Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Manager Intercepts Package of Marijuana Intended for Tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager Intercepts Package of Marijuana Intended for Tenant

Interesting news from New Jersey. A manager mistakenly opened a package meant for a tenant and discovered two pounds of weed! What are the chances!

Do you accept packages on behalf of your customers? If so, are you concerned about illegal activity?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

WOW!
    We have some long term business customers who we will accept packages for but there are only 2 and I trust that they wouldn't be sending contraband and they trust that I will make sure that the packages get to their unit. Other than them, no we do not accept packages.
    The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

I used to accept packages for just 2 long time tenants but recently the owner said no more. I lost one of the tenants that had an indoor 5x10 unit and I rented it immediately and the other is still here. They were both pharma reps. Kind of nice to not do it anymore. Don't miss it.

I am surprised the pot package made it to the facility with all the ways they have of actually checking or sniffing a package along the trip. Hope the receiver and the sender get what they deserve, jail time.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We rent out private mail boxes and we accept all packages from Fed ex, UPS etc. Most come from amazon or wish. But now I do wonder what is in them.

Janice - Maxi-Space Storage and Business Solutions

Comment

Nope, nope and h*ll no. Never will here, go to Crackhead storage down the street if you want that

Comment

If you can't trust a person will pay their bill on time, why trust their mail

Comment

Accepting a package on behalf of a tenant completely changes the type of company you are and the laws pertaining to you. Make sure you're protected, and see that you're being paid accordingly to accept this additional liability.

"The last thing you want to do in self-storage is create a bailment by having care, custody, or control over a tenant’s goods. By having that care, custody, or control you have increased your level of responsibility, on in legal terms – duty, to safeguard the property. When you have no bailment and the unit is loaded self-serviced and locked with the tenant lock, the tenant has the key, you really do not have much of a duty to know about property becoming moldy, getting wet from a roof leak, and etc., until you know you have a problem within the building, at which point you may have to inspect. However, if you have a key to the door or a master key lock system you are accepting more duty to care for the property than you should and this is outside the parameters of where you want your business to operate. If you have keys to a vehicle, wine lockers, and/or record storage rooms, and are picking up or delivering servicing or otherwise have the ability to move or touch the goods, you have created a bailment and increased your liability."

Lots of good info here in the ISS archives: https://www.insideselfstorage.com/ar...ries-customers

For me, the risk/reward is WAY out of balance. No packages accepted here.

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
                Accepting a package on behalf of a tenant completely changes the type of company you are and the laws pertaining to you. Make sure you're protected, and see that you're being paid accordingly to accept this additional liability.

"The last thing you want to do in self-storage is create a bailment by having care, custody, or control over a tenant’s goods. By having that care, custody, or control you have increased your level of responsibility, on in legal terms – duty, to safeguard the property. When you have no bailment and the unit is loaded self-serviced and locked with the tenant lock, the tenant has the key, you really do not have much of a duty to know about property becoming moldy, getting wet from a roof leak, and etc., until you know you have a problem within the building, at which point you may have to inspect. However, if you have a key to the door or a master key lock system you are accepting more duty to care for the property than you should and this is outside the parameters of where you want your business to operate. If you have keys to a vehicle, wine lockers, and/or record storage rooms, and are picking up or delivering servicing or otherwise have the ability to move or touch the goods, you have created a bailment and increased your liability."

Lots of good info here in the ISS archives: https://www.insideselfstorage.com/ar...ries-customers

For me, the risk/reward is WAY out of balance. No packages accepted here.
                This is exactly why we stopped doing it here. Every time someone has approached me to accept packages they always say that I will never be held responsible for them. Yea, right up to the point where they do and the company they work for is behind it. The 2 that I did accept packages for were here when I took over and I just continued what was already taking place. The one that is still here had stopped getting packages here for a while when she was meeting a delivery driver at a parking lot and getting them but she got freaked out by some of the drivers and started back here till I recently stopped it.
                "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

My question is
                  Why would the manager actually open a package that was not addressed to him????
                  Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We do not accept packages and if they come they are returned to sender. We want to block any future trouble. That is what the post office or UPS is for.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X