Tough Tasks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough Tasks

How did you deal with a workplace situation in which you were asked to perform a task outside of your comfort zone?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I can not recall any such request that would have been out of my comfort zone!
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I run the place by myself. My "outside my comfort zone" just doesn't happen here. I may have knowledge or physical limitations that I come up against and then I tell the owner's son to figure it out.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I have previously worked for owners that paid diddly squat, and expected you to do everything from replacing leaky damaged roofing to getting on your hands and knees for landscaping, painting,cleaning the grounds and the empty units, marketing AND running the office AND being on call 24/7- it wore me out and subsequently they have gone through many managers since as it is an unrealistic expectation to do all of that and keep up the office too. Now I am working for a property management company that has a full-time maintenance person on schedule to handle the day to day maintenance and landscaping, but even then if it is something that requires special training and/or licensing ( like wiring or plumbing or tree trimming heights beyond our 10 ft ladder reach) we will hire out for that job.I really appreciate that and I can devote more time to keeping things organized and clean in the facility and office. We have a system in place where I submit the work that we cannot do on site to our home office, and they will schedule a 3rd party vendor to come out and complete the job as needed. Otherwise-If there is a task outside my comfort zone I will ask them exactly how they want me to accomplish the task, and have them put it in writing just in case. But on a side note: I have never been asked to do anything questionable by the company I now work for.
        Last edited by wc1974; 11th January 2019, 03:09 PM.
        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
          Reply to What's your opinion on renting to "non-profits"?
          RandyL
          I have non profits I, give units too. I have some I give reduced rent in exchange for advertising, and I have some that pay our full rates. It all depends on what they want.

I don't think just giving away a unit generates anything. But there are groups that I give units too that...
          Today, 12:26 AM
        • Storman
          Reply to In person marketing tomorrow
          Storman
          If I drove by your facility and saw your awning, I would assume your URL is storage.com That's not a great place to have any potential customer go to....
          Yesterday, 11:15 PM
        • lenmay
          Reply to In person marketing tomorrow
          lenmay
          Of course Google gives little value to a town with a different name. Name of town is the dominate element of a Google search. Not to mention, that New Castle is 4 miles from the center of Renton. Google doesn't even get anywhere close to New Castle until the 12th listing.

Renton is not...
          Yesterday, 10:02 PM
        Working...
        X