Black List Customers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black List Customers

Is it legal to keep a list, for our use only, customers who we would not rent to after they leave? We have had customers, like most of you, who left us with a mess or were just bad tenants in our mind who we would not rent to if they came back.I would like to post a list in our office "Customers Do Not Rent To" but don't know if this is legal. I wish there was a place to post the names of tenants for all other facilities in our area to be on the look out for. Any thoughts?

My QuikStor system has a report that it titled, "List of Tenants a Manager would least likely rent to again". I also call around to other facilities to warn them against tenants I would not rent to and I also explain why. It isn't like the tenant is applying for a job and a facility calls you for a recommendation.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

QuikStor will actually give you a hard time trying to move in a tenant that owes money.
      I had a tenant that bailed and owed a few hundred bucks. Several years latter she came back to rent. I did not recognize her.during mover in I did not understand why QuikStor was giving me an issue. I tried a work around as I thought it was some type of glitch in software. As soon as I figured it out I pulled the lease back and told her she owed $$ from the past. She said she would pay extra every month to get caught up. She paid extra toward at move in and against my better judgement I rented to her. Never again she now owes even more and moved to a state that our collection agency can't collect. Trust QuikStor.
      Joe Krezdorn
      DAK Self Storage
      Leesport, PA 19533
      www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

I do trust QuikStor. It will not even let you do a transfer if a current tenant owes rent.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. On a similar subject - when you collect past due rent, do you insist on cash to allow immediate access? My thoughts are that they pay by CC, move out then dispute the charges.

Comment

Originally posted by SecureStore View Post
            Thanks for the replies. On a similar subject - when you collect past due rent, do you insist on cash to allow immediate access? My thoughts are that they pay by CC, move out then dispute the charges.
            In Lien status they can pay by credit card-but are locked out for 2 weeks until we know the payment clears.
            90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

We get a new list every month or so of people we won't rent to for ALL of our facilities. I have it in my everyday book.
              90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Depends on the tenant and how late they are. If the very first time their rent is due, after just moving in, and they are late, I would accept only cash. If they are a regular then I use my spidey sense to take a chance or not. If the tenant pays at the end of the month to avoid paying the next month's rent then I never take a check. I also never ever take a c/c number over the phone at any time. You will have to figure out your comfort zone for all this. If there is one NSF check, then never take checks after that.

Comment

I just add a line to their address that says DO NOT RENT. That will be very visible if they try to rent again in the future.
                  MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by SecureStore View Post
                    If they have to have immediate access, we do have a form they can sign stating they paid an account in final lien status with a credit or debit card and they promise not to dispute the charges with their bank- the form has their unit number, card number and signature and date. This form is especially helpful when a friend of the tenant pays for them. Usually we dont allow access right away of they pay by card to allow funds time to clear the banks, but sometimes its needed. Most cards will be declined at POS if funds arent available.
                    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

It really depends on the management software you are using to achieve the desired result.

Not to sound promotional, but simply to explain: Storage Commander has a "Do Not Rent" list feature built in that allows you to select "Do Not Rent In The Future" that basically puts the customer on a list. If that customer then tries to rent in the future, that customer will then be flagged by name and/or phone number and shows the previous account in question. It then gives the operator choices on how to proceed.

This feature works across multiple properties as well, so if an operator has 5 for example, they will be flagged at any of the other owned properties.
                      Kevin Kerr
                      Storage Commander Management Software
                      kevin@storagecommander.com
                      Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

I keep a list on Word that I add to when necessary. It includes their name, ph #, date(s) they rented, and why I will not rent to them. I only call our other location to give them a heads up about a certain person/tenant, not other facilities. No other facility has ever called me to say "hey, we have this tenant here that we think you'd be wise not to rent to", so, I don't call them.

With past due payments, I won't take a check. And if they are in lien, it's cash only.
                        Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

My take away from the replies is that it's perfectly legal to keep a "list". I also see the various ways that past due customers are handled. I agree with PAC that each customer needs to be handled individually. Those that are usually on time and don't cause any problems might be treated better than those that are continually late and or are problem tenants. Thanks for the replies

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Billings Storage
                            Reply to Fence? Locks? I need help to slow these guys down.
                            by Billings Storage
                            I know I am politically incorrect but how about a minefield, I detest thieves. The cable thing would be your best bet my bosses other business was broken in and they now have it, seems to have stopped the stealing.
                            Today, 09:39 PM
                          • Alicia1018
                            Reply to Break In
                            by Alicia1018
                            Thanks pacnwstorage, I think I'm over-thinking about it lol. It does make sense. I know we have had issues with other tenants in the past where we have had 2 people on a contract, before I started....
                            Today, 08:34 PM
                          • pacnwstorage
                            Reply to Units broken into, renter wants a refund
                            by pacnwstorage
                            "Even the biggest self-storage companies are broken into."

Not here, in 23 years. Especially in the last 5.5 years the security is tighter and tighter. I don't just live here and work in an office. This whole facility is my home and so far, due diligence has remained at the fore...
                            Today, 07:28 PM
                          Working...
                          X