after that we pro-rate. We go by anniversary date, but now... when people reserve I ask if they want me to charge for the remainder of their month and the next month so that their paid through date is the end of the month, because let's face it. Most people are the 15th or the 1st. At least here .

Comment

Originally posted by storage-gal View Post

I've read on this forum that some facilities allow a couple days of grace on the first of the month. We go by anniversary date and we run into this all the time. The thing I'm running up against now is that almost all the facilities in our city offer pro-rate and we're nowhere near full so this is a question we're being asked all the time. The owner says, pro-rate after the first month.
          So you pro-rate the move out after they have paid for at least 1 full month? Just trying to make sure I understand. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            So at your place if they contact you before the 1st and say they need an extra week or anything less than 15 days you charge them 1/2 months rent? I assume if they go over that you lock them out and charge them the remainder of the month? Thanks for you insight, just want to make sure I understand you completely.

Comment

The thing is, the tenants know I mean business when I allow the 1/2 month rent. They can come in before the 15 days are up and pay another 1/2 month rent but that is all they can do. They can never pay 1/2 month rent again. If they pay 2 of the 1/2 month rent they have used their get out of jail free card and have to pay a full month rent from that time forward. They squawk sometimes but when they pay the first 1/2 month rent I go over all this with them. They are adults and they make the call. If they move out owing money, they get sent to collections and yes, they know that too.

Comment

We prorate move-outs up until the late fee would apply, which is 10 days. And I've never had an issue doing it this way.
                MamaDuke

Comment

Our lease (1st to end of month only) also states no prorating. If it's a unit we are full on, we charge by the month only, no exceptions. You give them an extra day, it ends up being 5 or 6. If it's a unit we have some vacancies on, we will sometimes allow a day or 2 at the most at no charge as long as they actually move out. If they need 3 or 4 days we may prorate with enough notice, but usually not. It gets messy when you try to pro-rate then they stay an extra day past the prorate. Then you have another payment for a few bucks to process.

If someone moves out during the "grace" period, we usually don't do anything about it, not worth the time.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgosonics View Post
                    If someone moves out during the "grace" period, we usually don't do anything about it, not worth the time.
                    That's what I was wondering. She could have told me, sure I will pay the pro-rated rent, and then moved out on the 3rd and I would have never seen her again. I am basically seeing what managers do during the "grace period". We are new and leasing up so I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I don't want people getting free rent. This situation would only apply to people who are existing tenants who are scheduling a move out. If they paid their rent on the 1st and then wanted to move out on the 6th out lease states that we will not refund any rent for a move out. This lady contacted me before the end of the month (she was paid until the end of the month) and asked for a couple of extra days to make it to the weekend.

Thanks everyone for the great replies. If there are more ideas keep on posting. Thanks!

Comment

We have 4 facilities in the area, 3 managers (one runs two small facilities). The other two managers give people a grace period until the 5th day of the month, because on the 6th we charge late fees. I tried doing that, but it was too complicated. People were trying to break that grace period and I had to waive lots of fees. Now I just tell people that they have to be out by the very last day of the month or I will charge them a full month. If they're tentants on the first day of the month, they pay the entire month. I normally don't have any issues. Ive had maybe one major issue and that's because our call center told them they would get reimbursed a pro rated amount.
                      Our paperwork says that tenants must give at least 15 days notice of move out and if they actually followed the rules, they would hear straight out of my mouth that they have until the very last day to move out. I find at my facility particularly that if I dont draw firm boundaries, tenants will use every little advantage to the nth degree.
                      Last edited by AFSManD; 7th November 2018, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AFSManD View Post
                        We have 4 facilities in the area, 3 managers (one runs two small facilities). The other two managers give people a grace period until the 5th day of the month, because on the 6th we charge late fees. I tried doing that, but it was too complicated. People were trying to break that grace period and I had to waive lots of fees. Now I just tell people that they have to be out by the very last day of the month or I will charge them a full month. If they're tentants on the first day of the month, they pay the entire month. I normally don't have any issues. Ive had maybe one major issue and that's because our call center told them they would get reimbursed a pro rated amount.
                        Our paperwork says that tenants must give at least 15 days notice of move out and if they actually followed the rules, they would hear straight out of my mouth that they have until the very last day to move out. I find at my facility particularly that if I dont draw firm boundaries, tenants will use every little advantage to the nth degree.

Bad habit using the phrase, "grace period".

Comment

We do not prorate rent and require a 7 day noticed to move. In this case she gave notice and needed a couple more days. I would look how she had paid and was she a good tenant and left the unit clean. I would give her the three days, bend the rules a little and make life easy on you self. But saying that also do not let the business run you. IMO
                          Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

We do not prorate on the move-outs.
                            Period.
                            No debate.
                            No discussion.

This is why all of our tenants are denied access when they are 1 day late.
                            They can't get in to vacate if they owe rent.
                            Period.
                            No debate.
                            No discussion.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                              We do not prorate on the move-outs.
                              Period.
                              No debate.
                              No discussion.

This is why all of our tenants are denied access when they are 1 day late.
                              They can't get in to vacate if they owe rent.
                              Period.
                              No debate.
                              No discussion.
                              I'm just curious. Do you go by anniversary date or by 1st of the month? Also, if you do anniversary date do you charge for the full amount of that month remaining and the full next month?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X