Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you get reimbursed for doing nightly deposits / using your car to drive to bank?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you get reimbursed for doing nightly deposits / using your car to drive to bank?

I'm curious about something. (I'm asking storage managers, i.e. employees.) The company I work for used to make us do bank deposits every night after we close. For instance, if we close at 5:30 PM, I would then get into my car and drive to the bank, drop off our daily cash and checks, then stop by the head office to drop off daily paperwork (where the comptroller's office was located) and then drive back. It's all in the same city, but doing a quick Google maps of the route shows that it will add up to 4.2 miles and about 20 minutes of time.

They never reimbursed us for the 20 minute overtime and when I brought up the gas money, the comptroller told me to turn in the gas receipt and he'll reimburse.

So I'm wondering, how do you guys do daily deposits? Do you use your own car? And do you get reimbursed for that?

And lastly, is it even legal to make employees use their own car and overtime without reimbursing them? We're in the Washington State.

The owner or management company will push the envelope, especially if you are on salary. I go to my bank in the morning before I open for the day. I get $75 each paycheck, 2 times a month, for fuel, time and wear and tear on the vehicle. That also includes time to the local hardware store and to the post office and to the office supply store. All are very close.

Heck, they even give me money toward the Comcast cable bill, $60 a month, because my office uses my router signal for all office computer functions. All in all they have been completely fair with me.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I make daily deposits.
      Each business day I take the day's before deposit to the bank.
      We do record the miles driven and will submit them at the end of the month and we do get reimbursed.

.58 cents per mile is paid to the employee who makes a bank run.
      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Also note that if your employer pays you less than the IRS Mileage rate you can claim the difference on your taxes at the end of the year. For 2018 the rate was .54 per mile.

If you are an hourly employee I believe it would be illegal for an employer to make you work off the clock.

I do my own deposits and I live 1/4 mile from my bank and I have a night deposit key so no inconvenience for me.

Comment

They pay mileage but since I live in town and it's a little more than a stone's throw from both bank and work I don't claim it. It would take forever to build any amount up. But frankly, they should!
          Don't be so hard on yourself. The mom in E.T. had an alien living in her house for days and didn't notice.

WA State

Comment

At my last job, I didn't get any mileage/gas reimbursement, so I kept track and deducted the mileage on my taxes per the IRS guidelines.

As far as making you do it off the clock, that part isn't legal. I would bring it up to them and if they don't fix it, then I would report it to the labor board. They will end up paying not only going forward, but back pay and penalties!
            Last edited by MamaDuke; 10th January 2019, 03:26 PM.
            MamaDuke

Comment

Thank you, everyone for the info. It is all very helpful! I learn a lot from this forum.

Comment

When I turn in my time sheets, I note the miles I drive on any given day and the company pays me X amount per mile. All my deposits, post office runs, etc are done during office hours.

Comment

Wow. We've been told to do bank deposits and paperwork drops after closing (all unpaid) for at least 20 years to date. Now the comptroller guy (responsible for this) has retired and I'm just realizing all these nuances. His reasoning behind making us drop the money after closing was that it can be stolen from the office. (Although for the entire time this business existed, it has never happened.)

So yeah, if you count 20 minutes, 6 days a week, times 20 years. That's a lot of driving on our dime, hah

PS. Last year (when the guy left) we stopped doing deposits after closing. Now we do it in the morning, on the company time. Although gas and car wear and tear is still unpaid.

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post
                    Wow. We've been told to do bank deposits and paperwork drops after closing (all unpaid) for at least 20 years to date. Now the comptroller guy (responsible for this) has retired and I'm just realizing all these nuances. His reasoning behind making us drop the money after closing was that it can be stolen from the office. (Although for the entire time this business existed, it has never happened.)

So yeah, if you count 20 minutes, 6 days a week, times 20 years. That's a lot of driving on our dime, hah

PS. Last year (when the guy left) we stopped doing deposits after closing. Now we do it in the morning, on the company time. Although gas and car wear and tear is still unpaid.
                    WOW is right.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                      I make daily deposits.
                      Each business day I take the day's before deposit to the bank.
                      We do record the miles driven and will submit them at the end of the month and we do get reimbursed.

.58 cents per mile is paid to the employee who makes a bank run.
                      Same here, We go half an hour before our designated lunch break daily- on the clock so we are getting paid for our time as well as the mileage.
                      You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X