Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Potential commercial customer wants to store food products

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential commercial customer wants to store food products

I am looking for some advice regarding a potential commercial customer who would like to store dry food products (chips, crackers, breads) in a large unit. The food items would rotate in and out frequently. They would bring in a national professional exterminator to service the storage unit by spraying and placing traps for mice. As much as I love our commercial customers, I am quite reluctant to welcome this new one. We are located in northern Minnesota and I am justifiably concerned that the mice will find their way in - and will pose a problem for the neighboring tenants. Have any of you dealt with a commercial customer wanting to store food items? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I guarantee you that if you do this you will regret this. The rodents and varmints and insects this will draw will permeate your facility as well as other tenant's units. The promise of the exterminator will be just that, a promise and it will not hold water. So, who clears the traps that will fill with the mice? Are they going to spray every day, 3 times a day? Your call but if you do this you will regret it and the other affected tenants will leave in droves. It is bad enough when we have tenants do something like this when they sneak the items in the unit.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Thank you for your input! My inclination was to say NO, and I will definitely steer him elsewhere!

Comment

I agree on a big no for this one. The risk is too high.

Comment

Big fat NO on this one! Too easy for other tenants to be affected and then the finger gets pointed at you for allowing it.
          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

If your lease states no food, then NO food, I'd say.
            AmyLou

Comment

Another big NO! And if they are a distributor a lot of truck traffic will happen Wear and tear on every thing . Backing into buildings and doors etc; etc;
              Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Don't do it! We had a national brand come in because a partner allowed it. NOTHING BUT TROUBLE! Run the other direction. They need to store in food approved warehouses, not self storage. And trust me, you don't want to deal with the local delivery drivers who are replaced more often than some change underwear. You'll never know what kind of riff-raff has the code to your property.
                Gina 6k
                twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by grcitylimits View Post
                  Thank you for your input! My inclination was to say NO, and I will definitely steer him elsewhere!
                  Tell them that U-Haul is a great place to store those kinds of products

Comment

I told the story about the rats and the organic pizza flour, right? (it reminded me of the song, 'Party all the time') Tell them no.
                    I want buns of steel.
                    I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

A direct competitor of mine, just down the street has 4 10x20's with no separating walls for Stroehman Bread!
                      The state health inspectors come once a year because of this unique storing situation AND the Stroehman bread folks actually pay to have their own pest control come to the site once a month and they do their own pest control.

For them, they have had this storage unit for over 5 years now and I am told that there is never an issue with vermin.

It does seem that whatever is dropped off 2 x a week, is quickly picked up and then out for delivery.
                      In any day, I am told there is nothing that is ever really "stored" overnight.
                      The way the bread comes in, the driver is then able to make all of his deliveries on that same day!

So MAYBE don't be so quick to discount the thought of a commercial contract!
                      They just may be your brand new tenant for years to come and be on autopay!

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
                        I told the story about the rats and the organic pizza flour, right? (it reminded me of the song, 'Party all the time') Tell them no.
                        Was told many years ago that the best thing to bait a rat trap with was flour, and I've tried it and it does work like a charm.

Comment

Wow, you folks don't mind turning away really good money from a long term tenant! We've had snack, bread and chip companies distribute from our self storage for over 30 years. They pay great and they take care of their own pest control. We cover that they *must* have their own pest control service on a regular basis inside the unit and they have no problem with it. We've had several different companies, small to very large companies, and they always pay great. We love the $$$$$$$!

Comment

$$$$$$$$$$$$ is not the answer to all concerns. The company can start to have $$$$$$$$$ problems and then cut the pest control and the pests move right in and that just gets worse from there for the other tenants at the facility. It doesn't even have to be a food company, if I get a bad spidey sense from a prospective tenant, I will not rent to them. Your facility, your choices but I am way ahead with my choices.
                            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I would say no too. They might bring in good $ but they could potentially be a problem. I am sure that many companies would do the right thing and have pest control and be responsible however once you have vermin and another customer's items are damaged then you have an issue.

Once word gets around. The old saying is I told one person and they told one person and they told one person and so on and so on...
                              The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X