Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Implementing Gate Codes and Electronic Gates - How to Advise Tenants ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implementing Gate Codes and Electronic Gates - How to Advise Tenants ?

We have everything ready to add the PIN codes to our sites. I am going to be using the unit number and last 4 digits of phone number to try to make this as easy as possible for current tenants. We use Sitelink and PTI.
    I am wondering what all I need to include in the email that I send to each tenant?
    Gate Lock out - how many days before lock out?
    Gate Hours - we may extend these hours
    Their Codes - they will be advised to use their unit and last 4 digits of phone number and to call if they are unsure if we have proper information.
    We are going to give 30 days notice . Probably for mid Feb
    Additionally, I have convinced the owner it's time to crack down on late fees. I want to include those fees again in this notification.
    Any advise on how to approach these changes ? I know some tenants are going to be upset at the changes but it's time!
    TIA

Doesn't matter if the tenants are going to be upset. You are stepping up the facility security for them. They have to put big boy pants on. The lock out at gate should be the same time the late fee is added. The unit number with 4 other digits sounds like a lot of numbers. Some of my tenants have problems with 5 digits. Your call. When you make the change and you get push back, stick to your guns and don't cave or you will have "THE INMATES RUNNING THE ASYLUM!"
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      Doesn't matter if the tenants are going to be upset. You are stepping up the facility security for them. They have to put big boy pants on. The lock out at gate should be the same time the late fee is added. The unit number with 4 other digits sounds like a lot of numbers. Some of my tenants have problems with 5 digits. Your call. When you make the change and you get push back, stick to your guns and don't cave or you will have "THE INMATES RUNNING THE ASYLUM!"
      No it really doesn't matter to me if they get upset it's long overdue. I don't let the " The Inmates Run the Asylum " but others do.

Comment

We deny access at the gate when a tenant would be one day late.

The late fee is not applied until the tenant becomes 10 days late.
        It is a $20. late fee or 18% whichever is greater.

Yes, I agree with giving a 30-day notification BEFORE implementing gate codes AND the application of a late fee.

You can say things like..the new owners must implement these NEW POLICIES

In your gates software program add 2 time zones.

Normal access is 6 am - 10 pm
        24-hour access

In the letter explain that you are implementing new policies.
        including all tenants must now use a unique access code.
        In this letter urge all the tenants to call or come to the office to get their access code.
        By asking them to come in and/or call this will give you an opportunity to record in account notes who now has their code AND it will also give you an opportunity to "teach" them how to use the keypad!

As far as letting them know about the late fee new procedure, all you have to say is things like
        This is a new policy and there is no further action on your part.
        If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Good luck and keep us posted.
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Billings Storage
          Reply to Fence? Locks? I need help to slow these guys down.
          by Billings Storage
          I know I am politically incorrect but how about a minefield, I detest thieves. The cable thing would be your best bet my bosses other business was broken in and they now have it, seems to have stopped the stealing.
          Today, 09:39 PM
        • Alicia1018
          Reply to Break In
          by Alicia1018
          Thanks pacnwstorage, I think I'm over-thinking about it lol. It does make sense. I know we have had issues with other tenants in the past where we have had 2 people on a contract, before I started....
          Today, 08:34 PM
        • pacnwstorage
          Reply to Units broken into, renter wants a refund
          by pacnwstorage
          "Even the biggest self-storage companies are broken into."

Not here, in 23 years. Especially in the last 5.5 years the security is tighter and tighter. I don't just live here and work in an office. This whole facility is my home and so far, due diligence has remained at the fore...
          Today, 07:28 PM
        Working...
        X