Tenant wants to move out on the 3rd of the month

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wheelspinner99 View Post

So you pro-rate the move out after they have paid for at least 1 full month? Just trying to make sure I understand. Thanks!
    We go by anniversary date. So if they move in on the 5th I am very clear that they will be always paying for those 30 days. I also am very clear at move in that we DO NOT pro-rate so to be sure to plan their move out's around that date. I have no problems really , but the odd one balks and the owner says do it. So I do.

Comment

I am an anniversary due date and the tenant will pay the entire month at the time of move in and that date will always be the due date.

Move in on the 8th, pay your 1st months rent and then your due date is always the 8th.
      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We are anniversary and we prorate-no issues. Quick Stor does a great job with the prorate thing so I've had no issues. If a tenant calls and asks about move out I check their due date and state that as long as their out before then they're golden. It works about 85% of the time. The other 15% we'll prorate.
        I want buns of steel.
        I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

Bad habit using the phrase, "grace period".
          It's better than the phrase "glory hole" that is/was used on Gold Rush many a times...

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
            I am an anniversary due date and the tenant will pay the entire month at the time of move in and that date will always be the due date.

Move in on the 8th, pay your 1st months rent and then your due date is always the 8th.
            A question to those with anniversary billing, how do you deal with "periods of grace", redlocking, letters etc? Seems like every day there would be a lot of work making sure tenant A is late, tenant B is not, etc etc. We have about 400 units, I can't imagine having to go out and redlock someone every day, then do a letter and whatever else. Plus when an tenant calls asking when their payment is due you have to look them up. At least we always have the same answer. More power to those that make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgosonics View Post

It's better than the phrase "glory hole" that is/was used on Gold Rush many a times...
              Well, don't they each mean two different things? Grace period gives the tenant the feeling that they are not late if rent is due on the first and it is the 8th and still not paid. They would not think the rent is late till they are locked out and have a late fee.

The "glory hole" is all about the finding of gold.

Where do these two phrases cross paths?
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I have an addendum to my lease that states "you must give notice by the 15th of the month to vacate the last day of the month." If they follow this rule and cant be out by the last day we will prorate them up to 1 week as a courtesy. This way most of the time I dont owe them, they dont owe me. The Addendum is helpful as I can change it at any time. I'm 1st of month.

Comment

Well, don't they each mean two different things? Grace period gives the tenant the feeling that they are not late if rent is due on the first and it is the 8th and still not paid. They would not think the rent is late till they are locked out and have a late fee.

The "glory hole" is all about the finding of gold.

Where do these two phrases cross paths?
                  No relation, just trying to add some humor. I think I will stick with the phrase period of grace instead of grace period lol

Comment

Ok, I wasn't sure. Was funny though because it had me befuddled. If you say "period of grace" does that confuse or piss off the atheists.
                    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Ok, I wasn't sure. Was funny though because it had me befuddled. If you say "period of grace" does that confuse or piss off the atheists.
                      Both hahaha

Comment

We prorate on move in and rent is always due on the 1st after that. I tell customers when they move in, that we do not prorate when they move out. I suggest they plan their move out towards the end of the month to get the best bang for their buck, but if the 1st comes up, the system is automatically going to charge them for the months rent. I explain to them that it is discretionary, but I can prorate them for up to 3 days when they move out. After that, I would have to charge for the whole month though.

Sometimes life happens. If cut them a break and only charge them for a couple days, I still collect something and the customer leaves happy. They will then tell their friends that they had a pleasant experience here and potentially bring me more business.

I charge a late fee and overlock at 10 days late. I've had it happen in the past where the customer is told they'll have to pay the whole month, they come in the night before I overlock and clear out. Now they've stayed longer than they would have and I have zero rent to show for it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X