Self Storage Script

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Storage Script

Hello yall, I am new to this forum. First I want to apologize now if this post is not in the correct spot. I am looking for help with the sales portion of self storage. I am quickly learning that no 2 calls are the same. But I am finding myself using the same phrases when trying to get a rental. I keep asking the same questions ex. How much space do you need? How long do you need storage for? Are you using movers? etc. I am reaching out to see what everyone feels about a sales script? It seems that scripting a response to.." I need self storage pricing" would help lead to more sales. I would love you hear your guys thoughts. Thank you for your time

I always want to control the conversation. The prospective tenant usually starts with either "what units do you have" or "what is the cost of your units". I never ever answer either of these questions. I always ask if they know what size unit they need and then I ask what is going in the unit. If they dodge my questions and will not give details then I tell them I am full and can take their name for my waiting list. I want to get a "feel" for the person and what type they are. I also am not going to allow a prospective tenant tell me they can fit a 1 bedroom apartment in a 5x5. I have a facility in an upscale area and don't want to move a tenant in that causes me and my existing tenants problems. It really all depends on your facility, area it is in and how many vacancies you are trying to fill. Sometimes you have to relax some protocols because of a need to fill the units but then weed the problem childs out asap. I don't follow a script per say. It depends on how the person talks to me. I do ask if friends or professional movers are doing the move and how often they will be in the unit. Then I get them to the facility asap because I don't rent units without at least talking to them and then allowing a unit to "open up" at the web site for them to rent if out of town but they still have to see me before they are allowed on the facility. If in person I never rent unless I show a unit. I don't want buyers remorse. I also have them side by side with me in the golf cart and get my security steps stated to them.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Sounds like you have rented a few units! Thank you for the expertise. It just seems that most sales call are repetitive and a script or checklist of some sort would help focus on whats important to get the sale. Ive asked my boss about this and they told me to "just figure it out". Not very helpful to say the least but I am rewarded $$$ for every move-in and want to make sure i'm doing everything I can. Has anyone ever used a script? I am new to the industry but am really enjoying it so far! Thanks in advance for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Storageguy24 View Post
        Hello yall, I am new to this forum. First I want to apologize now if this post is not in the correct spot. I am looking for help with the sales portion of self storage. I am quickly learning that no 2 calls are the same. But I am finding myself using the same phrases when trying to get a rental. I keep asking the same questions ex. How much space do you need? How long do you need storage for? Are you using movers? etc. I am reaching out to see what everyone feels about a sales script? It seems that scripting a response to.." I need self storage pricing" would help lead to more sales. I would love you hear your guys thoughts. Thank you for your time
        If you private message me, we have a script that we follow that we can send you...very simple and easy
        Thanks,

-Ryan

Comment

IMO, a script would be picked up on by the person calling you or in the office and if you think about it, how many times have you tried to get help for anything on the phone or even in person and saw that the helper is following a script and it ticked you off. It does not allow for free thinking and adapting as the conversation goes on. I don't use and never have used a script. Keep spidey senses on alert and adapt to the person in front of you.

Comment

I see what you are saying coming off like a robot. I guess what I am looking for is more of a template that helps keep the conversation focused on whats important. I find myself thinking about the stuff I forgot to say after I have hung up the phone. Frustrating when you don't get the rental. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
              IMO, a script would be picked up on by the person calling you or in the office and if you think about it, how many times have you tried to get help for anything on the phone or even in person and saw that the helper is following a script and it ticked you off. It does not allow for free thinking and adapting as the conversation goes on. I don't use and never have used a script. Keep spidey senses on alert and adapt to the person in front of you.
              I agree. Usually the conversation itself is enough to make you think of the right questions to ask. At the very least, keep a list of some handy. Is the person planning on putting their stuff in the unit and only come back to get it out? Or are they putting things in, like holiday decorations, that they'll need to access as needed. That kind of question can determine unit size...10x10 to cram it all in once, then come get it when no longer need the space. Or a 10x13 or 15 to have a little "wiggle room" to look for what they need. It's a learning process.
              Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Make your conversation friendly. I say while I am looking up my vacant units let me tell you about our facility then I go over the features and benefits. I do completion calls each month to facilities and it is like pulling teeth to get any answers. Most people don't know what to ask. I say so I can come any time I want and you are going to give me a lock? Then I get the access hours and the fees. Flow it into your conversation. Last Skilcheck score was a 96 so it works.
                Janice - Maxi-Space Storage and Business Solutions

Comment

A flow chart or check list is always a good idea to have to make sure you cover things. Even after doing this for a while I sometimes forget. Sometimes customers just want the price and hang up. If you can get a couple of features or information in before you tell them the price that is always helpful.

Be friendly and try to find something in common with them. Are you moving here from out of town or are you moving in town? I remember moving here from XX it sure was a long drive. Oh you're getting married? New job? Congratulations! Make sure that you make a note in the computer so when the customer comes in you can congratulate them again and keep the conversation moving.

Of course, don't make things up, but if you can bond with them or give them a compliment that makes the customer feel like you are caring and so the facility must be good too. They will want to visit and see who this friendly person is. Most facilities just read off the script and aren't very personable.
                  The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Ok great feedback. I really do appreciate it guys and gals. Being in the business for just a short time I learned pretty quickly that move-ins are the most important thing for a facility to succeed. I already been pm'ed a few scripts that others are using and they have all been very helpful. If anyone else has a sales script of some sort I would really appreciate if you let me take a look. You can PM me.I have crazy high move in goals for 2019 and want to make sure Im doing everything I can! Thanks again

Comment

I would definitely agree that a script never feels natural. Think of it more like IF/THEN statements. Most people who call ask just what Pac said, "what units do you have" or "what is the cost of your units", expecting you to list off every size and amount. I counter with, "It's easier if you give me an idea of how many bedrooms worth of stuff you're trying to store," because really I don't have time to play that game. You have to develop the responses to questions in a way that sounds professional and courteous while also not falling into the customer's mental quicksand of being unprepared for the transaction.

I took notes my first few days behind the counter, listening to my manager and how he handled questions. This was my flow chart like Iamkathleenj mentioned. Eventually it all sinks in and you can work on the social bits others have suggested because your IF/THEN conversations are second nature.

Thankfully, you're in the right place and these folks are pros who have been through it all a dozen times.

Welcome to the forums!

Comment

The lady who trained me long ago would always ask, "Are you storing the whole house or just a few things?" If they are storing the whole house, you can then ask the size of their house and have a good starting point. If they are just storing a few rooms or less, then ask what the largest thing they are storing is to also get a good starting point. Do not just read out a list of sizes and prices if they start out by asking a vague question such as, "How much are you storage units?" If they are serious about storing, they WILL have an idea of what needs to go into storage. If they act evasive, emphasize the fact that you are trying to save them frustration and money by being sure they don't rent the wrong size for their needs.

Don't offer any specials unless they ask or you think you're going to lose them to competition based on your conversation. You'd be surprised how many people will pay full price without blinking an eye.

Always ask when they need to start putting things into storage and push for a reservation, emphasizing that unit availability is limited (sense of urgency) and that no credit card is required for reservation nor is there an obligation to rent if their plans change. Even if they don't go for a reservation I always offer to email them a recap of our conversation along with more info so they have everything "in writing." Then you can follow up by phone as well as email if needed.

Also ask if they are storing any mattresses, box springs, couches, chairs, etc. if you sell covers for these things in your store. Let them know that you have all those things available for sale in the office along with disc locks, boxes, tape, etc. so they can do one-stop shopping.

Beware of people who immediately ask what the cheapest unit you have is and/or if you are 24-hour access. Those questions are red flags for someone who plans to use the unit for lodging or illegal purposes. Cheap rent and 24/7 access aren't inherently bad, of course, but those aren't normally the overriding concerns of prospective tenants that you want.
                        Last edited by RMRSS; 10th January 2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

After I have gotten past the initial very generalized questions the person asks I then have also found out what they are storing and then I tell them if I have a unit for them or not and when I say a unit I always say "I have one of those units available right now if you want to come look at it to get a visual to see if it will meet your needs". I don't care if I have 5 of them I always say I have one available. If they don't commit to coming right then to see the unit, because I want them here to see the facility and me, then I will tell them that before they come later that day or another day to please call and verify I still have the unit so they don't waste a trip here. I tell them I am usually full and never hold or reserve units.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                            After I have gotten past the initial very generalized questions the person asks I then have also found out what they are storing and then I tell them if I have a unit for them or not and when I say a unit I always say "I have one of those units available right now if you want to come look at it to get a visual to see if it will meet your needs". I don't care if I have 5 of them I always say I have one available. If they don't commit to coming right then to see the unit, because I want them here to see the facility and me, then I will tell them that before they come later that day or another day to please call and verify I still have the unit so they don't waste a trip here. I tell them I am usually full and never hold or reserve units.
                            Good point, and I will add: ALWAYS show the customer the unit, no matter how much of a hurry they are (or pretend to be) or how many times they've said they've stored before. I can't tell you how many times I've had customers swear a 5x10 will suffice, and then when I show them the unit they say, "Oh, no, I'm going to need something bigger." Saves a lot of work on your end having to transfer them later, especially if promotions/credits were involved.

If they fuss, I point out it's not just about seeing the size, but verifying they are happy with the unit location and condition. It's also an easy way to sell a disc lock by taking one with you when you show the unit so you can slap it right on there.

Comment

Great conversation! I lucked out finding this forum. Please keep it coming!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
                                Reply to What's your opinion on renting to "non-profits"?
                                RandyL
                                I have non profits I, give units too. I have some I give reduced rent in exchange for advertising, and I have some that pay our full rates. It all depends on what they want.

I don't think just giving away a unit generates anything. But there are groups that I give units too that...
                                Today, 12:26 AM
                              • Storman
                                Reply to In person marketing tomorrow
                                Storman
                                If I drove by your facility and saw your awning, I would assume your URL is storage.com That's not a great place to have any potential customer go to....
                                Yesterday, 11:15 PM
                              • lenmay
                                Reply to In person marketing tomorrow
                                lenmay
                                Of course Google gives little value to a town with a different name. Name of town is the dominate element of a Google search. Not to mention, that New Castle is 4 miles from the center of Renton. Google doesn't even get anywhere close to New Castle until the 12th listing.

Renton is not...
                                Yesterday, 10:02 PM
                              Working...
                              X