Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when your cloud-based accounting software goes down?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

    Must have been connected to the nationwide Century Link outage?
    Possibly, since everything was affected.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

    Comment


    • #17
      Yeah, it could be that Century Link outage. (A few days after that our 911 call system went out in this State.) Or, it can be anything else. Like someone trying to DDoS them. It would help if the company acknowledged it and gave us some explanation.

      Originally posted by teesee150 View Post
      I was pretty disappointed with this outage. We were down as well. I remember one of the selling points of Sitelink web edition being able to use software even if the internet went down since a local copy was stored on the PC. This was definitely NOT the case at all since the software would crash/freeze just trying to login with no way to get around.
      Yep, it went down like a brick. Teaches you not be believe any marketing materials, hah

      What helped for us is doing what was suggested above. We'll be doing it every Monday now on. Can't trust it otherwise:

      - In Site Link go to Reports -> Occupied Units (its in the 2nd column from the left) -- double click it. Then click OK.

      - On the top, click the Export button. It's kinda hard to find it. Move the mouse over all of them and read a small popup prompt until you find it.

      - Select any location (like Documents) and make sure to change "Save as type" to Microsoft Word. (Or keep it as Excel if you prefer it.) Then hit Save to save.

      This will create a file with all your occupied units info. The reason I didn't print it is two-fold: it saves paper and also allows you to search. Otherwise that list is not really alphabetized well, so good luck finding anything in it.

      - So when the program goes down again, bring up that saved Word doc. It will at least give you some basic info about your customers. The most important feature though is the search. Hit Ctrl+F and you'll be able to locate your customers by name or unit number.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
        I use Silelink too and experienced the same issues. I'll take cash or check payments and issue a hand-written receipt. I don't have the old-fashioned card swipe thing like Kris does, and most of my tenants will not allow their card numbers to be written on anything, even with a promise to shred later. Printing a report every week is a good idea, and I've thought about doing it, but never do. Probably because I'm not as busy as other facilities and it seems like a waste of paper and toner. The whole time Sitelink was down yesterday, I had one tenant come in wanting to know when he was paid thru.
        We discussed printing reports when SL was down. I am wondering if I can just download them instead of printing?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by JulieA View Post

          We discussed printing reports when SL was down. I am wondering if I can just download them instead of printing?
          I posted somewhere above that you can export them into word.
          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

          Comment


          • #20
            I would just like to point out: I have been using Sitelink for 10+ years and this is the first time I've experienced an outage on their end.

            Yes, I've had problems with my internet, but that wasn't them. Yes, there have been nationwide issues with Frontier services, but again, not Sitelink.

            I think to be able to say that once in 10 years they went down, and had it working the same day, with just a hiccup again the next, is pretty amazing!
            MamaDuke

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
              I would just like to point out: I have been using Sitelink for 10+ years and this is the first time I've experienced an outage on their end.

              Yes, I've had problems with my internet, but that wasn't them. Yes, there have been nationwide issues with Frontier services, but again, not Sitelink.

              I think to be able to say that once in 10 years they went down, and had it working the same day, with just a hiccup again the next, is pretty amazing!
              I'm curious if that "Site link certified professional" in your signature has anything to do with what you said there ......

              We've been using it for that long as well and had multiple issues with their servers.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post

                I'm curious if that "Site link certified professional" in your signature has anything to do with what you said there ......

                We've been using it for that long as well and had multiple issues with their servers.
                Nope! Not at all. That just means I've done their training to earn that title.
                MamaDuke

                Comment


                • #23
                  Instead of printing any report you could just PDF the report and "save it as" somewhere in your computer and then you could pull it up and see your tenants balance due that way.

                  Yes???
                  Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by JulieA View Post

                    We discussed printing reports when SL was down. I am wondering if I can just download them instead of printing?
                    Yes, you can save them as either a excel or doc on your computer. I did it often with reports.
                    Don't be so hard on yourself. The mom in E.T. had an alien living in her house for days and didn't notice.

                    WA State

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post

                      Nope! Not at all. That just means I've done their training to earn that title.
                      I did too, then moved to a facility with QS. (bummer)
                      Don't be so hard on yourself. The mom in E.T. had an alien living in her house for days and didn't notice.

                      WA State

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        As for which report to print or export, I'd recommend the Rent Roll report (Reports > Tenant Reports) over the Occupied Units report. The Occupied Units report cannot be sorted by tenant name whereas the Rent Roll report can (many tenants don't know their unit number off the top of their head). Also, the Rent Roll report shows the actual charge balance on the account, whereas the Occupied Units report only shows the monthly rent. Granted the first reason doesn't matter if you're exporting the report since you can use the search function, but we always print the reports in case of a power failure.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Our computers are on WIFI so we just used a cellphone to create a WIFI hotspot. However we could have just used the ďsmartĒ cell phone also to sign in to our cloud based software and conducted normal business since our printers are also connected via WIFI. It was part of our planning since our location doesnít have a lot of options for internet service and repair service isnít too prompt ó yes itís Century Link.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Iíve always printed off the directory by tenant and the rent roll . Itís quick to look up unit number on the directory .

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by KevinS View Post
                              Our computers are on WIFI so we just used a cellphone to create a WIFI hotspot. However we could have just used the ďsmartĒ cell phone also to sign in to our cloud based software and conducted normal business since our printers are also connected via WIFI. It was part of our planning since our location doesnít have a lot of options for internet service and repair service isnít too prompt ó yes itís Century Link.
                              But when this problem occurred, it wasn't with the internet, it was with the software's servers. There wasn't anything any of us could do but work with pen and paper while we waited for them to get repaired!
                              MamaDuke

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Glad we are stone age using stand alone with a backup computer in the back office.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X