Most bizarre tenant I've dealt with in a long while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most bizarre tenant I've dealt with in a long while

There must be something in the water, folks, I tell ya!

Episode 1: This guy walked in mid-November to inquire about a space. I was not there that day, but my colleague showed him a 10x10 drive-up unit and ended up renting to the guy. Our tenants must either provide proof of insurance or buy coverage through us. This was explained to this man multiple times before he decided to rent. After the rental, he goes on Google and gives us a 3-star review saying he doesn't like being "forced" to buy insurance or prove he has insurance, that it seems like a "scam," that it wasn't explained to him clearly, and that he would have walked away if had known As if we were holding a gun to his head as he signed the insurance addendum. My colleague said he uttered not one word of complaint in the office.

Episode 2: He fails to put a lock on the space as required by contract, but has not moved anything into the unit yet. So I leave him a voicemail (also sent text and email) giving him 48 hours to lock the unit before we place our lock on it. He doesn't respond, so we lock it.

Episode 3: He calls us a few days after we had to lock his unit and says he couldn't get in the gate. This happened just a few minutes before he called, and we were in the office! I told him I wish he had simply stopped by the office since we were right there, but he said he's a "busy man" and doesn't know now when he'll be able to return. I then ask him if he received my voicemail about the lock on his unit. He responds, "I didn't get any voicemail from you, come on!" (as if I'm lying about it). I said you may not have gotten it, but I did leave it, along with a text and email. Some days later, he finally puts a lock on the unit, so we remove ours.

Episode 4: He emails us on January 2 (hasn't paid for January yet) saying, "Please advise as to the last day of this contract. I won't be needing your services after that date and will not be renewing.
    Please reply by email as my phone does not receive calls from your number." We remind him that he has rented the unit for this month and owes the rent. He comes in to pay and then complains that he didn't' receive an invoice so feels he shouldn't have to pay. I offer to print one out for him right then and there or he can come look at his account screen if my verbally telling him he owed wasn't enough. He hands over the cash and continues to rant about not receiving an invoice. I print and email him a receipt and bid him a good day.

Episode 5: He removes his lock on January 11 and the unit is empty, so I move his account out and email him a moveout receipt. He replies, "My receipt says 'paid through January 31, 2019.' I will not need access beyond January 31, 2019. I'll let you know the day before when I need to access the unit. Do not disable the gate access." So I reply that as we have gone over before, he is required to keep a lock on the space and that I will keep ours on there until he replaces his lock. I reverse the moveout in SiteLink and decide to play along with his little game.

Episode 6: We send out emailed invoices as always for the next month (February) on January 18. The email clearly states to disregard the invoice if you plan on vacating before the invoiced month. He replies, and this is the one that takes the cake, folks:

So sorry about your "challenges" in life. I don't know how I can make this any clearer. I am done with you. I don't need or want your service. I don't deal with people like you once I am made aware.

See if this helps: I vacated the day you wrote me whining about my lock being removed. Close the account. I will NOT be back. Feel free to sleep in the unit for the rest of the month, my treat.

Best of luck with your other issues. (come on, you know what I mean)

Hoo boy-I feel ya. Must be the brother of my whack a doodle.
    When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

AS I have preached here many times. He is another "entitled jerk" that feels they don't have to abide by the same rules as all other tenants and then want to talk down to you so they feel better about themselves. The guy is obviously full of $#&% and I am sure he knows people that feel the same way you do about him and just dread him even entering their spaces and having to talk to him. I could never ever know someone like that. I would cut them out of my life asap and never look back. By the time a prospective new tenant gets out of the golf cart, after showing them a unit, there is no grey area as to who is in charge here and how it will go if the rules/regulations/policies are not followed. I have even looked right at them if they seem like they are waffling on that decision and just told them there is no pressure to move in and it is their call. In 5+ years here I have only had 2 people say they will "think on it".

I look at it one way. I live and work here. I AM GOING TO BE SAFE and if I am safe then so are the tenants here. If they want to dictate what they want to abide by then they either need to find another facility or buy their own facility.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        AS I have preached here many times. He is another "entitled jerk" that feels they don't have to abide by the same rules as all other tenants and then want to talk down to you so they feel better about themselves. The guy is obviously full of $#&% and I am sure he knows people that feel the same way you do about him and just dread him even entering their spaces and having to talk to him. I could never ever know someone like that. I would cut them out of my life asap and never look back. By the time a prospective new tenant gets out of the golf cart, after showing them a unit, there is no grey area as to who is in charge here and how it will go if the rules/regulations/policies are not followed. I have even looked right at them if they seem like they are waffling on that decision and just told them there is no pressure to move in and it is their call. In 5+ years here I have only had 2 people say they will "think on it".

I look at it one way. I live and work here. I AM GOING TO BE SAFE and if I am safe then so are the tenants here. If they want to dictate what they want to abide by then they either need to find another facility or buy their own facility.
        I hear you, but this was entitlement mixed with some kind of drugs on the side

Comment

I have a feeling if it were not for warning labels, he would have perished long ago.
          A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

That is called the "millennial cocktail" if they grew up with brainwashing courtesy of your local union led educational mill. We just got to see how much the L.A., Ca. teachers care for their students. Sorry but this is low hanging fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
              Hoo boy-I feel ya. Must be the brother of my whack a doodle.
              I have a few of the cousins at my place. Haha
              Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

The drama never stops with these clowns! It is almost like coming to work at a studio set with their endless dialogues and scripts that are just way too professional. Some of them are hilarious though. However, it is usually the bad eggs that get us banging our heads on the wall.
                Cameron Robertson - Self Storage Northern Beaches

Comment

LOL I've had a few of those cousins also DairyGirl
                  AmyLou

Comment

I have a tenant that sounds very similar , I just evicted her she has until a specific date to vacate , after that date I have the rights to remove her goods . Done !

Comment

Don't cave and get 'em out. They are a blight on the facility and piss off other tenants while at the facility. Cater to the majority and not to the few entitled idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
                        I have a feeling if it were not for warning labels, he would have perished long ago.
                        He is a victim of tide pods and plastic bags over the head syndrome

Comment

That's so crazy! Some people...I just don't get it.

At my last property, I had a woman call the cops on me because we were "stealing her money and belongings," because I would not let her clear her items out until she paid current (she was over 2.5 months past due). I also had a guy leave a long and raging review about what terrible people we were and throw bags of human excrement all over the property because he went to his unit on Thanksgiving and couldn't get in because he was overlocked (he'd pad after-hours the day before). He threatened to come in the office and puke on us because "we made [him] so sick."

And yesterday, at my current property, I had a gem of a response to letting people know the driveway had finished being paved so access to the property would now be unhindered when I was asked, "Can you go F*** yourself?"

I don't remember people being so rude and entitled 10 years ago....

Laura

Is there a method to my madness, or a madness to my method?

Comment

You can thank the pres term from 2008 to 2016 for the entitlement era start and blossoming. I have said it many times and proof is seen daily on this forum with these stories.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Upnorth
                              Reply to Replacing Shingle Roofs - Shingles or Metal
                              by Upnorth
                              I'm curious what you ended up doing? I recently bought a building that was constructed in 1995 and needs a new roof. It's a pole barn type building, with steel walls, wood trusses, OSB deck, and asphalt shingles. I want to put a steel roof over the shingles, but am hearing different ways of doing so....
                              Today, 08:25 AM
                            • pacnwstorage
                              Reply to Had to reach for the Mace today.......
                              by pacnwstorage
                              No problem. I read one way and was meant another. I train tenants fro the get go that it is my way and nothing else. It is all written down and agreed to when they initial and sign the lease. Sometimes someone acts crazy on a tenant's behalf and that is when I remind them that I will win the disagreement....
                              Yesterday, 10:28 PM
                            • Grizz
                              Reply to Had to reach for the Mace today.......
                              by Grizz
                              I asked the question incorrectly.

A bad guy will be more aggressive towards a petit female vs someone your size, in which case they are more likely to back away. I think a female should be more alert and ready to draw since a physical confrontation is something she will more than likely...
                              Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                            Working...
                            X