Do you get paid for a lunch break?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you get paid for a lunch break?

Again question to employees -- if you're a storage owner, I know that you don't get paid for it

Say, if I worked by myself today. Our business hours are Mon-Fri 8:30A - 5:30P and Sat. 9:00A - 5:00P. Say, today, Tuesday, I was technically on the job for 9 hrs. Since I was by myself I had to "have" my lunch in the office (meaning that if anyone came in, I had to drop whatever I was doing and deal with the customer. So I wouldn't call it "my own time.")

But I will get paid only for 8 hrs.

Is it something normal for this industry? How do you guys deal with this lunch break thing?

I would check with your boss about how your lunch breaks work. Unless you are allowed to close for your break, you should be getting paid for the entire day. I work 8 hour days by myself. I live on-site and my apartment is accessible from the office. I don't get/have a traditional "break" so I get paid for the entire 8 hour day.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

I have the same situation as DairyGirl. I get paid for the entire day ( 9am-6pm ) because I don't actually have a break. I close to get something to eat and if someone comes in then I take care of them. PS next door closes for lunch and customers can see them in the office eating or reading but they won't unlock the door and help them so they come to us. I take breaks as needed. Potty breaks for me & the dog, walking around the property, etc. Works out well for me.
      The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

I walk in and get food at my residence whenever I want and am on salary so I get paid when I eat when I want to. I also get to close early if it is dead. I close or open late if I have a doctor or dental appointment. I close down the office to make a bank deposit and also get fuel and mileage wear and tear on my vehicle. "It's good to be the king".
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post
          Again question to employees -- if you're a storage owner, I know that you don't get paid for it

Say, if I worked by myself today. Our business hours are Mon-Fri 8:30A - 5:30P and Sat. 9:00A - 5:00P. Say, today, Tuesday, I was technically on the job for 9 hrs. Since I was by myself I had to "have" my lunch in the office (meaning that if anyone came in, I had to drop whatever I was doing and deal with the customer. So I wouldn't call it "my own time.")

But I will get paid only for 8 hrs.

Is it something normal for this industry? How do you guys deal with this lunch break thing?
          Same answer as my last, I believe it would be illegal for your employer to make you work while you are not getting paid if you are an hourly employee. It is different if you are salary, then it would depend on what your employment agreement looks like.

Comment

I get paid for 8 hrs a day/40 hrs a week. If we are busy, I don't get a lunch. In fact, Monday was so busy I had to throw my salad away because it wilted before I could eat it. In some ways, this is my choice.
            AmyLou

Comment

I get paid the entire day 9:30-6 pm, and eat my lunch whenever I can squeeze it in, which as slow as it has been lately, whenever I want..lol.
              I know it's been a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

IMHO if you actually work a 9 hour day, that should include a 30-minute lunch break AND 2-15 minute breaks and you would then be paid for an 8 hour day.

If you are physically working a 9 hour day with no lunch break and no 15-minute breaks, you should then be paid for a 9 hour day.

The reason why you are scheduled for a 9 hour day is so that you can take an uninterrupted 30-minute lunch break and 2 15 minute uninterrupted breaks.

If I were you I would absolutely be checking into my states labor laws.

My spidey senses tell me that your scenario is wrong and illegal.

I work an 8 hour day.
                For that reason, I do keep the door unlocked and try my very best to answer each phone call that may come in while I am eating.

Please keep us posted.
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Meal Breaks

In Washington, employees who will work more than five consecutive hours are entitled to a 30-minute meal break, not less than two hours nor more than five hours from the beginning of their shifts. This time must be paid if the employee is on duty or is required to be at a site for the employer’s benefit. Otherwise, the break may be unpaid.
                  MamaDuke

Comment

Since I am alone in my office and work 8:30am to 5:30pm I close for lunch from 12:30 to 1pm. Tenants are now used to this. Then I take two 15 min breaks when I can.
                    Janice - Maxi-Space Storage and Business Solutions

Comment

Just like my other post, I want to thank everyone for sharing your thoughts on this!

I am an hourly employee. At times there may be more than one person working in the office. In that case we take full lunch breaks if another person can cover for it. But at times, when the person is working alone, we don't close. Just like some of you had said, I bring my food out and eat at the office. But then if someone walks in or calls I have to "drop my lunch" and attend to the customer. Which isn't very convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by jlemke View Post
                        Since I am alone in my office and work 8:30am to 5:30pm I close for lunch from 12:30 to 1pm. Tenants are now used to this. Then I take two 15 min breaks when I can.

Are you then paid for an 8 hour day or are you paid for a 9 hour day?

Comment

IMHO if you are having to work a 9 hour day BUT only receive an 8 hour paycheck, trust and belive that during the lunch break, the lights would be out, the door would be locked and the phone would not be answered.

Comment

I am salary so it is the same no matter what. I lock the door and don't answer it.
                            Janice - Maxi-Space Storage and Business Solutions

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
                              Reply to What's your opinion on renting to "non-profits"?
                              RandyL
                              I have non profits I, give units too. I have some I give reduced rent in exchange for advertising, and I have some that pay our full rates. It all depends on what they want.

I don't think just giving away a unit generates anything. But there are groups that I give units too that...
                              Today, 12:26 AM
                            • Storman
                              Reply to In person marketing tomorrow
                              Storman
                              If I drove by your facility and saw your awning, I would assume your URL is storage.com That's not a great place to have any potential customer go to....
                              Yesterday, 11:15 PM
                            • lenmay
                              Reply to In person marketing tomorrow
                              lenmay
                              Of course Google gives little value to a town with a different name. Name of town is the dominate element of a Google search. Not to mention, that New Castle is 4 miles from the center of Renton. Google doesn't even get anywhere close to New Castle until the 12th listing.

Renton is not...
                              Yesterday, 10:02 PM
                            Working...
                            X